Sitka Ambient UL 60 Hoody Review

Hi-liner

FNG
Yeah they're going to be very (very) close
Last question, but have you had durability issues with either your ambient or mdwi? I know not to wear one while busting thick brush, but I've seen a lot of people say that they’ll get ripped/damaged from wearing a heavy pack.

You seem like you get to use your gear hiking & hunting more than most, so I’d love to hear how yours are holding up.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
How do you feel these compare to a windshirt/alpha hoodie two piece set up? I just picked up a BD alpine start for a decent price based on your recommendation, and am on the lookout for an alpha hoodie to pair with it, probably the farpoint 60gm when it comes back in stock. Looking forward to the versatility of a two piece, but not sure if it'll be more hassle than it's worth?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last question, but have you had durability issues with either your ambient or mdwi? I know not to wear one while busting thick brush, but I've seen a lot of people say that they’ll get ripped/damaged from wearing a heavy pack.

You seem like you get to use your gear hiking & hunting more than most, so I’d love to hear how yours are holding up.
No durability issues w/ either; you can expect some minor piling under the shoulder straps- but it's minor and no way effects performance at all

How do you feel these compare to a windshirt/alpha hoodie two piece set up? I just picked up a BD alpine start for a decent price based on your recommendation, and am on the lookout for an alpha hoodie to pair with it, probably the farpoint 60gm when it comes back in stock. Looking forward to the versatility of a two piece, but not sure if it'll be more hassle than it's worth?

It's the only to fly IMHO :D

These breathable mid-layers (including the "non-naked ones" like the Ambient) do great on the move, but they offer little resistance to wind (or light precip for that matter), so having a wind layer to go over them when needed is almost mandatory. Even more so w/ "naked" Alpha. The "naked" versions are also a lot more prone to snagging, so again another place where the wind layer can help.

Hi-liner

FNG
No durability issues w/ either; you can expect some minor piling under the shoulder straps- but it's minor and no way effects performance at all

It's the only to fly IMHO :D

These breathable mid-layers (including the "non-naked ones" like the Ambient) do great on the move, but they offer little resistance to wind (or light precip for that matter), so having a wind layer to go over them when needed is almost mandatory. Even more so w/ "naked" Alpha. The "naked" versions are also a lot more prone to snagging, so again another place where the wind layer can help.
That’s great to hear regarding the durability. Thanks for all of your help and responses!

After a week in Canada this summer and whittail hunting in the south in January I sold my 100 I liked my ul 60 more. For the extra weight of the 100 I didn't think it was that much warmer.iirc the 100 was 5 oz heavier in an xl (10 vs 15 oz)

Hi-liner

FNG
After a week in Canada this summer and whittail hunting in the south in January I sold my 100 I liked my ul 60 more. For the extra weight of the 100 I didn't think it was that much warmer.iirc the 100 was 5 oz heavier in an xl (10 vs 15 oz)
Sounds like the ambient jackets (either the original 150 weight or the new 200) would be best for whitetail or even slower paced turkey hunting.

Depending on how much I like the 75, I might get the 200 to use for late season elk here in MT. I have to make sure my wife doesn’t get too angry about all of these fancy new clothes or she might bury me in them.