Should You Hunt In Shorts? Article by Jaden Bales

Shorts would be very tempting during our June bear hunts or early season elk when temps can be hot. Shot a couple spring bears in a T shirt and have rolled my pants up to cool off while glassing on multiple occassions. Called in my last elk and killed him on a real hot day in a t shirt. Can't imagine shorts would have made any difference to the elk ( would of made me a hell of allot more comfortable).

Whatever keeps you comfortable and keeps you out there hunting is the right choice.
Amen to this! This is absolutely the conclusion I came to, as well. However someone wants to hunt, I say rub some funk on it!

I tried training in shorts a few yrs ago but id have to wear some small gaiters as pebbles would fling up out of my tread and into my boots.
Spent more time getting out pebbles then hammering.
I totally agree. If I ruck or trail run I usually wear the same Traverse gaiters I hunt in. I’ve gone through a few sets a year.

Dos XX

WKR
Hahah. You referencing the friggin overkill of weapons I’m packing in that photo plus the loose buckles?! I was way out of line that day. 😂
Sorry. My post wasn't clear. No, I wasn't referring to you being or looking like Lt Dangle. I didn't see the picture you are talking about.

Lt Dangle was a character on a Comedy Central TV show called Reno 911. He was known for his shorts. I was referring to him stalking an elk. In his shorts. I guess my reference was a little obscure.

Last edited:
Sorry. My post wasn't clear. No, I wasn't referring to you being or looking like Lt Dangle. I didn't see the picture you are talking about.

Lt Dangle was a character on a Comedy Central TV show called Reno 911. He was known for his shorts. I was referring to him stalking an elk. In his shorts. I guess my reference was a little obscure.
That’s the new Boot Goofin’ guy right?? Hahaha. I forgot that was his name. Well works either way. 😂

Maverick1

WKR
Shorts would be very tempting during our June bear hunts or early season elk when temps can be hot. Shot a couple spring bears in a T shirt and have rolled my pants up to cool off while glassing on multiple occassions. Called in my last elk and killed him on a real hot day in a t shirt. Can't imagine shorts would have made any difference to the elk ( would of made me a hell of allot more comfortable).

Whatever keeps you comfortable and keeps you out there hunting is the right choice.
Last cow I shot was a frontal shot at 15 yards. Cow-called her in, wearing black shorts. She was looking in my direction, scanning for the other cow, when she came in. It was about 60 degrees out. After she went down, a nice 6x6 came in to about 40 yards and just stood there, looking in my direction to see what all the commotion was about. He never did find the "other" elk that had been talking a few minutes earlier, so he turned around and walked away. (I could have - and would have - shot him, too, but I already had one elk on the ground, and didn't want to deal with two elk, solo, in one evening!)

Shot a nice 6x6 bull in NM, wearing red shorts and no shirt. 21 yards. It was 92 degrees out, I was sitting over a water hole, under the shade of a pinion, and the wind was right.

Shot a nice 6x6 bull in CO, wearing red shorts and a blue t-shirt. 40 yards. It was noon, and I was hiking uphill, moving locations to a different hunting area on the mountain range. I took a break for a drink of water, gave out a few cow calls, and he came thundering in. I was near a bedding area.

Shot a cow over a natural spring in CO, wearing a camo t-shirt and black shorts. 13 yards. About 2:30 in the afternoon.

I've got a few more....which are pretty similar....I think you get the idea!

As long as the wind is right, and you aren't moving a significant amount, the elk really won't notice if you have fabric covering the lower 14'-16" of your legs.....and they probably can't differentiate between legs and normal underbrush, anyhow.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
It took only one time scouting elk in northern AZ in shorts and a big batch of chiggers up the crotch to say no, never again. Another place they would be tempting with the soaring temps but would be a big no for me, fall bear hunts in the pears, chigger city some years. Careful where you squat with your pants down in the grass on those hunts, you've been warned ;)

Maki35

WKR
I would love to go hunting in shorts, but I don't because of the chiggers, ticks, poison ivy/oak in my neck of the woods. plus all the pricker bushes that I have to walk through.

Last edited:
As much as I would love to wear shorts for deer opener here, 8-15. Yes coastal SC in August upper 90s is the norm...the skeeter would have a field day...I already run 2 thermacells to slow them down..no way I am putting out more bait with bare legs.

Randle

WKR
I would not want to have been wearing shorts the 2 times i stepped on a ground hives while elk hunting in sept.
Long pants , tiburons or costco chino pants have served me well

I’ve been wearing shorts on most of my mountain hunts for years now. I do however also always wear an UL weight pair of long underwear underneath (usually Kuiu zip off merino bottoms), so it’s not just shorts. Pretty much the only time I’m not wearing shorts is if it’s raining, snowing, or in temps. well below freezing. It’s kind of hard to see, but I’m wearing shorts in my avatar with the sheep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

svivian

WKR
Would say it has to be dependent on what i am hunting, where I am hunting. and when I am hunting.

If I’m going to get shredded by vegetation, then no shorts. Ticks or chiggers? No shorts.
Especially AZ, I have hunted there many times for deer and there is no way you are catching me wearing shorts there hunting and I love wearing shorts. Everything is out to hurt you there :ROFLMAO:

Zappaman

WKR
Many pictures of THE Australian hunter (I remember seeing several over my lifetime, so some black and white phototos too) typically had a 7’ tall, blonde guy in a full sleeved shirt and (well fitting) cargo shorts. Tall wool socks also.

I’ve used shorts in Texas on night time pigs hunts (sitting In 80 degrees at 1am, with no breeze, and sweating like the pig I’m after). But most times we hunt the bushier stuff and he’ll “no”… no shorts in there.

Last edited:
Kuiu Tiburon have been the best hot weather pants for me down here in AZ and NM. Very breathable and very durable. They were the most durable Kuiu pant until the Kutana's came along. Tiburon's beat the Kutana in hot weather as far as which is cooler to wear.
Do you have any experience in the Attack pant compared to the Kutana and Tiburon in hot weather? Folks keep telling me I should try them, but I swear so bad on my legs I’ve been hesitating.

Do you have any experience in the Attack pant compared to the Kutana and Tiburon in hot weather? Folks keep telling me I should try them, but I swear so bad on my legs I’ve been hesitating.
This is my experience.

Attacks are way too warm for when it is warm or hot here in AZ. The material also picks very easily. They are comfortable but they’re my least favorite Kuiu pants due to their picking issues; Pros are a lot better in this regard. Pros are still too hit for when it’s warm/hot in AZ.

Tiburons rock in the heat. But anything with a point, including mosquitos, goes right through them. They also pick easily. I no longer use mine because of these issues. This is for the previous generation; don’t know if any enhancements were made on the latest release.

Kutanas are my favorite. Run them from about 25 to above 110. They are very resistant to picking; have over 70 days on a single pair and they are just now looking like they’ve been used. This is split between hunting black bear in the nastiest country AZ has and typical Coues country.

BBob

WKR
Yes, here in AZ/NM I almost never wear them (Attack’s) even in winter. The only time I wear them is on late elk hunts in the snow. I wear the Tiburon’s probably 75% of the time followed by the Kutana’s and rarely the Attack. The Attack’s do not wear well down here in all the cat claw and such. The Tiburon’s do very well and the Kutana’s better. One pair of Tiburon’s are going on 4 years or so now. I’ve iron on patched several of holes in the knees but those are from rock climbing and not hunting. I wear them year round everywhere for anything. I probably wear the Tiburon’s more because I have several pair and I’ve had them longer than the Kutana’s (before the Kutana’s existed). I could see using Kutana’s more in the future but I doubt I’ll ever give up the Tiburon’s.

Oh, Tiburon have a slightly looser fit than the Kutana at least in size 32. Waist is probably the same but lower thighs, knees and on down they are looser which in really hot weather is a bonus to me.

Edit: After wearing both Tiburon and Kutana this week on back to back days the Tiburon in size 32 is a much looser fit all around. Seat, thighs, knees, etc... Waist fits about the same but the Kutana is much stretchier so it still fits fine. I seem to prefer the looser fit of the Tiburon especially when I throw a base on so take that FWIW.

Last edited:
Yes, here in AZ/NM I almost never wear them (Attack’s) even in winter. The only time I wear them is on late elk hunts in the snow. I wear the Tiburon’s probably 75% of the time followed by the Kutana’s and rarely the Attack. The Attack’s do not wear well down here in all the cat claw and such. The Tiburon’s do very well and the Kutana’s better. One pair of Tiburon’s are going on 4 years or so now. I’ve iron on patched several of holes in the knees but those are from rock climbing and not hunting. I wear them year round everywhere for anything. I probably wear the Tiburon’s more because I have several pair and I’ve had them longer than the Kutana’s (before the Kutana’s existed). I could see using Kutana’s more in the future but I doubt I’ll ever give up the Tiburon’s.

Oh, Tiburon have a slightly looser fit than the Kutana at least in size 32. Waist is probably the same but lower thighs, knees and on down they are looser which in really hot weather is a bonus to me.
Between this and @AZ_Hunter_2000 your guys’ breakdowns of those pants are stellar. Probably gonna give those Kutanas a look so I can give my shorts a periodic break next archery season. 😉