Should I upgrade

I've had a pair of vortex viper hd 10x42 for a few years and they have been great. I have a chance to buy the razor hd 10x42 for $600. Should I spend the money and upgrade? Is that a good deal for the razor's? Thanks for the input

Butcher8

Lil-Rokslider
check out the Olympus binos. I'm a photographer, so I appreciate quality glass and the Olympus glass is some of the best available. They don't get a lot of love on hunting pages. Probably because they're not swaros or Zeiss. But I rate the Olympus lenses as an equal to those without the price tag.

jimh406

WKR
That's a fair price, but I'd buy new Tract Toric 10x42 for $694 instead. Fwiw, they have a Memorial Day sale on for 10% off. I don't know if that includes the binoculars or not. They sell direct to consumers.

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
Vortex Razor HD's are outstanding. $600 is about right for a good used pair.

OP
Thanks guys for some other options, I will check them out. I didn't mention that it was $600 for a new pair of razors.

Marble

WKR
I've had a pair of vortex viper hd 10x42 for a few years and they have been great. I have a chance to buy the razor hd 10x42 for $600. Should I spend the money and upgrade? Is that a good deal for the razor's? Thanks for the input
Save your pennies and buy alpha glass. Use what you have until you get there.

The difference is not significant between the two.

Find $100 a month and by 2025 season you'll be there.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

jimh406

WKR
The difference is not significant between the two.
Something tells me you haven't looked at them or others of the same brand side by side. There's actually more difference on the low end than on the medium high to high end from binoculars I have compared. Razors are the best Vortex offers which probably puts them at mid range or maybe slightly higher.

Watching YouTube reviews, most seem to say the same once they compare all levels. Some of these guys do reviews for all levels and even compare different "alphas".

In any case, if better binoculars are ever needed, there doesn't seem to be a reason to use worse than you have to for each hunting season. YMMV.

Marble

WKR
Something tells me you haven't looked at them or others of the same brand side by side. There's actually more difference on the low end than on the medium high to high end from binoculars I have compared. Razors are the best Vortex offers which probably puts them at mid range or maybe slightly higher.

Watching YouTube reviews, most seem to say the same once they compare all levels. Some of these guys do reviews for all levels and even compare different "alphas".

In any case, if better binoculars are ever needed, there doesn't seem to be a reason to use worse than you have to for each hunting season. YMMV.
It's based more on looking at both the binos mentioned and then Swaros. It's like comparing a tube TV from the 90s to a new TV of today. That's why I say that.

I have used the vortex razor hd in a 15 on a tripod. Didn't even compare to SLC 10x42 on the same tripod. That was my opinion and three others in my group.

I purchased several lower end binos for both my wife and I over the years. Had I known then what I know now about the difference, and just purchased the SLCs to start with, I would saved enough to buy another pair of swaros.

jimh406

WKR
I have used the vortex razor hd in a 15 on a tripod. Didn't even compare to SLC 10x42 on the same tripod. That was my opinion and three others in my group.
I believe that, for sure. Even in the same brand/model, a 10 and 15 don't compare with clarity and brightness. It's very hard to make a great pair of 15s. The higher the power the more you see the difference.

Razor UHD is the best vortex offers, there is a big difference between razor HD and the UHD.
I would agree with others on this post, save your money and buy some alpha glass.

JGRaider

WKR
I own the ELSV, SLC, Meopta Meostar HD, Tact Toric UHD, Razor HD, and an older Gold Ring HD. The fact is you won't see something through one that you can't see through the others. The differences are nitpicking, and you'll only notice it when you have them side by side on tripods, and even then it isn't earth-shattering. The days of the so called "alpha" glass being night and day difference from the $600+ glass are over.

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
I own the ELSV, SLC, Meopta Meostar HD, Tact Toric UHD, Razor HD, and an older Gold Ring HD. The fact is you won't see something through one that you can't see through the others. The differences are nitpicking, and you'll only notice it when you have them side by side on tripods, and even then it isn't earth-shattering. The days of the so called "alpha" glass being night and day difference from the $600+ glass are over.

This is the truth of this matter. I deal in used optics and routinely handle a host of high end binoculars. I am very impressed with Razor HD's and UHD’S. About a month ago I compared a pair of UHD 8x42's against a pair of SLC 8x50's for about 20 minutes until it was nearly dark. I switched back and forth countless times and saw virtually no difference. I drew the same conclusion in bright daylight.

Marble

WKR
That's probably true. What I noticed is that my eyes were very fatigued after using the Vortex HD for a glassing session. When I use the swaro stuff, I feel just fine.

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
I have used vortex razors for the last 5 seasons without any eye fatigue. They are very clear and acceptable edge to edge clarity. 600 dollars is a great deal