Sitka Ambient jacket / Aero lite jacket layering

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Working on my layering system. Started with seed corn sweatshirts and Carhartts for most of my life. Slowly trading out for better stuff. Buying one piece at a time as I can afford it. I hunt in rolling pine forests. November hunting. Temperature normally between 0 and 30, but seems like it’s 20 degrees most often. My style of hunting is to walk approximately a mile from camp and sit for an hour at so. If nothing is seen, I slow hunt during the middle of the day and then set up again in the evening.

Currently have first Lite wick 150 hoodie, kuiu 97 and Sitka Ambient Jacket. Want to add a Sitka Aero lite jacket next when they come on sale. I’m a 2xl in everything but the 97. 3xl in that. Has anyone used the Aerolite over the ambient as a puffy when stopped? If so, how did it work? I did try an Aerolite on a while ago and liked fit of a 2xl but only had a tshirt on under it. The sleeves seemed tighter than I expected. Did not have an ambient at the time to try on with it. Thinking the Aerolite would be a good layer over the ambient if the fit is correct and comfortable. Thoughts?

Thanks. -Rufus

H80Hunter

WKR
I’d guess you’d want to size up the Aerolite a little to fit over the ambient. In my case I can wear an XL wick/XL fleece hoody/XL ambient but I need a 2XL Aerolite over that.

OP
R

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, that’s kind of what I was thinking. Thanks for the info. Do you layer the Aerolite over the ambient? If so, how did that work out? Thanks again. -Rufus

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Working on my layering system. Started with seed corn sweatshirts and Carhartts for most of my life. Slowly trading out for better stuff. Buying one piece at a time as I can afford it. I hunt in rolling pine forests. November hunting. Temperature normally between 0 and 30, but seems like it’s 20 degrees most often. My style of hunting is to walk approximately a mile from camp and sit for an hour at so. If nothing is seen, I slow hunt during the middle of the day and then set up again in the evening.

Currently have first Lite wick 150 hoodie, kuiu 97 and Sitka Ambient Jacket. Want to add a Sitka Aero lite jacket next when they come on sale. I’m a 2xl in everything but the 97. 3xl in that. Has anyone used the Aerolite over the ambient as a puffy when stopped? If so, how did it work? I did try an Aerolite on a while ago and liked fit of a 2xl but only had a tshirt on under it. The sleeves seemed tighter than I expected. Did not have an ambient at the time to try on with it. Thinking the Aerolite would be a good layer over the ambient if the fit is correct and comfortable. Thoughts?

Thanks. -Rufus
Check out FORLOH: 100% sourced and made in America - Lifetime Warranty!

What I've noticed with the ambient hoody is just about anything you put over it will work well, I have even used my stone glacier m7 rain coat, now that jacket is breathable as well. All depends on what you need for that day. All about the temperatures and conditions

uncastan

FNG
I use both and have combined them on hunts. The new aero lite is not as warm as the old Kelvin lite hoody, unfortunately. The ambient/aerolite is a good combo for a little more warmth. Wish sitka would go back to the Kelvin lite

OP
R

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
I use both and have combined them on hunts. The new aero lite is not as warm as the old Kelvin lite hoody, unfortunately. The ambient/aerolite is a good combo for a little more warmth. Wish sitka would go back to the Kelvin lite
Are you going Ambient under the Aerolite or Aerolite under the Ambient? I would imagine having the Ambient under the Aerolite would work best, but the sleeves on the Ambient seem larger than the sleeves on the Aerolite so wondering how it works. Thank you for the info. -Rufus

Not to derail, but I found the same thing. I sold my aerolite and kept my old kelvin lite because it was warmer.

@Rufus I have worn my ambient under my kelvin lite and it works fine And breathes very well. I am not sure I would have enough room to wear the puffy under the ambient and it would probably compress the loft in both.

My Kelvin Aerolite is the worst, overpriced jacket I've ever purchased. Several issues, but the worst is the zipper. I've had it two winters and both winters, I've had to send it in for repair to the zipper. It completely separates and won't move. It's gone at least 8 weeks each time, so for over 2 months during the winter, I'm unable to wear my $300 coat. This is ridiculous. I will never buy another Sitka product and would highly discourage others from purchasing anything Sitka as I think it's all overpriced for the quality. There are other options at a fraction of the cost that won't let you down.

CB4

WKR
My Kelvin Aerolite is the worst, overpriced jacket I've ever purchased. Several issues, but the worst is the zipper. I've had it two winters and both winters, I've had to send it in for repair to the zipper. It completely separates and won't move. It's gone at least 8 weeks each time, so for over 2 months during the winter, I'm unable to wear my $300 coat. This is ridiculous. I will never buy another Sitka product and would highly discourage others from purchasing anything Sitka as I think it's all overpriced for the quality. There are other options at a fraction of the cost that won't let you down.
I think the aerolite move was a big miss for Sitka all together. They arent nearly as warm as the original Kelvin jacket/hoody. There are better options that cost less and work better in my opinion.

I have the Kelvin Aerolite and have used the Ambient jacket under it many times. I got the Ambient hoody and now use that much more. The Ambient jacket was just a touch too much warmth and bulk and the hoody works better for me. As for size I wear a large but I buy XL for coats I will be layering under and in the case we are discussing here it works great.

I have the Aerolite jacket and a few of the vests. Their warmth to weight ratio is incredible in my opinion. My understanding is that it’s designed as a lightweight puffy. That’s in terms of actual physical weight but also insulation. It’s not a burly late season piece. I think it is also intended to breathe a bit better than a traditional puffy.

If you’re getting cold in it then my guess is it’s probably being used outside of the purpose that it was designed for. If you listen to John Barklow at Sitka talk for about two minutes on any podcast it will become quite evident (to me at least) that he’s not going to completely “miss” on any piece. It may just be that his design intent is lost on some users. Not knocking anyone, just stating my thoughts.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
I have owned numerous Sitka pieces for several years and cannot complain about any of them to the point of saying they're useless or of poor quality. Pricey? Yes. I only buy sale or discount when I can and even used items if I find what I want.

I would suggest looking at the Stratus jacket with the Ambient as a possible combination. You get wind proofing and quiet outer and can remove the hood. I find it's very versatile and works well with a variety of layers. I can't justify a Jetstream because I'm happy with the Stratus.