Sitka Ambient Hoody vs fleece

Has anyone replaced their grid fleece or normal fleece mid layer with the Ambient? If so, how is it holding up and does it work better than your fleece?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAPTOR

WKR
Has anyone replaced their grid fleece or normal fleece mid layer with the Ambient? If so, how is it holding up and does it work better than your fleece?

I've worn the hell out of mine. It'll take the place of my grid fleece for most things...I find it more breathable and easier to dump heat out of. It sheds light precipitation much better than my fleece does as well.

I've worn the hell out of mine. It'll take the place of my grid fleece for most things...I find it more breathable and easier to dump heat out of. It sheds light precipitation much better than my fleece does as well.
Agree with the above. It is warmer and more wind resistant but somehow breathes and wicks sweat very well. It’s a nice piece and an enhancement over my grid fleece. It’s a nice midpoint between a base layer and a puffy.

OP
O
Any reason to keep the grid fleece in the rotation over the ambient?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Yes and yes. It’s a bit warmer, more breathable, and deals with light precip well. Best Sitka piece I’ve used. Hood works great as well.

Lawnboi

WKR
Replaced some grid fleece use for me. I still have some fleece layers and will continue to wear them but I’d agree with most of the above that it’s warmer, more wind resistant, breaths better and dries faster. It’s an awesome material.

this but the hoodie not having pockets is mind blowing. think im going to have a kangaroo pocket added to it

this but the hoodie not having pockets is mind blowing. think im going to have a kangaroo pocket added to it

Probably the best gear mod Ive done. I took the hoodie pocket off an old hoodie and had and core lightweight shirt that was ripped. Lined the hoodie pocket with the subalpine shirt and sewed it onto the ambient. Definitely made it more functional as an outer layer as well as a mid layer.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed. I’d bet at some point they’ll revise it
I really wish they would just take the MDWi hooded jacket from the Arrowhead line and add it to their hunting line. Full zip, hooded, and good pocket placement. It’s a little bit heavier because of the added zippers and 30D vice the 20D fabric the hunting line Ambient has, but it’s a trade I’m willing to make 100% of the time.

We got the MDWi at work and it quickly became my favorite jacket. Ended up buying a non-Multicam one to wear for hunting.

jd1006

WKR
Barklow said that the fabric in the MDWi is inferior to the Evolve insulation they use in the Ambient. He didn’t say how inferior it was, but he made a point to differentiate them. I like the hooded “shacket” that they discontinued. I think it’s an awesome mid layer for most of the year and if they improved the ambient hoody to have those same features, I’d buy it. The cuffs with weak face fabric get ripped asap, but it’s nice to have more than a vest to retain the heat from your armpits when you want to warm up…so that’s why I love that shacket.

Probably the best gear mod Ive done. I took the hoodie pocket off an old hoodie and had and core lightweight shirt that was ripped. Lined the hoodie pocket with the subalpine shirt and sewed it onto the ambient. Definitely made it more functional as an outer layer as well as a mid layer.

im look at doing something similar for sure

K_pem

WKR
Limited experience with it in warmer temps, but this winter it definitely replaced my fleece options. It just thermoregulates too well to beat and is at the same time much warmer than any of my fleeces. I don't think its light enough or applicable enough to replace my Kuiu Peloton 97 for earlier seasons, but I think the ambient will likely live in my pack/kit this spring and from late September-on.

Any reason to keep the grid fleece in the rotation over the ambient?

I'd take grid fleece for really hard brush busting and for slightly warmer temps (since the fleece isn't quite as good at insulating). I have the MDWI (mil version of ambient) and I really love it, but I'd be lying if I said it felt durable. No it's not flimsy, it's just not like a fleece you can beat on.

I will also say that the mdwi is really warm. Like shockingly warm. Hiking and running in it this winter down to 0 degrees I was never cold. In fact it was far warmer than I'd expected. I had to open it up to dump even heat under very high activity. It absolutely does dry faster than a core heavyweight fleece or similar weight fleece, and I found it to dry at a similar rate to the modweight fleece which I love, but the mdwi and ambient have a greater range of use

dony

FNG
Been using polartec alpha for years, hands down beats grid fleece when bonded to thin slighlty wind resistant fabric. Ambient is a warmer upgrade. Still prefer my active shortsleeve hoody though, because the ambient jacket is too warm unless it's 20 degrees. The ambient hoody would be good inbetween, but I also wear ascent pants when it's frosty. But yes I don't wear grid fleece anymore. I have an outdoor research ascendant jacket for normal color use.