SITKA Ambient Collection

Agree with @Texasbuckeye my ambient sits somewhere between a thin puffy and a grid fleece in terms of warmath, windproofness and breath ability. It does block a breeze and it dumps heat on the move. I am not ready to retire my grid fleece but it is a nice option.

RAPTOR

WKR
The ambient hoody has exceeded my expectations. Eliminated my celcius midi, and has become my go to outer layer in 40 degrees plus in the treestand. I'll wear it as a midlayer in under 40 most likely, under a jetstream. I know I side noted for the UA Infil pants. I returned them, the windstopper doesn't extend around the pants. Back to my stratus, but I ordered the Axis Hybrid, so I'll see how they stack up.

The ambient hoody has exceeded my expectations. Eliminated my celcius midi, and has become my go to outer layer in 40 degrees plus in the treestand. I'll wear it as a midlayer in under 40 most likely, under a jetstream. I know I side noted for the UA Infil pants. I returned them, the windstopper doesn't extend around the pants. Back to my stratus, but I ordered the Axis Hybrid, so I'll see how they stack up.
I like the axis hybrid pants a lot, but they arent exactly as quiet as the stratus pants. Other than the quiet level, both pants are pretty good. I do prefer the stratus bib for 50 and below in the treestand tho, but thats a different discussion.

Stratus are nearly silent.
Axis pants are audible in a calm day, but with a breezy day you wont scare any deer with the axis pants.

Where rhe axis pants shine is those cold days where you want to be moving. The vents, durability, and fit are great for active pants in cold weather.

RAPTOR

WKR
I like the axis hybrid pants a lot, but they arent exactly as quiet as the stratus pants. Other than the quiet level, both pants are pretty good. I do prefer the stratus bib for 50 and below in the treestand tho, but thats a different discussion.

Stratus are nearly silent.
Axis pants are audible in a calm day, but with a breezy day you wont scare any deer with the axis pants.

Where rhe axis pants shine is those cold days where you want to be moving. The vents, durability, and fit are great for active pants in cold weather.

I’m hoping they’re going to be what I’m looking for during the rut. I tend to move around and set up in a few different spots during that time. The stratus don’t breathe and they don’t have vents. I’m basically hoping for something that’s got enough windproofness (is that a word) to be comfortable in the stand but have the ability to vent and hike in between.

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I’m hoping they’re going to be what I’m looking for during the rut. I tend to move around and set up in a few different spots during that time. The stratus don’t breathe and they don’t have vents. I’m basically hoping for something that’s got enough windproofness (is that a word) to be comfortable in the stand but have the ability to vent and hike in between.
Have the stratus and axis for there different uses. Axis is such a sweet pant, but before you use it in stand wear them a bit/wash them. They quiet down significantly, and at most the pants butt is where you get the noise when sitting, or if somehow your rubbing your front legs against the tree itself.

I would have to say i bought both the hoody and jacket. I didn't know where i would fully use them til i read some reviews in here. My biggest beef on the jacket vs the midi is the puffy wrist vs the midi where its tapered and slips under your outer piece much nicer. Wish the jacket came in pyrite...love that color for everything

H80Hunter

WKR
Agree. I’m finding the ambient doesn’t layer as well as the midi in the arms due to the cuff. The material has more stretch though so It’s kind of a horse a piece overall, but I wish they kept the midi style cuff.

My favorite setup the last couple years has been Peloton 97 + Jetstream vest -- is anyone able to comment on if the Ambient can be an all-in-one replacement for both pieces?

My favorite setup the last couple years has been Peloton 97 + Jetstream vest -- is anyone able to comment on if the Ambient can be an all-in-one replacement for both pieces?
I would say no, the main reason being fhe wind resistance of the jetstream.

The ambient does a great job in light wind, and light precip, but driving in my mule while wearing the ambient i could feel wind cut through it after about 10-12 mph. I coupd do some more accurate testing if you want, as far as what mph i could feel wind through it. I might just do that when i go back out this eve.

But since it does breathe, the ambient is not wind proof like the jetstream. It is wind resistant to about 10mph i would say.

I would say no, the main reason being fhe wind resistance of the jetstream.

The ambient does a great job in light wind, and light precip, but driving in my mule while wearing the ambient i could feel wind cut through it after about 10-12 mph. I coupd do some more accurate testing if you want, as far as what mph i could feel wind through it. I might just do that when i go back out this eve.

But since it does breathe, the ambient is not wind proof like the jetstream. It is wind resistant to about 10mph i would say.
Thanks for the feedback, I often find the Jetstream to be unnecessary when stationary as soon as I put my puffy on. My thinking is if the Ambient is warmer than the 97 + Jetstream pairing, then maybe I can get away with just the Ambient.

Will have to get an Ambient and see if it works for me as an all-in-one, so much with gear is down to individual preference and body...

Ok, did a little experiemnt while driving to the stand tonight. Ambient jacket with core lightweight hoody underneath. Opened the windshield to my mule driving and first felt the wind at around 14mph. Under that and i didnt feel anything on my skin. I repeated for consistency, and again right around 14 i started to feel the wind cut through the jacket, slowed again and the feeling definitely went away.

So i would say my ambient jacket cuts winds 13mph or less, whih is also consistent with mt y experience while wearing it atop the blarney castle in ireland, it was blowing around what i expected to he 10-15mph and i was not feeling it at all.

Of course wearing something heavier under might make this wind resistance even more tolerable…i wasnt cold at all, temp is around 52, expected to drop to the upper 40’s tn.

Probably the most versatile piece I own. It has been with me on every hunt from sheep in August to mule deer now in November. I love mine. I had doubts about the durability but it has actually been holding up pretty well.

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
I am very impressed with the Sitka Ambient Jacket. I have taken it in temps ranging from 29 - 50 degrees. I have been in the rain, sleet, and snow. I will most likely pick up another because I have been using it for runs in the morning/evening.

This has been a great layer addition. I am not afraid to get wet in this jacket as it dries incredibly fast. Even while wet is still provides me with adequate warmth. I could write a page on how awesome this jacket is but its almost baby duty time so I will keep this short and sweet. Please forgive me as I am a terrible writer.

TLDR: Buy the jacket.

Example of usage:

Hunting whitetail in 29 degrees weather while snowing.

My layering system for the day.

Head:
Merino Wool beanie under a under armour baseball cap.

Top half:
Sitka light weight
Sitka Ambient Jacket

Bottom half:
Sitka Timber line pants
Outdoor Research Gators

Feet:
Darn tough socks
Crispi nevada uninsulated.

This kept me plenty warm in fact, maybe I put too much into how well the Ambient would breathe as I got sweaty. Maybe I should have paid better attention to my body and my hiking pace. Would pit zips help dump some of my heat? I did get nervous as I got wet from sweat fast. Even though I was soaked for the morning I stayed adequately warm.

My hunting partner wanted to go home around 1400 hours. My jacket was almost completely dry by the time we had driven home. (an hour or two I believe).

I am not bashing the Ambient on the breathability, I think it breathes better than any jacket I have worn. I think I may have pushed it too far.

I think pit zips would be a great addition.

This is an incredibly versatile piece of gear and it's disappointing that they limited it by having two different Ambient options forcing you to choose between a hood or pockets.

A hood could have increased the versatility of this jacket by allowing you to "bottle" the heat that is escaping from the neck area when you want to warm up. Without a hood you are subject to light rain finding its way down your back. Or snow from a tree.

I could use my lightweight hood and I did, but the material on the Ambient jacket would have been better.

In the end, I am a Sitka fanboy, I love their gear, and I think their customer service is great. I like that John Barklow really tests the gear.

Who knows John Barklow could read this and think I am a moron and have a perfectly good reason for the way they do their designs as he has much more survival knowledge than I could ever hope to get.

I would most definitely recommend this jacket.

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some input from those who have used the Ambient with the Kuiu Base/Mid layers. Some of you may have seen my Kuiu thread.

I’ve got an Aoudad hunt coming up, SE NM Jan 20-Feb 4. It will be 20-60 degrees, and could be very windy making it much colder. Right now my Kuiu base and mid layering consists of the UM 125 LS or Peloton 118 and a Peloton 97 hoody.

Is the Ambient hoody warm enough to hold up in these temps over these layers while moving, or is it warm enough to not wear the 97? Or should I even think about replacing the 97 with a Peloton or Pro Merino 200 Zip-T, in addition to an Ambient?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Looking for some input from those who have used the Ambient with the Kuiu Base/Mid layers. Some of you may have seen my Kuiu thread.

I’ve got an Aoudad hunt coming up, SE NM Jan 20-Feb 4. It will be 20-60 degrees, and could be very windy making it much colder. Right now my Kuiu base and mid layering consists of the UM 125 LS or Peloton 118 and a Peloton 97 hoody.

Is the Ambient hoody warm enough to hold up in these temps over these layers while moving, or is it warm enough to not wear the 97? Or should I even think about replacing the 97 with a Peloton or Pro Merino 200 Zip-T, in addition to an Ambient?
Hard to answer - depends somewhat on how much sun you’re getting. And wind speed. It’s a nice piece but not a miracle worker. In significant wind, you’ll likely want a shell. When moving, probably okay lets a 97 under the ambient. I don’t think I’d start trying to stuff more than baselayers under the hoody. It’s designed to be close fitting, but the loft the interior pile has helps trap heat. Compress it too much and it won’t help you.

Super tag

WKR
I wear the Sitka merino core midweight zip with the ambient, no it’s not a miracle worker but I will say it’s extremely warm and will surprise you. I’m amazed at the warmth even when it’s very cold, even after using this for several months I am still surprised, yes it’s that good. I use this combo hiking in and then throw my down over the top and I’m good.

Last edited:

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
Hard to answer - depends somewhat on how much sun you’re getting. And wind speed. It’s a nice piece but not a miracle worker. In significant wind, you’ll likely want a shell. When moving, probably okay lets a 97 under the ambient. I don’t think I’d start trying to stuff more than baselayers under the hoody. It’s designed to be close fitting, but the loft the interior pile has helps trap heat. Compress it too much and it won’t help you.
Understood, that’s kind of wear my thoughts were but if I wanted to make sure I had my ducks in a row before I decided to order/pass on ordering stuff on the Black Friday sales. I’ll probably just rock with the 118 and 97 underneath should I need it. Kelvin Lite Down over top with the Dew Point set on standby for sitting in the wind. Will probably get a zip off set of bottoms

yeah, this is spot on. I would not want to wear more than a base layer under the ambient. If I need more warmth, I am either layering over the ambient or just wearing a warmer insulation piece utilizing synthetic insulation as you stated you will be moving.

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
This past week in MT the temps were insanely cold (below 20) and eventually got up to 40ish one day. I wore a merino t shirt, long sleeve patagonia cap3 shirt, and an ambient. Wore a Jetstream vest over the ambient on the coldest days. It was perfect. Core was warm the whole time with no issues. When I stopped to glass, I used my Grumman puffy.

I’m sold on the ambient. It was a great piece and I still can’t believe how warm it is. On the warmest day, I started to sweat packing out a deer, but it dried out very quickly.

Last edited:

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
This past week in MT the temps were insanely cold (below 20) and eventually got up to 40ish one day. I wore a merino t shirt, long sleeve patagonia cap3 shirt, and an ambient. Wore a Jetstream vest over the ambient on the coldest days. It was perfect. Core was warm the whole time with no issues. When I stopped to glass, I used my Grumman puffy.

I’m sold on the ambient. It was a great piece and I still can’t believe how warm it is. On the warmest day, I started to sweat packing out a deer, but it dried out very quickly.
Off topic but out of curiosity, what were you wearing for bottoms? Thanks for the feedback on the ambient.