Sierra Game King Bullets

crowlja

FNG
Just a general question:

Has anyone used the Sierra Game King bullets? And if so what are your thoughts on this bullet?

I'm load some of these up and finding good accuracy, but its not a bullet I hear about alot compared to others. Don't get me wrong, I love the Match Kings and this is still my go to target bullet, which is what got me to try the Game Kings to start with

I'll be hunting deer & elk in Colorado shooting this load out of a .308 Win. At 2750 fps.

Attachments

• 20230520_163310.jpg
    20230520_163310.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 31

drew23

FNG
Not exactly the same but, my daughter took her first deer last year with a 6mm 85gr SGK BTHP (243 Win). 100yds broadside and it worked beautifully. It shoots well enough my plan is to load her 100rds for her to put up so she has some Dad loaded for a few years to come.

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Butcher8

Lil-Rokslider
The game king is a fantastic bullet regardless of caliber, it always seems to perform very well. I have had great success with the 142 Match king as well. It performs very similar to the Berger VLD and is devastating on game especially at longer ranges.

TxLite

WKR
Not sure which sgk you are referring to, but I used the 165 soft point sgk in my 308 for years. At 300 yards and under it was extremely accurate, exits were nickel sized, nothing went far

EdP

WKR
I am a big fan of the original GKs. I don't have any experience on game with the newer tipped GKs or "Gamechangers." I have taken numerous deer and a couple of pronghorn with the 100 gr GK from my 6mm rem, a pronghorn with the 130gr GK from my .270 Win, and elk and black bear with the 180 gr GKs from my .30-06. All performed extremely well. GKs are my go to bullet to determine if a new rifle is worth keeping. I find that Nosler Accubonds also shoot very well and that is what I prefer for larger game like elk due to the more robust construction, but I would not hesitate to use GKs again. ABs are double the price of GKs and I don't see any reason to incur that expense on deer size game.

MT257

WKR
I think Sierra makes a bullet that is easier to find a load for than others. The only down fall I’ve seen with the game king bullets whether hollow point or soft point is there is much more bloodshot meat on critters compared to other bullets.

I’ve used the bthp in both 308 and 243. Killed a deer and a coyote with the 308, both around 30 yards and neither expanded. Looked like I had used an arrow with a field tip. I killed a deer at 100 with the 85gr 243 version and the insides were destroyed, but no exit.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I tried them in my 25-06 via factory ammo years ago. I hated them and quickly quit using them. Partitions and Accubonds are so cheap, it didn’t make sense to use anything else to me.

HGL

FNG
The "original" Gamekings work just fine. Killed a good many with a .243/100gr SGK and a .270/130 SGK. Probably 1500+/- pigs and deer over about 40 years. No limits on deer (in season) and pigs here in SC so it accomadates a good bit of experimenting.

High shoulder will be DRT, pass throughs are 50-50, most end up on the offside shoulder.

It'll work.

I tried them in my 25-06 via factory ammo years ago. I hated them and quickly quit using them. Partitions and Accubonds are so cheap, it didn’t make sense to use anything else to me.
What didn’t you like about that combo? What weight bullet?

kota

FNG
We used original 100 grain SGKs in 243 for years with no complaints. They were very accurate and performed like a match grade bullet. Lots of bullets found just under the offside hide with 45-60% weight retention. Deer rarely took a step. It depends on what you want in a bullet if they fit your needs.

N2TRKYS

WKR
What didn’t you like about that combo? What weight bullet?
It was either 115 or 117 grainers. I couldn’t get anywhere close to a consistent exit. No bloodtrails on those.

I ultimately switched to 110 grain Accubonds and my issues went away. Much better bullet for me.

Shoot SGK soft points in my .223 to my .338. Been a fan of them for a very long time. My grandfather used them for years, my dad has, and so have I. Countless game has fallen to them with zero complaints. Only rifle I don’t shoot the GK’s out of is my 7mm but that’s only cause I shoot a high BC bullet out of it. I’ve always wondered why more people don’t shoot them as they fly true, good terminal performance, and overall a very reliable bullet with a long history.

Crazy how different opinions can be. I loved the 117 gr out of my 25/06 for deer, it mushed the vitals and the furthest track job was 40 yards, which is basically the same as any heart/lung shot deer.

EdP

WKR
Several years ago I shot a doe with a 117gr GK from my .25-06 at a distnce of about 100 yds. The deer didn't go anywhere but I didn't like the amount of meat damage. I attributed it to using too much gun and a shoulder hit rather than the bullet.

806guns

FNG
I have some of the new 308 175gr hpbt game king. I will be using this year on deer and aoudad

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
I used the 150 or 165 gr game kings out of a savage 308 for about 20 years. They were always accurate and worked great for deer elk and moose. I'm currently using the 165 tgk out of my 280 and I'm happy with the performance I've seen so far.