Sig Sauer KILO3K battery draw - what the heck???

Tod osier

WKR
In the late fall I bought a Sig KILO 3K. I've owned a fair number of range finders (couple Nikons, Bushnell, and a couple Sigs) and bought the Sig KILO 3K to replace a Sig KILO 2000 (that I really liked) that the auto brightness on the display crapped out at 5 years and a couple months.

This new rangefinder drains batteries crazy fast. Through the winter I used it a few times and every time I picked it up the battery was at 75 or 50%. I kept putting batteries in it - first thinking the factory battery was weak, then thinking the replacement that I put in was old, then the second replacement, then… Anyway I bought brand new batteries and tested it. Lasering for 50 continuous seconds draws the battery down to 75% (and it does not bounce back to full bars after it sits). I sent it back, they tested it and sent it back. I complained and they sent me a "courtesy replacement" (I hate that phrase). After getting the replacement today, I tried continuous lasering for 10 second bouts and the 5th bout the battery was down to 75% and then when I was clicking through the settings (not lasering) it went down to 50% (very similar rate of draw as my first unit). I talked with customer service and an optics/rangefinder tech and he confirmed that his unit did the same and my original unit conformed to their draw test standards.

I've spent a fair amount of time behind a rangefinder and every one I've has barely used batteries and they hardly needed replacement, I can think of several times I went a whole season on full bars and replaced the battery for the next season just in case.

Anyone have some wisdom for me or a dope slap?

Suggestion for a mid priced nice fast range finder for archery and rifle. I'd just get a Kilo 2000 if they were available and be happy to the end of my days.

I’m disappointed to hear this. I was ready to pull the trigger on one. Now you have me second guessing myself. Really like all the features but that is a problem. I will see if anyone else chimes in with the same issue.

In the late fall I bought a Sig KILO 3K. I've owned a fair number of range finders (couple Nikons, Bushnell, and a couple Sigs) and bought the Sig KILO 3K to replace a Sig KILO 2000 (that I really liked) that the auto brightness on the display crapped out at 5 years and a couple months.

This new rangefinder drains batteries crazy fast. Through the winter I used it a few times and every time I picked it up the battery was at 75 or 50%. I kept putting batteries in it - first thinking the factory battery was weak, then thinking the replacement that I put in was old, then the second replacement, then… Anyway I bought brand new batteries and tested it. Lasering for 50 continuous seconds draws the battery down to 75% (and it does not bounce back to full bars after it sits). I sent it back, they tested it and sent it back. I complained and they sent me a "courtesy replacement" (I hate that phrase). After getting the replacement today, I tried continuous lasering for 10 second bouts and the 5th bout the battery was down to 75% and then when I was clicking through the settings (not lasering) it went down to 50% (very similar rate of draw as my first unit). I talked with customer service and an optics/rangefinder tech and he confirmed that his unit did the same and my original unit conformed to their draw test standards.

I've spent a fair amount of time behind a rangefinder and every one I've has barely used batteries and they hardly needed replacement, I can think of several times I went a whole season on full bars and replaced the battery for the next season just in case.

Anyone have some wisdom for me or a dope slap?

Suggestion for a mid priced nice fast range finder for archery and rifle. I'd just get a Kilo 2000 if they were available and be happy to the end of my days.
I just saw in the manual in the FAQ section it should have a battery saver mode? Can you use that option?

I can’t send messages yet but just FYI-if you liked the 2200, there are 2 decent looking ones on eBay right now. Might be worth taking a chance on another one.

Blue_dog

FNG
I’m on my third battery in an Sig Zulu 5k in less than a year and I shoot my bow way less than I would like. I wonder if the unit is bad or I just need to expect this? My old rangefinder would go a year or three without any issues.

D-Ryan

FNG
I bought a Kilo 3K at the end of last season. I saw it draw down quickly but then the battery seem to stabilize. I also bought a replacement battery and left it in my kit. The range finder stayed in a drawer over winter and is still on its original battery holding at 50%.

Not a clear solution/reason but the battery appears to be suspect IMO.

Blue_dog

FNG
I’m on my third battery in an Sig Zulu 5k in less than a year and I shoot my bow way less than I would like. I wonder if the unit is bad or I just need to expect this? My old rangefinder would go a year or three without any issues.
This 5k just killed another battery. I'm 9 days from leaving on a sheep hunt and very annoyed and distrustful of Sig. It might be time to go in a different direction.

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
I thought I was the only one with this problem! My Kilo eats batteries too, sent it back to Sig, they tested it and said it was good...

sf jakey

WKR
I bought a new kilo 4k at TAC 3 weeks ago. Did not even use it yet, used a demo at the event. Took it out of the safe yesterday, DEAD. I’ll be on the phone tomorrow morning to them. I have an archery hunt starting next Saturday. They better make it right.

Yon181

FNG
Running into the same battery issues with my 4K. Anyone have any luck with Sig customer service? Sounds like a common problem…

sf jakey

WKR
I called sig yesterday. It took a bit of work but they overnighted a replacement unit. Hopefully the problem goes away. I’m Happy with how they handled it.

Huntin_GI

WKR
For what its worth, I've been pulling the battery out after range sessions and it has seemed to help. I've got a 10 day hunt in Sept for which I will be packing 2 extra batteries.

I bought a kilo 4k last august and it did everything right through December. Then I replaced a battery for another hunt (didn't really use it, maybe 100 ranges at most); couple month later I showed up to a 3D course and it was dead. New battery and then another new battery all with very little use. brought it to another range and it wouldn't fire up, another new battery.
I managed to cross-thread the cap during all this battery swapping and now it is very difficult to seat the battery properly and get the unit to work at all.
And be careful on swaps it is very easy to cross thread this cap!

sf jakey

WKR
I bought a kilo 4k last august and it did everything right through December. Then I replaced a battery for another hunt (didn't really use it, maybe 100 ranges at most); couple month later I showed up to a 3D course and it was dead. New battery and then another new battery all with very little use. brought it to another range and it wouldn't fire up, another new battery.
I managed to cross-thread the cap during all this battery swapping and now it is very difficult to seat the battery properly and get the unit to work at all.
And be careful on swaps it is very easy to cross thread this cap!
I just don’t think they have these units dialed yet. I love it and the features, but way too much uncertainity. No chance I would take this on a hunt. Considering a full draw 5 for archery

Sridge

FNG
I'm having the same battery issues with my 4k but mine is draining when it is not even being used. It completely drained a battery with no use at all in about a month.