Sidney, NE

Will be stopping in Sidney on the way to CO this fall. Any recommendations on places to stay or places to avoid?
Looks the Best Western is a solid bet from the online reviews.

wyosteve

WKR
There are a couple new motels at the exit for Cabelas. Haven't stayed there so can't give a report on them.

OP
longspeak74
We have a Cabelas/Bass Pro where I live...gonna pass on the one in Sidney!
One night stay, so really just in need of a place to grab a steak and a place to sleep.

wyogoat

WKR
The people in and around Sydney love Dude’s for a steak. I didn’t go crazy for it but that’s the local favorite.

mlchase

FNG
I live here, so thanks for stopping in. As a Cabela's Ex-pat, agree with many of the comments. Don't bother with the Cabela's store unless you want to buy Moon pies, fleece blankeys or womens clothes. If you need something for your hunt, odds are if they carry it, it won't be in stock.
Hotels - Hampton or that BW are fine up by I-80. Maverik right by them is your cheapest fuel. Avoid Motel 6 and the others..
Avoid the Applebees by those hotels - most likely they would not seat you anyway, even if they are empty - service is horrible.
If you want a coffee shop, Beans and Steams up by the hotels is good.
Dudes is a traditional steakhouse. It is pricey, but ok for tradition, but nothing that special for the price.
New Boss City Brewery downtown is nice inside - nice beers, drinks...still working on their food, but wings and apps are ok.
Rock Bar and Grill for good drinks and burgers, slightly upscale bar food.
Silver Dollar Bar downtown for good cheap burgers and beers.
If you do need anything for your hunt - you do have Meindl boots, HIghby Outdoors and NexGen Outfitters - all ran and owned by fellow Cabela's Ex-pats.
Would not stay in any of the downtown hotels - mostly workers and long termers.
Highby Outdoors runs a VRBO loft downtown above their store that is really nice -not sure on rates.
PM me if need any more advice in the area and good luck on your travels/hunt.

Maddog58

FNG
The Motel 6 at the Cabelas exit is actually pretty good. I normally avoid these like the plague but stayed here a couple nights last year and it was good

mlchase

FNG
Glad you had a good experience at the 6’er…they do have some drug/prostitution busts there in the parking lot occasionally. Just depends on what the crowd is.