Sig Kilo 1200 for Archery

Does anyone use the Sig Kilo 1200 for archery and how do they like the AMR (Angle Modified Range)? I have an old leupold RX 750 but after 60 yards it goes to line of sight and doesn't compensate for angle.

I've found the Sig Kilo 1200 for $130 and just want to make sure it will at least give me an AMR reading up to 120 yard or close to that.

I just ordered one but haven’t played with it yet. According to the specs it should angle compensate all the way to 1200.

OP
T
I thought the same about my Leupold 750 but after digging through the manual, i found it only angle compensates out to 60, that is why i'm trying to verify the Sig goes further.

OP
T
Haven't confirmed yet, but i went ahead and ordered it and will use it on Saturday at the TAC in San Antonio. I actually really liked my Leupold and for whitetail hunting it is fine, but i need a little more for out west.

I like my Kilo 1250 6X 20mm But, It only ranges Big Game to about, 600 Yards, tho ! Which is fine for most of my Rifle Elk hunting ! My son has, a Kilo 2,000 or, 2200 ? and we are usually together, on Rifle Elk Hunts, so I haven't felt the need, to upgrade ! Love my Kilo 1250, for Archery Elk as, it's light, portable and EZ to read !

Last edited:
OP
T
I hear you. I am getting a new one as my old rangefinder takes 8 AAA/day to run...
i have a leupold RX 750 for sale that works great, but like i said is limited to 60 yards when used in bow mode to calculate the angle. Line of Site still works and it uses the CR2 battery which i've never had to change and still shows 50% after years of use.

I just ordered one but haven’t played with it yet. According to the specs it should angle compensate all the way to 1200.

The 1200 just gives you equivalent horzizontal range. The resulting range limitation depends on the caliber/load you're shooting, but I would venture a guess that ballistics of your particular round come into play long before you hit 1200yds, so you'd want to go to uncompensated mode and just plug range and angle into a real ballistics solver if shooting long range.

I know OP said archery, but since you mentioned 1200, I figured I'd point that out.

The 1200 just gives you equivalent horzizontal range. The resulting range limitation depends on the caliber/load you're shooting, but I would venture a guess that ballistics of your particular round come into play long before you hit 1200yds, so you'd want to go to uncompensated mode and just plug range and angle into a real ballistics solver if shooting long range.

I know OP said archery, but since you mentioned 1200, I figured I'd point that out.

I don’t think I understand the difference. Also I ended up with the kilo 850 but that apparently goes out to 1200 or so yards.

I don’t think I understand the difference. Also I ended up with the kilo 850 but that apparently goes out to 1200 or so yards.
If you know the length of one side of a right triangle and one of the angles you can calculate the length of the other two sides. This is the math used to figure out the equivalent horizontal distance to the target you're ranging (if you could magically move up or down to be level with the target, that's how far you'd be from the target). Shooting as if you were on level groud with a target at same distance as that equivalent horizontal range is a pretty good approximation at shorter distances. As you go further out, though, drag becomes an issue and most rangefinders including this one do not compensate for it, so the actual range number you would need to use diverges from the number your rangefinder's angle compensation function spits out. A few of the higher end rangefinders have smart phone or other integration with ballistics calculators that factor in all that other stuff to give you your effective range or hold over or whatever to allow accuracy at longer range.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

If you know the length of one side of a right triangle and one of the angles you can calculate the length of the other two sides. This is the math used to figure out the equivalent horizontal distance to the target you're ranging (if you could magically move up or down to be level with the target, that's how far you'd be from the target). Shooting as if you were on level groud with a target at same distance as that equivalent horizontal range is a pretty good approximation at shorter distances. As you go further out, though, drag becomes an issue and most rangefinders including this one do not compensate for it, so the actual range number you would need to use diverges from the number your rangefinder's angle compensation function spits out. A few of the higher end rangefinders have smart phone or other integration with ballistics calculators that factor in all that other stuff to give you your effective range or hold over or whatever to allow accuracy at longer range.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Ah, gotcha. I’m a 400ish yard max 30-06 guy so it’s a non issue here. But thanks for the info.

OP
T
Boxerboxer, thanks for the more detailed explanation. I was mainly looking for a cost effective RF for bowhunting. I used it this past weekend at the Total Archery Challenge and it seemed to do pretty well. I did notice about a 2 yd difference between my range and the group in front of me. Never got a good enough look to figure out what they were using but we were consistently 2 yds different.

loops

FNG
The Kilos have black readouts until you get to the 2000 range correct? I'd like to get a 1200 but I've tried the black ones and feel like I can't read them that well in lower lights.

The Kilos have black readouts until you get to the 2000 range correct? I'd like to get a 1200 but I've tried the black ones and feel like I can't read them that well in lower lights.

850 and 1200 are black, can’t say for the others have not tried them.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
I am about to purchase a new range finder and while I don't want to be cheap, I am having a hard time justifying getting a more expensive one. I archery hunt 95% of the time and am not going to shoot past 300 or 400 yards with a rifle, so what is the point?

Are the Kilo's of good quality? I understand the oled issue, does anyone make a well priced 4x or 6x rangefinder with OLED display?

OP
T
I am about to purchase a new range finder and while I don't want to be cheap, I am having a hard time justifying getting a more expensive one. I archery hunt 95% of the time and am not going to shoot past 300 or 400 yards with a rifle, so what is the point?

Are the Kilo's of good quality? I understand the oled issue, does anyone make a well priced 4x or 6x rangefinder with OLED display?
I bought the Kilo 1200, and for the money it does the job, nothing fancy and no frills. Should work well for the hunting style you descibed.

I’ve got the 850 and I would say the same thing. Would be nice to have the OLED, it’s difficult to read at first/last light at least under the thick canopy. For max range I was getting it to read around 700 on some objects with a little difficulty in bright sunlight. Out to 500 or so it would read anything, so I have no doubt it will work for my purposes.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
I was doing some more serious shopping and pricing today. I went and checked out the Sig Kilo 850 and a 1800BDX. In playing around with them, I do not think I could live without the OLED where and when I hunt. I really liked the size of the Sig and how fast it output readings. No delay at all.

Came home and looked more seriously, trying to find something used. I stumbled upon the Sig Kilo1600. I could not find any information about it online, or on Sig's site, just that it was for sale and "coming in stock in July."

So I gave Sig a call and got more information on it. It is basically their entry level range finder (like the 1200, 1400, etc.) but WITH OLED. MSRP is $300 and you can pre-order it on several sites for $250. Sig said it has all the same electronics as something like the 1800, but now that they are shifting toward the BDX, it seems like they can offer something like this cheaper.

It is being marketed directly at people like me. I need something with OLED that will go out to normal hunting distances, is small, light and is reasonably priced. After all, I am not competition shooting at 2000 yards. Order placed and seems like a great option!

Specs:
The KILO1600 is one of the most advanced, and versitile rangefinders on the market. Featuring a transparent red OLED display, and powered by the industries fastest, digital signal processing engine. Its streamlined user interface provides a no hassle, out of the box experience at an extremely resonable price
Specifications for Sig Sauer KILO1600 6x22mm Digital Ballistic Laser Rangefinder:
Maximum Range:2000 yds
Magnification:6 x
Objective Lens Diameter:22 mm
Eye Relief:17 mm
Weight:0.31 lb
Field of View, Angle:6 degrees
Length:4.3 in
Color:Black
Exit pupil:3.7 mm
Width:1.4 in
Accuracy:0.1 yds
Laser Divergence:0.8 MRAD
Range Response Time:0.5 seconds
Features of Sig Sauer KILO1600 6x22mm Digital Ballistic Laser Rangefinder
  • 6x22 mm monocular with SpectraCoat anti-reflection coatings for superior light transmission and optical clarity.
  • Revolutionary Lightwave DSP Technology for the fastest and longest distance rangefinder engine.
  • HyperScan provides 4 range updates per second in scan mode while
  • RangeLock reports the last range result when ranging distant targets.
  • Features line of sight or angle modified range. Units in yards or meters to tenth Y/M resolution.
  • Transparent Red OLED display for daytime and low light use.
  • Lumatic Display automatically calibrates display brightness to changing ambient light conditions.
  • Compact, lightweight polymer housing with eyecup and diopter adjustment.
  • Simplified user interface with RANGE and MODE buttons only.