Sig Kilo8K ABS and Gunwerks BR4 RF Field Review

Forsure. I have 2 of the 2400 abs’s and have ran them hard in lots of snow and cold weather with zero issues. Maybe upgrading isn’t worth it for either. Woulda expected better from both. Look forward to more testing from ya.
I haven’t ran my 2400 ABS hard or been rough with it. I have used it down to -28ish and haven’t had an issue though. I can’t say I’ve ranged anything beyond 500-600 when it’s been that cold though.

Interesting that the 8k is having issues.

I haven’t ran my 2400 ABS hard or been rough with it. I have used it down to -28ish and haven’t had an issue though. I can’t say I’ve ranged anything beyond 500-600 when it’s been that cold though.

Interesting that the 8k is having issues.
Haha, we spend a ton of time in the cold and snow. Although, -28…burrrr. I considered picking up the 8k as I like gadgets. But honestly my 2400’s have been flawless. Why fix what isn’t broke. I hope the 8k is a fluke? I like sig as I’m an Oregon guy and can swing into their shop if needed but am not brand loyal

Glad someone is doing this. I'm also on the fence about upgrading, but my 2400 hasn't missed a beat so that makes it tough, especially if the new ones have issues in cold weather. Tagging in

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

My Revic BR4 has acted the opposite. I couldn't get ranges on antelope at 1 mile that a cheaper vortex rangefinder was grabbing fairly easily. I even had it stop giving yardages at anything over 900 yards.

I sent it back to Gunwerks and they couldn't find anything wrong with it but mentioned that the original software had a battery drain and it could have been locking up the ability of the laser to work properly. I did replace the battery mid hunt right before I sent it back as it completely died on me (without warning) after 4-5 days in the field. I never really tested the unit again after swapping the battery so that may have been my issue but I truly never saw a low battery indicator and I really didn't expect to have a battery die within 4-5 days when my Sig would last 18+ months of good use.

Since it's returned from Gunwerks I've only taken in out twice to compare it to my 2400ABS and it handily beat the 2400 both times. I have no clue what actually changed while I shipped it there and back but it appears to be functioning very well now. Assuming it continues to operate like it is now, I'll be very happy with the purchase.

Yes…….finally we are going to get some data. Truly appreciate you doing this. Looking forward to more content.

eoperator

WKR
Brand new 8k 1st time out
-left outside all night
-overnight low 1°
-currently 6°
8k would not read anything, old leica 1600 (with old battery) worked fine.
Brought 8k in truck within 1 min it was working like a champ. Handheld offhand would range trees over 1000yds
16457075473822170652175583611938.jpg

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
Question on both of these systems. Once you load whatever rifle profile into the RF, does it stayed stored there or does your phone have to be connected to it? I’m interested in one of these two for an upcoming caribou hunt but am not planning on having my phone powered up since there won’t be any service anyways. Thanks!

Firestone

WKR
Question on both of these systems. Once you load whatever rifle profile into the RF, does it stayed stored there or does your phone have to be connected to it? I’m interested in one of these two for an upcoming caribou hunt but am not planning on having my phone powered up since there won’t be any service anyways. Thanks!
I know the sig you don't need your phone. Not sure about the revic

josef

Lil-Rokslider
Battery output voltages drop in cold weather. Looks like the 8K clearly needs a higher output voltage from the battery to operate than the BR4 does.

eoperator

WKR
I contacted sig to ask why my 8k would not work in the cold. Their response "environmental conditions can effect the performance of any rangefinder and they can't do much about that".

Wrench

WKR
This isn't looking good. My kilo 2k does that good in the cold. My idaho bull died last year at -13* ambient....it pinged the 600 and some instantly. I hope they get this worked out.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I contacted sig to ask why my 8k would not work in the cold. Their response "environmental conditions can effect the performance of any rangefinder and they can't do much about that".

Who would have guessed.