Sierra Designs Opinions

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
Have you guys ever used Sierra Designs bags. I'm currently running a Montbell DownHugger 800 #1 and love it but need a bag for the wife. I get a great deal on Sierra Designs. Considering one of their 20deg bags for September in Colorado. Thoughts?

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody run these. I can get them for under $200...seems like a good buy however I'm unsure of the quality.

I run a 12 degree down bag made by them for about the past 5 years. I've used them in September on backpack trips and am comfortable for the most part.

Paulyester

Lil-Rokslider
I have run Sierra Designs bags for about 10 years. Their Arrowrock bags were some of the best ever made, much like the MontBell bags with the elastic. I currently have 3 SD bags, the Arrowrock 15, a 15 degree synthetic, and a 0 degree Zissou. I love their DriDown, but lately I've been turned off of SD because they seem to cater more to the hipster camper crowd than serious backpackers/outdoorsman. Nothing wrong with that approach, I just hate hipsters. So to answer your question, I've had very good luck with Sierra Designs bags, I feel they're quite innovative in their designs, especially the mobile mummy and backcountry bed bags.

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
My backup bag is a Sierra Designs Sandman. Rated for 15*, but seems that I start to feel a bit chilly around 25* or so. Comfy bag though. Great for side sleepers and it's held up very well for 10+ years.

Rossi

Lil-Rokslider
I just received my Cloud 20 yesterday. Very lightweight. Have not had a chance to sleep in it yet, but I'm excited to used it. The no zipper design is great in warm weather. Curious how it will perform in cooler temperatures. I have their frontcountry bed, and the footbox vent is great in warm weather.

Ive had my Sierra Designs Backcountry quilt since it was first announced and i still love it. Its lost about 10* of comfort rating since I purchased it, but I specifically purchased it to replace my Summer bag that had finally died. Ive used it (25* stated) down to 10 with a liner and i didn't die. Looses very little down compared to others I've had. Down compresses well and stays lofty. Fabric does not make you think its durable, but I've never ripped or cut it and I pack it loose in my bag. If cost is your concern, I dont think you'll get better quality for that $$$ point. But Id def suggest you add 10 or 15 degrees to any number they advertise, both for longevity reasons and comfort.

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I hate how the temp ratings area all over the place. My Montbell is rated for 15 deg. I feel that's pretty accurate. It's hard to compare apples to apples when some manufactures 20 deg bag has less insulation or doesn't perform like anothers 20deg bag.

epicaaron

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 20 degree zissou and have been super impressed; I used it a ton sea kayaking in Maine where it is so moist you can hardly tell the air from the ocean and the dry down really did work. That bag has been super durable and can handle being jumped all over by my crazy dog when we go camping. I love my EE quilt, but its not rated for dog toe nails....

My zissou is comfy to 30, I need light weight puffys to get it down to 20.

AKDoc

WKR
For the past five or so years I have been using a 30 deg Zissou (down) for spring black bear hunts, summer pack-raft floats, and August sheep hunts. That bag has been just great, i.e., keeps me comfortable, compresses well, light, the zipper has never trapped me in it, etc. I'm starting to reach the point where I might replace it next year because the loft around the foot-box is thinning out, but that is not a complaint from me at all. I've gotten my monies worth for sure.

For fall hunts up here I take a different bag.

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
Cool thanks guys. I'll pick one up. For the price I don't think it can be beat.

I have an older Sierra Designs Zissou 0 Degree Dridown bag that has been phenomenal. It's been used in snow conditions without a hot tent, and on numerous hunts across the West and Alaska. My hunting partner has the newer version called the "Nitro". I would say it is a little warmer, and the quality is outstanding for the price. I don't really have an opinion on their zipperless bags. If you are looking for a budget Dri Down bag, Sierra designs is an outstanding choice.

I have the nitro 20. Used it on my September elk hunt last year in colorado. Temperatures dropped into the low 20’s a couple of nights and I was comfortable. Good bag!