Sighting in procedure for 7mm Rem Mag

PhillyB

WKR
Hey Guys-
I have been a bowhunter all my life. This year I drew my first rifle tag and just bought my first rifle.

I am in the process of figuring out how to go about sighting it in. The shop where I purchased the gun bore-sighted the gun for me and set the dead center at 0" at 100 yds using their range. I understand the sighting in process for dead center at my chosen distance (ex: 100, 200 yds)... but I am unsure how to use the hash marks on the scope.

I am shooting a Vortex scope with the BDC Reticle which has the crosshairs and then 4 hash marks below the main crosshair and 4 off to each side. Since the hash marks are fixed and the scope is not specific to my rifle, how do I go about determining the use for each hashmark as the distance increases?

I have been playing around with the ballistic calculator on the Vortexoptics.com website, but I am not sure I am using it correctly. I was hoping to get some rokslide insider input on how I should go about using these hash marks.

Just FYI.... its a Browning X bolt 7mm Mag and I plan on shooting a winchester SuperX 7mm 150g Rem Mag Power Point

Hardstalk

WKR
Hay phil! Shoot me your number via p.m. I think your still in vegas unless you moved. We will be sighting in my rifle shortly at the range and my buddy is a guru when it comes to rifles. He may be able to get you closer to your hash marks with custom loads and help find your perfect 0.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Phil,

The nice thing about the Vortex BDC is it is subtended in increments of Minute of Angle (MOA). This means you can run your load data (Bullet Ballistic Coefficient, muzzle velocity, atmospheric data) through any reliable ballistic calculator for MOA results, and you can get distances that correspond to the drop hashes, given your zero distance.

Then you can just get to where you can shoot those distances to field-verify your drops.

Attachments

• sub_vpr_hs-lr_s_4-16x50_bdc_moa.jpg
    sub_vpr_hs-lr_s_4-16x50_bdc_moa.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 36
First off those hashes are the true value only at a specific power, probably the highest mag. Second the only way to know for sure is to get a range finder and go shoot to verify what the hashes are and make sure you do it at whatever power you want to use. Usually those reticle a are setup for a 200 yrd zero

shaun

WKR
Phil,

The nice thing about the Vortex BDC is it is subtended in increments of Minute of Angle (MOA). This means you can run your load data (Bullet Ballistic Coefficient, muzzle velocity, atmospheric data) through any reliable ballistic calculator for MOA results, and you can get distances that correspond to the drop hashes, given your zero distance.

Then you can just get to where you can shoot those distances to field-verify your drops.

Matt how are you liking the vortex? I was thinking about throwing one on my Tikka 300

OP
PhillyB

PhillyB

WKR
This is the results of the Vortex ballistics calculator at 200 yd zero.

scope_zps4e816d19.png

So if I understand this correctly, the first hash mark should be relativley close to 276 yds with no angle? I understand this could be a bit off and I need to verify in the field, but is that the idea?

What do the negative numbers (-2.0, -3.1, -4.1, -5.2) represent?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Shaun,

I think Vortex is selling the best value scopes available right now.

Phil,

It looks like those negative numbers are your 10 Mph wind holds in MOA.

OP
PhillyB

PhillyB

WKR
Shaun,

I think Vortex is selling the best value scopes available right now.

Phil,

It looks like those negative numbers are your 10 Mph wind holds in MOA.

Ok. But I am reading correctly with yardages and hashmarks correct?

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
I site all my hunting rifles in at 1.5" high at 100 yards. This should give you about a 200 yard zero. Just aim in the middle of the shoulder and it will cover you out to 300-325 yards.

OP
PhillyB

PhillyB

WKR
I keep it simple

Range it, dial it, shoot it.

I have been reading up on it and trying to learn this method as well. It would seem to me as long as the animal wasnt spooked and you had enough time to set up, this would be the best way.

wapitibob

WKR
I did the range it, plug it in the calculator, dial, then shoot and I won't be going back there. Vortex will make a Yardage turret, you can make your own, or there is a company that makes stick on turret labels. A yardage turret just makes it easy for me and a guy can have several to match different areas. If you shoot 500-600 or less the pressure or temp changes won't be a major issue as long as the turret is for that area initially.