Sierra Game King Bullets

OP
crowlja

crowlja

FNG
Been a while since I spoke to Sierra regarding this and it was for the 7mm gamekings but the general minimum they recommended was 1600-1800fps depending on exactly which gameking.
Thanks, I'm planning to give Sierra a call myself this week.

Harvey_NW

WKR
That's the one I'm interested in, the TGK (game changer), for my 280ai. I just done see a lot of real world informing how they perform. They're supposed to be pretty tough bullets.
They performed great for me out of 2 different rifles/calibers. This is the 165 TGK out of my 284 Win, shots were 300 and 100 yards on this bull, both fragmented well and full pass through with just the base trapped on the offside hide. This is exit side after removing front shoulder.
20231103_191720.jpg

Unclecroc

Lil-Rokslider
I have experience with the .224 55gr gameking and the .277 130gr gameking on deer.
They’re generally very accurate bullets and they perform very well.

WCB

WKR
Thanks for all of the responses!

I've seen a few folks mention "inside of 300 yds" and I noticed that Sierra's website also mentioned inside of 300 yards.

I would imagine that this should be more of a velocity marker than a yardage marker. Is 1200fps to slow for this bullet? I didn't see anything on there website about minimum velocity, but as a spitter style bullet, I was thinking that min velocity should be in the 1200-1500fps range.
In general...I'll say again...in general....bullets of that type are 1800-1900fps on expansion IN GEL. More than likely you will get expansion a bit below that but "reliable" would be the operating word. Very few if any bullet in the big game/medium game category will reliably open or would be recommended by the manufacturer below 1600 and even fewer the slower you get. AGAIN FOR ALL THE "WHAT ABOUT" and "ONE TIME" or "WELL X BULLET" guys...in GENERAL.

Style of bullet has little to do with it. Construction of the bullet is the key. Thin jacket soft lead general open faster more "explosive". Heavy jacket harder lead...less or harder to expand. Bonded also doesn't mean higher opening velocities or less expansion. They can open really low velocity but retain weight and open really wide. again, depending on construction. Tipped, Flat base, boat tail, soft point, hollow point. The physical construction will be engineered to perform with intent.

Rich M

WKR
I used the Sierra Pro Hunter bullet - flat base. Game King has tapered base.

The PH shoots tight and drops whatever i shoot. Been real happy with it to 350 yards. Have not shot further, ever.

Picture is 250 yd bang-flop. That's the exit hole.
20181027_092555.jpeg

That’s been my preferred bullet in many cartridges for years and years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would note that if using the Sierra manual you may find different BC's than listed on their web site. My manual was printed in the 70's
and lists to 160 spitzer boat taiI 20% too high. I talked to a Sierra tech today and he told me my manual is incorect and the web site numbers are correct. Old numbers were measured in California before they move and their calculations were in error.

doepatrol

FNG
Gamekings have significantly thicker jackets compared to motlst other common cup and core bullets (eldx, eldm, bergers, etc.) There was a thread somewhere with images of a bunch of different bullets cut in half and showed this well.

I have used them on whitetails a lot from a 308 and 7rm. I don't recall the last time one did not exit, also was pretty easy to find an accurate load with them. In my experience they are pretty tolerant at various seating depths. Give them a try

Game Kings are a classic but even better are the Nosler Partitions ....

When all else fails ....Randy Selby is the guy ....

Love me some Randy !!

Sierra just makes great bullets, period. I shoot steel and SMKs are my preferred bullet in factory loads in both .223 and 6.5 CM.

Vern400

WKR
I use Sierra part number 2125 in my 308. Probably taking 12,000 lb of deer with it, and lost ONE.

I would use the 165 and a 308 on elk. Keep the velocity down to minimize the risk of fragmentation at short range. On deer the 2125 is ideal and you can push it as hard as you want to.

I've had one fragmentation. My 5 yard shot straight down into the spine did not exit. But everything was Jello. All the others have either exited or been collected intact.

I agree with the other dude who posted partitions are best. If your rifle shoots adequately with them, use them on elk and never look back. There might be prettier bullets. There might be more accurate bullets. But there's not a more consistent performing bullet out there in my opinion than the partition over a wide range of velocities. They'll open up with a rabbit. It opens up quick at 1600 ft per second, and stage together at 3,000. Monos will pencil through if they're not going fast enough. Partitions won't.