Shotgun loads for coyote?

BLJ

WKR
Remington 11-87 12 gauge with a factory Remington full choke. Looking for recommendations for coyote. Typical eastern hardwoods. 75 yards is a long shot in the woods where I’m at. 50 would be a lot more likely.
I’ve got some 3” #6 that i haven’t tried to pattern yet. I know each gun/choke will be different.
Also not looking to spend $10 a shot. Thanks.

Chris B

Lil-Rokslider
Hornady #4 buckshot through a improved or modified choke depending on how your gun patterns rhem . I wouldn't recommend the #6s .

I was always partial to 3” buffered BB. 4 buck if choked right is ok.

Nothing better than touching off a 12 gauge on a coyote.

But anymore the scattergun is kind of dead weight for the amount it gets used.

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
I’ve got some #4 buck to try. What choke? I’ve got full, modify, and improved cylinder. All factory Remington. Thanks

^ What he said.

I believe the choke I have is a .711 constriction, which is in between most modified and IC tubes, and patterns BB very well to 60 and 4 buck to a solid 50 yards.

Reactions: BLJ
OP
B

BLJ

WKR
I'll try the #4 buckshot with a couple different chokes and see what happens. Thanks.

uhcoog1

FNG
If you're sticking with lead, look at T shot. It's roughly halfway between BB and #4 buck. I prefer something harder than lead to keep the pattern more uniform (there's arguments lead deforms when fired and doesn't fly as straight). We've had success with some 'heavier than lead' goose loads (just don't do steel shot, period).

TheGDog

WKR
Hevi Bismuth! #4 shot Waterfowl loads 3". Modified choke.

Worked just fine out to the short distances 25-35yds the caller was put out at.

EDIT: I'd even say "With authority" it worked.

Last edited:

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
I've shot dozens of yotes and fox with shotgun. Lead BB is the minimum I would use on yotes, lead 2's for fox. 3.5" #4 buck was my go-to through a patternmaster choke for years before I switched to tungsten loads. I've shot a half dozen coyotes with steel BB, 2's, or 1's, all while goose hunting, and I never had a DRT shot on one even though all were inside 40 yards. Get some lead or tungsten, pattern, hunt.

WCB

WKR
Copper plated bbs or 4 buck....killed a lot pass 50yds with copper plated bbs