Sirui VA-5 the one

tracker12

WKR
Looking to replace my fluid head for my Swaro ATM 65. Is the Siri VA-5 still the standard. Weight is not a big consideration in my choice. I tried some of the LW Chinese builds (Smallrig) and did not like them.

Wheels

WKR
I’ve got an Outdoorsmans pan head and a VA-5 and actually like the smoothness of the Sirui better. I’m sure the Outdoorsmans fluid head would be great for large optics but not necessary for a 65mm.

The VA5 is a great head. By far our best seller. Plus we have a promo code good on Sirui in checkout, promo24. That gets you 10% off of the sale price

Feel free to call me with any questions
Joel
Camera Land- Rokslide Sponsor
516-217-1000

Geewhiz

WKR
Man if weight wasn't an issue and you didnt care about ARCA compatibility I would go with something like a benro s4 or a manfrotto head. I bought a va5 after hearing you guys go on about them and its a significant step down in smoothness and user friendliness from my benro s4. It is, however, significantly smaller and lighter.

Last edited:
OP
tracker12

tracker12

WKR
I am set on ARCA compatibility. I do see that Sirui now has the 5X and older VA-5 is on sale ay many places right now.

MC2FS

FNG
I’m with archp, the VA5 is good but I went went with the Tricer LP. There’s pros and cons to each and I think the VA5 is right in the middle of them. For me, the weight and panning was better in the Tricer.

I’ll bet Tricer’s new BP head is awesome. The con being the price.

I run the VA-5 on one tripod and the Tricer LP on another. Both tripods are Slik 624's. Love the weight of the Tricer, but it takes constant adjusting of the tension. The VA-5 is much better for long glassing sessions. I just put in over 16 hours behind the glass over the weekend, and was so annoyed I was using my Tricer instead of the VA-5.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
I have the VA-5 and it's been great with my ATX 85mm. I went that route as I heard the tricer had a little more difficulty with larger spotters. If I was going with a small spotter (like a Swaro ATC0) or binos, maybe I'd be looking at the tricer a bit more.

I bought the Wiser head for my binoculars, but it holds my 99mm Kowa pretty stable. It’s very smooth on the pan and tilt. Made in USA if that’s important to you.

OP
tracker12

tracker12

WKR
I ended up going with the VA-5.. B&H had them for $104 with $15 rebate. For that price and the positive reviews for such a long time I couldn’t pas it up. Thanks for all the input.