Shot IQ

People that I shoot with that are much better than me dissuaded me from enrolling in Shot IQ. One of them actually took the course and said that it was more conducive to trad archery than shooting with a compound.

They convinced me to buy a hinge and work on shot execution/follow through instead of paying for the course.

Curious to hear what others have to say.

Zac

WKR
I bought his book, I'm sure the course has worthwhile information. However I think you could find any of his podcasts or even youtube content that would give you the same information. Even his interview with Rogan is fairly insightful.

LostArra

WKR
Joel's son, Bodie is a teenage phenom with a compound at Vegas and World Archery so I'm guessing the principles apply to both disciplines.

Through the many pod cast and articles I have tried the basic principles. I have no complaints or anything negative to say. I do think it helps me stay in my shot.

I bought the course, have been through it, and continue to reference it.

It has been worth it to me.

I’ve had significant target panic for quite a while and when I really focus on the process he teaches it helps a lot.

A lot of my target panic came from recoil sensitivity after shooting magnum rifles for many years.

Then I started shooting a trad bow and that made it worse as I began snap shooting.

So, for his course, I only focused on the compound lessons and I thought they were very good. He even has specific instruction for the different types of releases (and I’ve tried most all of them).

I think the same things could be learned from in person courses, but I don’t have a convenient local instructor I trust and I like the convenience of rewatching lessons whenever I have a few minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have his book. I think you can glean the summary of the course and book by thumbing through a lot of his content scattered about the internet, YouTube videos, podcasts, etc.

It all revolves round having a controlled shot process, get your aiming done, then focus your conscious mind on the release manipulation while you maintain pin float on target in the subconcious background. Course and book may give more concrete tactics and methods, but the concept is fairly simple.

I studied dudleys school of nock years ago and he talks about a similar concept, accept the pin float, have a "dynamic shot", which I interpreted as movement in your sight picture, pressure forward and backward on the bow, and pressure on release to manipulate. There is never a perfect time when everything is static and ready to release arrow.

Last edited:
I would say, you should focus shot dynamics and focusing on the target. If you have bad form you'll pull shots. If your shot is repeatable you'll be consistent. People get soo wrapped around missing and pulling the shot, that they forget to "will the arrow" into the target. Just like shooting a gun. you can aim at a target or you can aim at a small dot on that target. you'll shoot better if you focus on shooting a small dot on the target

Beendare

WKR
I can’t comment on the shot IQ…but I can tell you there is a lot of free info on the internet By various pro’s and Olympians.

Its worth knowing yourself- and how you learn the best. Some cannot read a book or watch a video and then execute. Its sometimes difficult to self diagnose.
It is possible, through a combination of understanding EXACTLY what we are supposed to be doing and then videoing ourselves shooting to diagnose. I typically do that once a year.

Far and away the best strategy and best allocation of $$ is to do in person training with a coach.….better than any vid or book. There are NFAA high level coaches all over the US.

Zac

WKR
I would say, you should focus shot dynamics and focusing on the target. If you have bad form you'll pull shots. If your shot is repeatable you'll be consistent. People get soo wrapped around missing and pulling the shot, that they forget to "will the arrow" into the target. Just like shooting a gun. you can aim at a target or you can aim at a small dot on that target. you'll shoot better if you focus on shooting a small dot on the target
Will the arrow into the target? That is your advice for TP?

TheTone

WKR
Is it that different than what others are charging money to teach? Seems to basically be pick a spot, aim in, focus hard on manipulating the trigger

Zac

WKR
Is it that different than what others are charging money to teach? Seems to basically be pick a spot, aim in, focus hard on manipulating the trigger
It is different. If your going to will something to happen you mine as well include that self help book called The Secret. You may also want to include the fairy godmother, and some elves or something.

I say willing the arrow into the target because thats the best way to shortly describe what I'm saying. You need to be soley focus on where you're shooting and in your minds eye have to see the arrow going there. If your brain thinks that shot is going somewhere other than where "you want it" then your brain will send that arrow elsewhere
BUT like I said, if you don't have good repeatable form, you'll never hit your mark

Zac

WKR
These threads should totally stop after someone mentions Turner. Why everyone feels inclined to make vague TP comments is beyond me.

Zac

WKR
Why (turner)? And what do you mean by vague TP comments?
Anybody who says this is what works for me, etc. Why not Turner? He is the only one that has come up with a tried and true system. Unfortunately in these topics it usually gets buried with everyone that wants to chime in.

Trial153

WKR
Anybody who says this is what works for me, etc. Why not Turner? He is the only one that has come up with a tried and true system. Unfortunately in these topics it usually gets buried with everyone that wants to chime in.

Joel Turner, author instructor archery and firearms trainer and instructor, swat team leader and coach doesn’t have anything on the internet experts that haven’t even read his work or attended training … just ask then they will tell you.