Should I worry about grizz in late November/early December?

lcx321

Lil-Rokslider
I have a late muzzleloader elk tag in Idaho, the unit is right next to Yellowstone. I don`t do well with freeze dried food, with the cold temperature, I am thinking about bringing some steak.... and it probably won`t go bad for days. I`ve heard grizz can still come out of hibernation sometimes during winter. What do you think? Should I take the risk?

TaperPin

WKR
I wouldn’t worry about it - grizzlies don’t like chest deep snow, and just stay home and watch Netflix.

Some guys on Rokslide sleep with food in the tent - does that make you the bun, or are the steaks the bun and you’re the hamburger? IDK

13322CC0-B89E-4BBE-94FF-68FC8A63F1D1.jpeg94B3C7DD-3C2E-4B61-BEFD-FA6B4FCD9337.jpeg

IDVortex

WKR
I plan on taking steak with me for archery elk this weekend and for almost 12 days middle of September up in the panhandle. I'm not worried on griz, heck. I backpacked in the Henry's in July and left food in my tent.

Id be more worried about stumbling across one out hunting more so then at camp. Especially if you're not staying in a campground.

It is a waste of time to worry, about anything, let alone grizz.

Be smart and be prepared? Yes, intelligently take necessary precautions.

Be respectful of grizz as apex predators? Yes, be smart, be aware of your surroundings, don't do something foolish.

Worry? Nope, waste of time.

mt100gr.

WKR
Screenshot_20231127_174704_Gallery.jpg
Nov. 26, 2023
He's camped out on what's left of my buck from the evening before. In this area they troll the trails and follow human scent/ carcass scent back to an easy meal. He cut my tracks in the parking lot and followed them back over 4 miles to finish processing my deer for me. As mentioned, be aware. They're not coming out of the den for this, they stay out well into the winter months.

I`ve heard grizz can still come out of hibernation sometimes during winter. What do you think? Should I take the risk?
It’s not that they come out of hibernation, they haven’t gone into hibernation is usually the case. Warmer years during hunting season helps the bears stay out from what I’ve seen.
Bear aware where you’re going to hunt would be my suggestion.

6.5Express

Lil-Rokslider
It's been my experience around the park in Wyoming that the bears will stay out as long as there's a supply of fresh carcasses from hunters out. Things like late cow tags, and buffalo hunts leave some of their best meals of the year waiting for them.

That said, if you'd rather eat steak than freeze dry, do it. But be smart about where you cook/eat versus where you sleep.

I'm taking my 3 boys in to a camp with our string of mules this weekend to bowhunt elk and look for other critters in grizzly country and we will probably not eat freeze dried meals. We do it all summer long. But, I will say that it seems to me the late fall and spring when them bears are packing on the calories or just coming out, they sure seem to wander more and use trails and human scent / activity to help them find food.

Access to food largely dictates how long bears stay out. If they can stay in the food they’ll lay around snoozing for a day/s, get up and gorge. Repeat through early winter before they go to sleep for a while.

buffybr

Lil-Rokslider
I've lived, worked, camped, and hunted in grizzly country since 1975. For 20 years I used my horses to pack my hunting camps into the wildernesses adjacent to Yellowstone NP. Many of those years I had deer, elk, moose, or bighorn sheep quarters hanging by my camp. In all those years, I only had 1 grizzly come into my camp.

Keep a clean camp, hang your food and game animals as high as you can and away from your tent, and don't waste time worrying about bears.

EdP

WKR
The only freeze dried foodstuff I eat is meat (Chicken mostly). For carbs it is dried food like pasta, rice, and dehydrated onion, pepper, carrots, and tomato. For additional protein, fat, and flavor I will augment meals with cashews or peanuts. If you cut the veggies up small before dehydrating they will rehydrate in the same 20-30 min it takes for rice or pasta. Canned shrimp with rice and veggies is another good meal option and if you can take steaks you can take canned stuff.

I eat well in the backcountry without eating freeze dried with the associated chemicals and without putting the scent of cooking meat on the wind. The only downside to me is that it takes a little more time to cook rice or pasta than to dump boiling water in a foil pouch.

We have had grizzlies in Kate October early November in negative Temps.

Hang your food and smellys and you'll be okay. Probs would leave a steak at home though lol.

Never had a close encounter but their noses don't fail em