Shot Adjustment on Mountain Hunts

Feel kinda stupid asking this but I've really only ever shot on flat ground and I can't find information online maybe I'm not searching right terms... If an Elk is significantly higher above or below you, how do you go about adjusting your shots? I know how to adjust my turrets for different distances, I just don't know how much I'd need to adjust them in this situation without practice...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
At shorter to moderate ranges, there is a fair amount of leeway for angle compensation, as in you're only talking a difference of an inch to 1.5 inches at moderate angles. When you start looking at longer shots, it becomes more critical. And, if you're hunting steep country, you can expect to take steep shots: 25 degrees isn't uncommon in steep country and you could definitely get presented with steeper shots.

1. You can invest in a geoballastics rangefinder that will provide the scope compensation/turret adjustments for your specific set up. Some of the non GB rangefinders offer a limited amount of data, but if its not precise to your caliber and load, it may not be sufficiently accurate. I have an older Bushnell that does this but the closest setting for my rifle is not close enough to be accurate.
2. You can make a secondary DOPE chart with angle compensation factors. This could get complicated in sudden and stressful shots.
3. You can memorize a formula for your caliber and load
4. You can use an app (hardly efficient for real world hunting)
?

Ultimately, you need to practice steep angle shots. The setup for such shots can be (and usually is) extremely frustrating and flustering -lots of adjustments, trying to get your pack in your lap to stablize the rear of the gun, bino harness in your way, your butt sliding down the hill as your're trying to get stable ..... all kinds of things going on.

Upward or downward, it’s the horizontal distance between you and the target that matters. A steep high angle shot on a 40 degree slope starts to become an issue at 300+ yards or so.

The other issue to take into consideration is the POA. You’ll need to hold lower or higher on the animal depending on steep uphill or steep downhill angles, regardless of shot distance.

Antares

WKR
High angle = high impact

That's how I remember it, but as stated above, if you set your RF to an angle compensation mode you don't have to remember anything. Just range and shoot.

OP
E
Upward or downward, it’s the horizontal distance between you and the target that matters. A steep high angle shot on a 40 degree slope starts to become an issue at 300+ yards or so.

The other issue to take into consideration is the POA. You’ll need to hold lower or higher on the animal depending on steep uphill or steep downhill angles, regardless of shot distance.

Likely only shooting out to 300 so works well for me!

WCB

WKR
Likely only shooting out to 300 so works well for me!

Like others have said shoot the horizontal distance. Most range finders have angle compensation options. Set your range finder to that and use that distance don't worry about line of sight distance.

Also, in steep country on shots like yours 300yds and in most clients had the typical 1.5" high at 100 zero. I always told clients to aim at the heart. Even with the correct distance dialed into the scope and steep angles point of entry tends to hit high. So guys that aim mid body height or try high shoulder shots tend to shoot over animals in my experience. Don't over think it though for 300 yards and in.

when would you aim higher? Whether uphill or down hill you "always" aim lower.
If you are shooting downhill and don’t take anatomy into consideration you will hit low in the vital area. Think of a cross section of an animal. You aren’t aiming for a spot in the surface so much as you are aiming for the spot in the middle of the cross section.

Steep downhill you need to aim higher on the body and steep uphill you need to aim lower, all things considered after making your ballistic calculations.

Marshfly

WKR
If you are shooting downhill and don’t take anatomy into consideration you will hit low in the vital area. Think of a cross section of an animal. You aren’t aiming for a spot in the surface so much as you are aiming for the spot in the middle of the cross section.

Steep downhill you need to aim higher on the body and steep uphill you need to aim lower, all things considered after making your ballistic calculations.
This is why we always do "best kill" and not scoring rings when we shoot 3d archery.

Aim for your exit. No matter the angle. Up. Down. Quartering. Both. Etc.

EdP

WKR
The horizontal distance is what determines POI, so whether up slope or down slope your shot will hit high if you hold based on the straight line distance. As others said, many range finders have a setting that reads the horizontal distance so bullet drop can be properly determined. However, you still need to take into account the angle the bullet takes through the animal. If the bullet travels through the animal on the same trajectory as it's approach, it will exit above entry if the animal is up slope and below entry if down slope.