Single trekking pole

Jake T

FNG
Does anybody only pack one trekking pole? I normally carry 2. But last year on my packout I found that I only used 1 so I could have one hand free for whatever I needed.

My whole reason for carrying poles is to help with the packout, but why pack two if I’m only going to use one? I rarely use them any other time.

Flawed logic to ditch one?

The extra few ounces are nothing. I regularly use one (nice to move away anything that can poke or bite you) and keep a second in my pack.

Using two is very nice when packing out in uneven or unstable terrain. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the body as well.

Nice to have in case of first aid. Not everywhere has something suited to making a splint. And if your one breaks then you have nothing.

Sound logic. I think you answered your own question. Do what makes sense. Personally I wouldn't carry and extra anything that wasn't a required piece of gear... leave your backup in your truck.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anybody only pack one trekking pole? I normally carry 2. But last year on my packout I found that I only used 1 so I could have one hand free for whatever I needed.

My whole reason for carrying poles is to help with the packout, but why pack two if I’m only going to use one? I rarely use them any other time.

Flawed logic to ditch one?
I like having two because I use them with my stride to cover ground faster or help with steep hills.
Sound logic. I think you answered your own question. Do what makes sense. Personally I wouldn't carry and extra anything that wasn't a required piece of gear... leave your backup in your truck.
I think this is the first post I’ve seen from you that wasn’t a meme 😅

I pack two but surprisingly a lot of the time only use one pole. Usually because i have my bow in the other hand. If i committed to only taking one pole it wouldn’t bother me most of the time, just comes down to personal preference and the type of terrain you are going into

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainly pack 2 because of the Quick Sticks attachment. In fact they spend most of their time in the side pouch of my pack besides the initial pack in and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archerichards

Lil-Rokslider
Last summer I spent two full weeks backpacking in Wind River Range, WY, heavy packs and lots of miles. I carried only one trekking pole and moved it from hand to hand as needed in case of obstacles, etc. One was all I needed, and I never wanted for a second one. I am 64 years old.

sargent

WKR
On backcountry hunts, I carry one pole. It's half the weight of two poles :unsure:. I use it for pitching my shelter, packing in before the season, hiking in the dark, packing out the first meat load, and occasionally break it out for sketchy downhill sections where a little extra support is needed. When I'm actually hunting, the pole is folded in the pack. On long distance, non-hunting hikes and heavy pack outs, I bring two for better balance and speed. I don't think the "two is one, one is none" mantra applies in this case since there are generally lots of sticks to choose from if your one pole breaks.

khel

FNG
I carry one for hiking and running on difficult trails. Hauling heavy packs - I would use 2 for sure.

jp08ee

FNG
I carry two but have never actually used both. As others have said, nice to have if ever needed and not much weight to it.

S.Clancy

WKR
I only use 1, I like having a free hand to negotiate terrain, move stuff, etc. I use an alumium one for this reason, they don't break

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
Came across this as I was considering the same thing. I rarely, almost never, use two to walk. The main time I need two is when I have packed my Mountain Shelter LT that sets up with two poles. I normally carry a bow or rifle in one hand and I have significant hiking/rucking experience without a trekking pole or hiking stick being an option (military related stuff).

So, when I got into western hunting, posts here on Rokslide convinced me poles are a good idea for hiking and that led to also choosing a shelter that requires trekking poles. Now, I’m definitely questioning the conventional wisdom of that.

May end up with a tarp and just one trekking pole that is largely for the shelter and may get used occasionally for hiking. Definitely decided that for me, when I want to go light and mobile, I don’t need two.

I only use one but can see two being nice for the pack out.

Never even thought I wanted one until I found one left behind at a trail head and picked it up to try out. Game changer for packing heavy through deadfall.