Side Hustle

OP
X

Xerute

FNG
The side work that I do is in line with the skill set that I have accumulated through life. It’s not about the money for me, it’s really about keeping my wits sharp and doing something that is fun for me.
Being a handyman, or doing remodels is going to be a full time gig. When you tear into someone’s bathroom, they are going to expect you to finish in a reasonable amount of time. In the evenings and on weekends probably wouldn’t cut it for most clients. If you are looking at it as a full time job,it’s a great field to get into. As a part time, on the weekends kind of thing…maybe not so much on the client side.
I was thinking more of the pop in for at most a day and switch out lights, put in a new toilet, add a door, redo a door. Not anything too big, the small stuff that people are too afraid to do or would rather just pay someone to do.

I flip houses, keep some as rentals, and am getting into paint striping parking lots this spring.

Houses takes capital, but with some networking you could probably work that part out, buy the worst house on the block, put some sweat equity into making it nicer, and resell it. It fits into your remodeling/handyman side gig idea.

Rentals are well rentals, if you've got time to deal with renters someone has capital to buy the rentals and let you work on the backend for your equity. It might be 90/10 or 80/20 up at first. Or you make work for not much to prove yourself. But down the road you can build equity and start buying your own!

I'll touch back on paint striping but from what I can see there is a large need in smaller towns with not many people servicing them. Price point seems pretty reasonable and it's fairly self explanatory once you figure out how to operate the machine. I'm only looking at restriping right now so I don't have to worry about new layouts for parking lots. Just freshen up what's there!

OP
X

Xerute

FNG
I flip houses, keep some as rentals, and am getting into paint striping parking lots this spring.

Houses takes capital, but with some networking you could probably work that part out, buy the worst house on the block, put some sweat equity into making it nicer, and resell it. It fits into your remodeling/handyman side gig idea.

Rentals are well rentals, if you've got time to deal with renters someone has capital to buy the rentals and let you work on the backend for your equity. It might be 90/10 or 80/20 up at first. Or you make work for not much to prove yourself. But down the road you can build equity and start buying your own!

I'll touch back on paint striping but from what I can see there is a large need in smaller towns with not many people servicing them. Price point seems pretty reasonable and it's fairly self explanatory once you figure out how to operate the machine. I'm only looking at restriping right now so I don't have to worry about new layouts for parking lots. Just freshen up what's there!
Definitely a few things to look into when I obtain the skill set thanks.

boomah21

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up quitting my main gig for my side hustle a couple years ago. I resell items purchased at thrift, garage sales, pallets, scan clearance aisles etc. then resell on eBay posh and mercari. At the start of the plandemic I had a few absolutely crazy months where I was doing $30k a month. Obviously the few things this takes is money to purchase items and places to store it.

Couple quick solves is start with extra stuff you have around the house, jackets, clothes old video games etc. the more you list the more you sell.

I now am able to work as much or as little as I want with the exception of making sure my items are shipped. And stay home with my little boy so I don’t need to utilize daycare

boomah21

Lil-Rokslider
Riskier side hustles I do is trade nfts and did a lot of crypto mining (have put the Mining on pause for a bit but will prob get back into it)

Geewhiz

WKR
Current side hustle is working construction. Working 3 12’s for my main gig so I have 2 days a week to work for a local contractor. Learning a ton of different skills and get to work with a great group of guys who are willing to share all of their expertise.

I continually think about what I could do for a self employed side hustle. Things I have considered are:

Truck mount carpet cleaning
Seamless rain gutters
Spray foam insulation
Standing seam metal roofing “roll forming trailer”
Window washing
And others that I’m forgetting.

All things that could become a main gig if things go well.

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
Go to hvac school in the evenings. Get certified. Take a job with a company to get hands on experience. By the time you are 28, go on your own. The money will be what you make of it as your own boss but, it is unbelievable around these parts. If you hustle and commit to it, by 30 you’ll be making better money than ER doctors.

Work hard. Play hard. Invest in your business and heavily into your retirement. Keep personal debt to a minimum and use debt to your advantage on the business side. It’s is doable and very rewarding if you make it your lifestyle. You’ll sacrifice nothing.

Think about this. Personally, What will a new truck do for you that a 15 year old truck won’t do if you maintain it well? Take those savings and invest it in your future instead of paying a lender. Look at every material possession like that. It’ll open up a lot of money that’ll work for you. Instead of enslaving you.

Working for yourself is a huge commitment. But, the rewards are worth it. That becomes more apparent the younger you start. Good luck.
There is a huge sacrifice to HVAC work.

I'm pushing 30 years as a refrigeration/HVAC tech and my body is pretty close to wrecked.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great living. I'm not sure about the "more than a doctor" thing, but I'm a union fitter and I generally pull north of $100k plus a great benefit package a 401k and a pension.

I also spent 3 months laid FLAT from a back injury this past year and missed the entire hunting season.

HVAC is a great career, but let's not pretend it's a "magic bullet", OK?

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up quitting my main gig for my side hustle a couple years ago. I resell items purchased at thrift, garage sales, pallets, scan clearance aisles etc. then resell on eBay posh and mercari. At the start of the plandemic I had a few absolutely crazy months where I was doing $30k a month. Obviously the few things this takes is money to purchase items and places to store it.

Couple quick solves is start with extra stuff you have around the house, jackets, clothes old video games etc. the more you list the more you sell.

I now am able to work as much or as little as I want with the exception of making sure my items are shipped. And stay home with my little boy so I don’t need to utilize daycare
You would make Gary Vee proud. Wish I had the patience to do it

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
As far as a "side hustle" I restore vintage, and some not so vintage cast iron.

The trick is in finding the iron below market prices. Most people at antique stores and thrift shops over-value their iron, even for what I can sell it for.

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
When I was on an hourly position I found that the best part time/ side hustle was to work overtime. Good way to make extra and use as capital for investing

Fatcamp

WKR
I went the carpentry route. In my opinion it was the fastest and cheapest route into making great money (as far as being self employed) i can build a million dollar home from form to finish (minus mechanicals and dirt work) with around 5 grand worth of tools. How ever it can take quite some time to learn the right ways to do all facets of that job cleanly and efficiently.

I used to fall trees and had felled thousands of hazard and fire weakened trees on the fire line but a lot of residential work I found required a bucket truck, climbing and rigging experience, and a chipper. It was a bit out of my wheel house for stuff like that and the risk wasn't worth the reward.

I mowed lawns and money can be great if you can get a decent clientele lined up but requires minimum of 5k worth of equipment but more like 10-20 for good equipment that makes you look like you know what you're doing.

If i could do it all over at your age I'd either start in the plumbing or line men apprenticeship. A self employed plumber that has even a tiny bit of hustle in Montana can charge what they want (like $100/hour) and have a full schedule pretty much immediately. Journeymen lineman can chase a few storms in the winter and take the rest of the year off.

I have to have employees and build several houses a year to make the same money as the two described above.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yup, I would have gone the lineman route if I had known then.....

boomah21

Lil-Rokslider
You would make Gary Vee proud. Wish I had the patience to do it
Haha yea been doing it for about 5 years but took it seriously 3 years ago. Not sure I’m patient person at all nor find it to be something that takes patience. The good part about it is so many diff ways to source If you don’t like garage sales buy pallets etc

I think if I stick with a certain niche like sneakers or vintage etc I would get stressed. (Cause sources dry up and trends move)

I stick to a few things when buying. Vintage typically sells, quality brands and products is better than trendy or in style items, always buy cheap, weird and unique are good

coyoteman

FNG
If you have a vehicle that's decent on fuel I would recommend delivering through doordash. I have a smaller landscaping/snow removal business and enjoy doing a few deliveries from time to time in the winter when there isn't any snow. It's easy and you can work whenever you want.

MtGomer

WKR
I read all of these, wanted to get new feedback and try to tailor it more towards myself who is young and not that experienced. Thanks though.
Are there things you can do related to your existing skillset that you see a need for in your day to day work, that you could do on the weekends, that wouldn’t be considered “moonlighting”’or unethical by your employer?

49ereric

WKR
Had union job IUOE local 49 and spent less $ so never needed a side job.
retired now and do what I want cuz I don’t need a side job just living simply in the woods.

S.Clancy

WKR
Life is too short wasting my time on side hustles. I have written training plans for people, but generally that is a trade of services/goods. Don't tell the IRS...

Beendare

WKR
Learn how to actually do something. Most trades are easily self taught with half a brain. Welding, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, etc. Tons and tons of sidework available.
Its a fact, The US is a service economy. Learn a trade.
Heck, A good handyman here makes $75 an hour and is booked out.

Plus, owning a business and having a lot of your expenses on the before tax line is huge.
Example; a $50,000 pickup [rough numbers, many variables]
This is an investment expense and can be written off. If you make $80k, your tax debt will be about $30,000-35,000 in many states- netting about $45,000.

write off the truck before tax, your income is now based on $30k, tax is only about $10,000-12,000

Total savings vary by state and circumstance, but its $10,000- 25,000 in your pocket the first year.

Then factor the partial deduction from insurance, fuel and repairs is all before tax....essentially saving you 15%-40% on everything.

Last edited:

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
Call me crazy but don't look for a side hustle. You need to look for an investment that doesn't equate your time with money. In the past I've done welding/fabrication and residential HVAC design work to name a few. I always ended up getting burnt out. Instead I'm focusing on getting to the highest level possible of my career. I now make 20k more than my old job plus my hustles. In two years I'll be able to start my own company and make 50k more not to mention any benefits from the investing along the way. For reference were about the same age.

OP
X

Xerute

FNG
If you have a vehicle that's decent on fuel I would recommend delivering through doordash. I have a smaller landscaping/snow removal business and enjoy doing a few deliveries from time to time in the winter when there isn't any snow. It's easy and you can work whenever you want.
Sadly have a 2002 Ford Ranger that gets like 14mpg lol