Ruger M77 MkII 7mm rem mag trouble

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, that’s why I’m on this thread because I’m not happy with them haha
Also, after talking to my dad he said he hasn’t put more than 10 rounds in the rifle since owning it because of one shot kills so I bet fouling isnt the culprit. I think this rifle wasn’t made for the elk rounds I’m using due to the rifle twist. I’ll make sure everything is tight before I shoot again maybe even bring my ammo I have for deer to see if that shoots better. It’s starting to look more and more like the Sako is going to be the best option

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
Check all your hardware for proper torque and start over. If it's not gonna cut it just take the Sako.
Think one month is enough time to shoot it before my hunt? I’m a good shot normally so this 7mag has thrown me for a loop

Gen273

WKR
Check the front-angled action screw. It needs to be very tight on the 77 to make it accurate. Also, check the scope mounts to make sure they are tight. Sometimes, poor accuracy in a 77 is due to the magazine box being too tight and binding the action. You can fix this by slightly shaving the box with a file. A Google search will provide more info and how-to examples. I have had a bunch of Ruger 77s and have never seen one inaccurate after some tinkering.

Last edited:
OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
Check the front-angled action screw. It needs to be very tight on the 77 to make it accurate. Also, check the scope mounts to make sure they are tight. Sometimes, poor accuracy in a 77 is due to the magazine box being too tight and binding the action. You can fix this by slightly shaving the box with a file. A Google search will provide more info and how-to examples. I have had a bunch of Ruger 77s and have never seen one inaccurate after some tinkering.
I don’t have a torque screwdriver. Is that necessary to make this correct? Or just hand tighten it is fine

Gen273

WKR
I don’t have a torque screwdriver. Is that necessary to make this correct? Or just hand tighten it is fine
A torque wrench is nice, but it can be done without it. Just ensure you have the correct size screwdriver or even a bit that goes in a socket. Just get that angle screw really tight.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
A torque wrench is nice, but it can be done without it. Just ensure you have the correct size screwdriver or even a bit that goes in a socket. Just get that angle screw really tight.
Gotcha, I’ll go ahead and try and hand tighten. It seems like it’s pretty hard to overtighten the screw by hand with a screwdriver. I might ask the gunsmith at the shooting range if he has a torque wrench too and if he could tighten to spec before I shoot