Sig kilo 5k best bang for buck?

I’m getting a little more serious about longer range shooting and I need to upgrade my rangefinder. Looking for something in the 5 to under 1k range price wise. I want something with ballistic capabilities and it looks on paper like the kilo 5k might be my best option. Anybody have any experience with one out there or have a better recommendation?

ofl0926

WKR
I’m getting a little more serious about longer range shooting and I need to upgrade my rangefinder. Looking for something in the 5 to under 1k range price wise. I want something with ballistic capabilities and it looks on paper like the kilo 5k might be my best option. Anybody have any experience with one out there or have a better recommendation?

Curious as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisAU

WKR
I just got an 8k and I am blown away by it. I wanted full onboard AB and the awesome readout screen of the 8k for competitions. My firing solution is displayed instantaneously. Also comes with a nice Outdoor Vision rangefinder holder, a tripod adapter, and a wind meter that I haven’t messed with yet.

Depends on how far you want to shoot. The 5k will only give a solution to 800 yards and cannot link with a Kestrel that I know of. I have one and it works well for its intended use of under 800.

If you don’t already have decent binos would give the Fury HD with AB a look. They have everything on them and work really well with no limitations on range. It’s much easier to get a good range with them vs a hand held.

OP
M
I just got an 8k and I am blown away by it. I wanted full onboard AB and the awesome readout screen of the 8k for competitions. My firing solution is displayed instantaneously. Also comes with a nice Outdoor Vision rangefinder holder, a tripod adapter, and a wind meter that I haven’t messed with yet.
The 8k looks awesome I just don’t think I can drop 1800 on a rangefinder

OP
M
Depends on how far you want to shoot. The 5k will only give a solution to 800 yards and cannot link with a Kestrel that I know of. I have one and it works well for its intended use of under 800.

If you don’t already have decent binos would give the Fury HD with AB a look. They have everything on them and work really well with no limitations on range. It’s much easier to get a good range with them vs a hand held.
That’s a little disappointing that it only gives solutions to 800 I was hoping for a thousand. I dont need a solution past that I doubt I would ever shoot farther. As far as binos go I have a set of mavens that I love but I have thought about going the bino/range combo. How does your 5k handle cold or snowy conditions?

Huntin Fool

Lil-Rokslider
I would go the bino route, I have the vortex fury and they‘ll range well past a 1000 consistently and work well in the snow

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
For a stand-alone RF if you can save a little more get the Gunwerks BR4. In general, Sigs are not great in the cold and their QC is hit or miss on the electronics side.

josef

FNG

The 5k can pair to AB elite devices. Just put it in ABX or ABE mode and find it with the AB device. Works with kestrels and Garmin stuff. Pretty simple just need to make sure both are on for it to work.

wnelson14

WKR
For a stand-alone RF if you can save a little more get the Gunwerks BR4. In general, Sigs are not great in the cold and their QC is hit or miss on the electronics side.
What about the Leica 2800.com? I’m in the same boat as the OP.

That’s a little disappointing that it only gives solutions to 800 I was hoping for a thousand. I dont need a solution past that I doubt I would ever shoot farther. As far as binos go I have a set of mavens that I love but I have thought about going the bino/range combo. How does your 5k handle cold or snowy conditions?
I’m not sure it’s untested at this point. I actually just snagged a set of the first gen fury’s to have something reliable in the cold.

Is the gunwerks able to handle cold well? Also on a side not any insight on maven offering some kind of ballistics in their rf?
There is a review of the sig vs gunwerks in varying conditions (cold seems to be the highlight) on this forum somewhere (may be in the long range section) but in that review, the GW smokes the sig in cold.

I would take Ryan’s advice as serious as any advice, he’s in that world and has a very good understanding of it… if it was a toss up, he wouldn’t have chimed in… none of us like spending more than necessary for most tasks, but sometimes saving a few bucks costs a lot of frustration that wasn’t necessary

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
What about the Leica 2800.com? I’m in the same boat as the OP.
The 2800 is a great range finder. I would take it over the Sig 5k or 8k. Some claim it has cold weather issues like the sig but I have not seen that with mine. But having to run in through a Kestrel for wind or past 1000 yards is dumb IMO. For hunting, I rather just have it nice and neat in one unit. KISS

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Is the gunwerks able to handle cold well? Also on a side not any insight on maven offering some kind of ballistics in their rf?
It handles the cold VERY well. @Formidilosus review should be done soon on the BR4 vs the 8k.

Maven is working on it. Don't know any time frames. Whatever they do I hope they keep the same laser that's in the RF.1, its very strong.