Single Shot + Mountains (THLR)

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Just in time for the sheep opener: Thomas Haugland (Rokslide: @THLR ) throws down. Purposely uses an awkward and "Most unsuitable, but quality" (His words) rifle to show that it's fundamental marksmanship principles that allow you to shoot proficiently at long ranges. This video is a clinic on how to get good shooting in the mountains:

My favourite part: around ~10:20 when he uses non-dialing gear (Kentucky Windage) to try to hit at around 550m. This is cringe for me, because I used to be that guy at the range. "Oh I'll just use the thick post of my duplex reticle and hold off..." Don't be that guy. Get good quality gear. Apply the fundamentals every single shot. Scopes that can dial and return to zero are The Way.

Shameless plug: If you haven't watched Thomas' stuff, go do it right now. (Hope you don't have anything else planned for your day, cause it's a rabbit hole.) I like the winter ptarmagan hunts on skis. Hard A. F.

slowelk

WKR
I watch all of THLRs stuff, and appreciate his approach.

I hope all the people thinking about ditching bipods because of that other thread rethink after watching this video. Backpack as a front support works if you can find a flat spot and the shot angle is mild, but that's not often the case in the mountains. Tell me I'm wrong, YMMV.

ElPollo

WKR
I personally think THLR is the best resource for rifle hunting on YouTube. It’s sad that he doesn’t have 100k subscribers or more. Anyone who is likely to be presented with shots over a couple hundred yards at game should be watching this channel.

His videos are super informative and entertaining. It’s really helped shape some of my understanding and helped to bust some of the old myths about shooting.

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
What’s the scopes he runs? Looks like some of them in his videos have flip up turret covers which I have never seen

Mojave

WKR
Kahles on that one Not sure where he got the turret covers.

He is a member on here. He is mostly on Rokslide.

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys, I'm mostly here. The mountain/ backcountry stuff interest me more than the shooting. Since "sheep opener" was mentioned, this will be the next film.

I use a Kahles Helia 3.5-18x50i with the factory-option flip-cover BDC turret. An ordinary BDC turret also exist. Good scope, fairly lightweight and takes the abuse, but sadly 2nd focal plane.
kipplauf (2).JPG
The reticle, void except illuminated dot.
kipplauf (5).jpg
The road is 2400 meters/ 7800ft slant range. Going here means focus is NOT on the gear - it'll have to take whatever bangs it gets.
C0045T01 (1).JPG
Sun hoodie. Best investment I've done in recent years. No buildup of heat, no excess sweat, no toasted ears/neck.
C0060T01 (1).JPG
Keep in mind I am not unbiased. I show techniques.
C0005T01.JPG

Last edited:

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks THRL for the response.

I have the same rifle you’re using in the same caliber that I picked up last year and I have been shocked with how accurate it is and it’s perfect return to zero when reassembling it.

Mine is definitely accurate enough to deserve a scope that can dial.

How did you install the bipod adaptor into your foreend? I’m going back and forth between that and a Spartan gunsmith adapter embedded in the stock.

One last thing, which factory Lapua ammo have you been running for training?

Thanks so much for your time!

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
The Blaser K95 is amazing! I'm sure the Merkel K5 is similar.

I'm happy with neither the Neopod nor Spartan, simply because I am no fan of proprietary solutions. Both solutions also seem a bit flimsy. (I sin as much as I preach here, at least I try to stay inside one ecosystem...)

I am told if we fill the dug-out with a carbon resin mix, it'll be stronger than aluminium. Will do that next, dig out more and have everything strenghtened.
20230828_075030.jpg
20230828_075020.jpg
20230828_075015.jpg
20220603_074201-01.jpeg

ZAR EC

FNG
Ive been following @THLR for over 10 years and have watched every video posted several times. In my view there is no better practical shooting guide out there. His "under 60 seconds" practical shooting test is pretty much the perfect practice for the type of long range hunting I do in South Africa. It plain works

Mojave

WKR
Tom, thanks!

Glad to see you got down to New Mexico for a pronghorn last year.

I don't know what that Lapua 6.5x55 match ammo cost in Norway, but it is about $42 for the FMJ for 20, and $115 for 50 for the Scenar in the USA.

For the USA the Swede isn't the cheapest choice for practice ammo, the 308 is. I am moving back to Germany in a month, 30-06 is the cheapest choice for Germany. I'll find a k95 Ultimate in 308 or 30-06. I don't like the way the ultimate looks, but I think it is worth it for the ergonomics.

I sold my 3 barrel set here for the move. Was the old model K95 with the American classic stock. Kicked a lot in 30-06 with a 1 inch scope, 5 pound rifle. 222 was awesome, 243 was great.

The Merkel k series, Blaser k95 and k77, Sabatti and Haenel are very similar in regards to design. The Blaser usually cost more, and has a better barrel. The Krieghoff Hubertus cost more is of a different design internally, and Krieghoff doesn't always know how to make a good barrel. So it is possible to pay way more and get way less. Though the Krieghoff is really beautiful but ergonomically rough for long range. That and it is heavy. The other maker is Prinz, not sure what his rifles cost or where he gets his barrels. Heym used to make one called a B20 something? 24? Closer to the Krieghoff.

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to see you got down to New Mexico for a pronghorn last year.

I don't know what that Lapua 6.5x55 match ammo cost in Norway, but it is about $42 for the FMJ for 20, and $115 for 50 for the Scenar in the USA.
New Mexico was great, completely different experience for me. Nice to broaden the horizon. Will probably try desert or high desert next time, something equally alien to me. Pick up some knowledge, not just hunt.

For once, we beat you. 6,5x55 supply is "unlimited" and cost for Scenar is appr $55-60 for 50, Norma the same as they compete very hard for the match market. But this price point applies to the 6,5x55 ONLY, everything else is $3-7 per round. (pistol and 223 exempted)

A friend has a Haenel. Much rougher, but seems to shoot on par with mine. Prinz I have only seen in pictures, but at significantly higher weight it defeats the purpose of a kipplauf in my eyes. But they look lovely!

Last edited:

Mojave

WKR
We had cheap options for 6.5 CM for a few years. The covid thing wrecked that. I think there might be some cheap 6mm Creedmoor. Of course, 223 is not really cheap, with some 69-grain match from Norma and others for $25 a box, it is manageable.

Mojave

WKR
I saw that as pending release, glad to see it is up.

I'll try and steal the tv away from the Disney Plus crowd this afternoon and watch it.