Should I modify these Micro Hades?

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I got some Grim Reaper Micro Hades 3 blades. Very nice broadhead overall.

On my particular arrow insert (Victory 33 grain steel) they create a small gap between the bottom of the broadhead washer and the face of the insert. This is caused by a small lip on the washer.
Grim Reaper says this ring is to help center the broadhead ferrule in the insert and that most inserts are chamfered on that inside edge. My inserts are basically a 90 degree cut on that inside shoulder. They said the small gap won’t make a difference though. I imagine they are right.

I ground one of the washers flat on one side, which does eliminate the gap. Do you think this makes enough of a difference that it is worth doing to all of them?

Attachments

• FA9858A8-6E47-42E7-8AB9-3BDACBD1AF61.jpeg
    FA9858A8-6E47-42E7-8AB9-3BDACBD1AF61.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 237CD586-8DD6-4C4D-9E20-801B0C08F62E.jpeg
    237CD586-8DD6-4C4D-9E20-801B0C08F62E.jpeg
    344.4 KB · Views: 43
I may have to try that and see if it helps the ones I bought to spin true. I picked up 6 of them and only two spin true. Thanks for the idea

MattB

WKR
I have historically found that, when random guys on the internet ignore advice from people who do it for a living, they end up with suboptimal results.

OP
Dave0317

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
Point taken MattB. Not questioning the guys at Grim Reaper, just getting a second opinion, seeing what others thoughts are. Experts in a given field often do have differing opinions.

I’m ok with a suboptimal result due to experimenting with one or two broadheads as long as I learn something from it. Even if it is not really a problem to use it as sold, maybe I’m really asking if removing the gap is an improvement in any way. Especially considering the inserts I’m using don’t seem to have a particular chamfer that they designed the washer to fit into.

nexus

FNG
So far I have either shot or hunted with someone else that has used that same broadhead for rocky mountain elk, tule elk, axis deer, Spanish goats, red stag, pronghorn, mule deer, whitetail and numerous wild pigs. Guess my friends and I need to get out and chase a turkey or two. I have never had a problem with either tuning or lethality. Since Grim Reaper switched to the stainless steel body, the heads have been unstoppable.

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Point taken MattB. Not questioning the guys at Grim Reaper, just getting a second opinion, seeing what others thoughts are. Experts in a given field often do have differing opinions.

I’m ok with a suboptimal result due to experimenting with one or two broadheads as long as I learn something from it. Even if it is not really a problem to use it as sold, maybe I’m really asking if removing the gap is an improvement in any way. Especially considering the inserts I’m using don’t seem to have a particular chamfer that they designed the washer to fit into.
Assuming you could make it perfectly flat so it doesn't add to TIR on the head once assemble to the shaft It would probably be fine. It maybe would make the assembled arrow very slightly more durable since the bearing surface between the broad and insert would be bigger. I could see a lot of people attempting to flatten the washer then making it less than flat and adding to their own problems though. Personally I would just shoot them as is.