Should I replace my rifle scope?

I kinda went down this path before, but taking another approach….

I have a New Ultra Light Arms(when Marvin made them, not the new junk) in 30-06. It currently has a Vortex Diamondback 4-12 without adjustable turrets on it. It works. It’s killed deer.

Am I crazy to think it needs upgraded? I was always told the whole “you spend twice as much on a scope as the rifle!” Now clearly I’m not gonna buy at $8,000 scope, but does the gun deserve better than what is probably an entry level scope? Or do I stick with what works?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
For a rifle like that, yes. No need to go crazy but I'd at least go to the level of a Maven RS 1.2 or Nightforce SHV minimum for that quality of rifle (with good scope rings too).

Night force is one I keep contemplating. If I do it, I’m going adjustable turrets and illuminated.

I’m currently sitting in an airport waiting on my flight so the over researching has begun haha

OP
T
That's true. It's nice having good turrets for dialing too.

Yeah I’m starting to get into shooting a little further. I live in WV so my whole life I didn’t know anything past 150yd existed. Now going out west, I see how being able to dial could be really nice.

2five7

WKR
Are you a set it and forget it guy? Or a crazy knob twister? How far do you generally shoot? Things to think about when deciding mag range, obj size, etc.

smax

FNG
Yeah I’m starting to get into shooting a little further. I live in WV so my whole life I didn’t know anything past 150yd existed. Now going out west, I see how being able to dial could be really nice.

Having a reticle that you can hold wind is nice too. Some reticles get a little busy for hunting though.

OP
T
Are you a set it and forget it guy? Or a crazy knob twister? How far do you generally shoot? Things to think about when deciding mag range, obj size, etc.

Never had one I can twist knobs on so not sure. I figure if I have it, cool I can try it out and maybe use it. If I don’t like it, it’s not hurting anything. However I’ve been in situations for sure that I had the time to take and dial, and I like the idea of knowing I can hold dead on and be good.

I’m far from a long range guy though. Longest shot on an animal to date is 297.

He hasn't mentioned drop testing it. So how does he know it ain't broke?

Well, since he did not say that he fell on it and bent it, or that it fell out of his pickup truck while driving 30 mph on a gravel road, or that it didn't fall off a 300 foot cliff, I'm assuming - probably correctly - that it's NOT broke.

Axlrod

WKR
Well, since he did not say that he fell on it and bent it, or that it fell out of his pickup truck while driving 30 mph on a gravel road, or that it didn't fall off a 300 foot cliff, I'm assuming - probably correctly - that it's NOT broke.
There are lots of scopes that are "broke" when they are new. The only way to know, is to test them.

I saw a great price here on an LRHS this week. Since Maven became the Rokslide darling, there's been a lot of good scopes on here for reasonable prices.

I would replace the diamondback on the possibility that it could come up lame unexpectedly. For reference, my viper binoculars randomly went out of collimation... twice.

NealS02

FNG
I often think that getting a new scope is something I should be taking seriously. At those times, I ask myself if a new scope would help me achieve my goal of killing game at 300 yards or less. The answer is always no. If you plan on long distance target shooting it makes sense to upgrade. Otherwise stick with what works.

OP
T
I saw a great price here on an LRHS this week. Since Maven became the Rokslide darling, there's been a lot of good scopes on here for reasonable prices.

I would replace the diamondback on the possibility that it could come up lame unexpectedly. For reference, my viper binoculars randomly went out of collimation... twice.

Yeah this is my concern. Seems to be a lot of talk on here lately about vortex relying too much on their warranty and not just building quality. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Binos and spotter from them, but if they crap out mid hunt I can survive, scope, not so much.