Sidearm for hunting in Montana/Wyoming etc

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Glock 26. Saved my ass when I needed it most. I've got most of the Glock 9mms and shoot them well. I carried the 26/19 out west first few archery hunts. Felt underarmed for a flatlander solo hunting. Carried a G20 last time I went. Going from the 26 to the 20 is awesome from a shooting perspective but there is added weight. Sometimes if I knew I'd be many miles back I'd still pack my 26 with buffalo bores or my s&w 340pd .357 and go for it. I'd hate to face off with a brown bear with the 357 loaded with buffalo bores. That thing feels like a freaking cannon at only 12oz.

Choupique

WKR
I carry a blackhawk .45 Colt in a chest holster under my binoculars, but only when I'm not carrying a rifle. Not the best thing, it's heavy and slow and only holds 6, but I like it. I can shoot it pretty well.

OP
allstajacket
G20 is much more reliable. Especially in a self defense situation.

As someone who worked in the industry for the past decade, I can say that there is no evidence to suggest that the Glock is more reliable. And I am a Glock guy all the way.

In the last decade of selling guns and managing a gun store, I’ve sent back 1 Glock, and 0 M&Ps. Sold thousands of each if not more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NSI

WKR
I’ll expound on my claim.

1) at my shop (wyoming Gunfighter) we have access to all, and the smith fits the most hands the best, out selling the others 3:1

2) I got 4 buddies and a bunch of ammo together for a test because I was curious. Sig, 4” Smith, Glock 20, Springfield XD.

We ran a box of 50 rapid fire through each (180 jhp) and then 5 shot strings of buffalo 200 hard cast for each shooter.

The XD was accurate but slick needing multiple grip adjustments. The Glock was blocky and unnatural to point (and my duty gun is a Glock 45). The Sig felt well made and had a great trigger but was heavy in recoil, not helped by the slim and slick plastic grip. The Smith made the 10 feel like +p 9 with its excellent palm swell and skin shredding sandpaper texture. Not fun at the range perhaps, but exactly what we would want with hands covered in elk blood.

3 of those 4 friends have smiths now.

Just one little redneck test but I’m happy recommending based on my experience!

-J

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
As someone who worked in the industry for the past decade, I can say that there is no evidence to suggest that the Glock is more reliable. And I am a Glock guy all the way.

In the last decade of selling guns and managing a gun store, I’ve sent back 1 Glock, and 0 M&Ps. Sold thousands of each if not more.

I've heard people saying their M&P 10s jam. In our hunting group a few M&Ps have had jams. I always thought the Glocks are a more reliable proven design than the M&Ps IMO. You may have better perspective being a gun store owner. Small sample size vs large sample size.

Last edited:

BA33

FNG
Glock 26, Kenai. Whatever you practice with and can draw fast and effective

Just sold the perfect gun for your requirement. It was a Smith 629 with 3” barrel. Easy to pack. The handgun will be the last thing you’ll use so things would be up close and personal so anything bigger isn’t any benefit. Chances are the bear will be close enough that you’ll be pointing and shooting( not really aiming).

OP
allstajacket
One would hope that whatever handgun and ammo combination chosen would be well ckecked for function and reliability before needing it in a SD situation.

yup. I have a couple thousand LPP on hand and don’t really load anything using them. I’d probably load up 500 or so rounds and run them before the trip to be sure.

EcoastDG

FNG
I’ve been carrying a XDM Elite 10mm my last couple hunts.No issues with 40 SW or 10mm hardcast. It is surprisingly accurate with 10mm. The M&P and Glock 10mms are also great options.

Wrench

WKR
Smith & Wesson X frame 500

.50 cal - 440 grain - full metal jacket cannot be beat when it comes to skull shot on grizz @ last resort to save a life

Anything else on a grizz is a toy

Will be awesome as long as you make your first hit count for 12. You will be deaf and recovering from recoil while a 10mm guy has his second round off and the 9mm guys have 4 rounds off.

I have the xvr, 329pd, 629's, SBH's, various 10s, 45 supers, and plenty under that.

I find myself carrying a 43x while bow hunting and a 1911 in 45super or 10mm when picking berries and shrooms.

I'm ok with less tissue depth, but I want to be able to shoot weak hand and multiple hits.

The rebate on the smith is gonna make me go get one before it runs out! In my hand it felt way better than the glock or the xd

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Montucky

WKR
Classified Approved
G26 is my edc for 2 legged threats. G20 for 4 legged threats. Equipped with a kkm g40 barrel for high velocity performance sits in my chest holster at all times even during rifle season. Sending Buff Bore 220s

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Granted I bought mine before the other companies got into the 10mm game but I have both the 20 and 29 both gen 4. Started out using the 29 when hiking with girlfriend for lighter weight and concealability if we stopped in town and 20 when out hunting. Lately I've been using the 29 for everything. Shooting extreme penetrators they're equally accurate for me and with pearce pinky ledge on the 29 magazine its plenty controllable. If the other brands shoot and run well go with whatever trips your trigger most.

WCB

WKR
Even if I have a rifle I have my M&P Shield 9mm on me. I like to carry it on my waste belt of my pack. I carry a cheapish belt clip on holster so when I remove my pack or am around camp I pull it out and use that to keep the gun on me at all times.

I load it with Federal Solid Core rounds. Out penetrates Buffalo Bore by a pretty good margin.

MThuntr

WKR
I'm of the belief that carrying a sidearm only adds extra weight and way too many people aren't effective/efficient with them for them to be valuable in a charge. CAVEAT: if you see a bear standing still and it's close and won't respond to shouts; a shot or 2 in its general direction will likely result in a changing of mind.

I spend hundreds of days in the backcountry...in very high bear concentration areas around Glacier, in Bob Marshall, and Yellowstone and have very few encounters (maybe 1 comes to mind) that would justify the extra 2.5lbs hanging off my chestpack or hip vs the 10oz in a bear spray

I will never talk someone out of buying another gun however so if you need justification then I'd say go for it.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Bowhunting/backpacking Glock 10mm on pack hip belt or belt holster (everyone practice drawing and shooting with pack on!!!)

Rifle hunting I always hand carry short barreled rifles so usually don't take pistol.