Shorty .22 Creed: Guess the Speed

What's the velocity with Hornady 80-grain ELD-X ammo?

• 2,800 fps

• 2,900 fps

• 3,000 fps

• 3,100 fps

Results are only viewable after voting.
Here's a barrel you don't see every day. It's a integrally-suppressed .22 Creedmoor barrel from SWS Rifles. Uniquely, they build suppressors by milling out baffles and expansion chambers from a full-diameter barrel blank. In other words, it's a monolithic barrel and suppressor. SWS then slides a titanium shroud over the barrel to capture the gases.

I had this barrel built it to be as short as possible. It's 20 inches in overall length with 14 inches of rifling. For a mini magnum like the .22 Creed, I wondered how much velocity loss would occur.

IMG_8232.jpeg

IMG_8233.jpeg

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So very cool!

Stamp for the suppression. None for SBR because barrel length measured from the total length of the barrel like a pinned and welded barrel.

OP
StupidLightweight

Exactly. The barrel is the suppressor, so you still gotta jump through those hoops, but it's not an SBR, so we'll call it a one-stamp shorty.

Prices start at $2,250 for barrel install on your action. On this build, I used a Custom Shop Rem 700 Ti action from Pacific Tool and Gauge. With AG Composites stock and bottom metal, Trijicon AccuPoint 3-9X, SRS rail, Seekins rings, Blue Force Gear sling, and 5-round MDT poly magazine, total weight is 7 pounds, 14.4 ounces.

I haven't shot it much yet, but it's a handy package and the velocity certainly surprised me.

OP
StupidLightweight
Velocity is just a hair over 3,000 fps, which will only speed up as she burns more rounds. At my elevation, that's 1,800 fps impact velocity at 750 yards, or 200 yards further than my 17-inch .223 with 77-grain TMKs.

So far, I'm impressed by the .22 Creed. I also have a 20-inch PROOF barrel that I need to get data on.

AZ_Hunter

WKR
Classified Approved
That’s cool.

Take whatever barrel length velocity data you can get, subtract 25 fps per inch, and then add another 25 fps for the freebore boost.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Here's a barrel you don't see every day. It's a integrally-suppressed .22 Creedmoor barrel from SWS Rifles. Uniquely, they build suppressors by milling out baffles and expansion chambers from a full-diameter barrel blank. In other words, it's a monolithic barrel and suppressor. SWS then slides a titanium shroud over the barrel to capture the gases.

I had this barrel built it to be as short as possible. It's 20 inches in overall length with 14 inches of rifling. For a mini magnum like the .22 Creed, I wondered how much velocity loss would occur.

View attachment 780318

View attachment 780319

The integrally suppressed barrels such as the SWS lose a lot less MV than one would think. The 20” versions are usually about the MV of an 18” normal barrel.

Quite frankly, over the barrel suppressors are what should be the standard for normal barrels; and integral should be the standard when a bee barrel is meant to be suppressed full time.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Velocity is just a hair over 3,000 fps, which will only speed up as she burns more rounds. At my elevation, that's 1,800 fps impact velocity at 750 yards, or 200 yards further than my 17-inch .223 with 77-grain TMKs.

So far, I'm impressed by the .22 Creed. I also have a 20-inch PROOF barrel that I need to get data on.

Saw this after my post. Thats what I would expect from an integrally suppressed barrel.

OP
StupidLightweight
The integrally suppressed barrels such as the SWS lose a lot less MV than one would think. The 20” versions are usually about the MV of an 18” normal barrel
Form, am I understanding you correctly? Are you saying that at the same length, an integrally-suppressed tube will produce more velocity than a threaded and traditionally-suppressed barrel? If so, please explain the physics of this.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Form, am I understanding you correctly? Are you saying that at the same length, an integrally-suppressed tube will produce more velocity than a threaded and traditionally-suppressed barrel? If so, please explain the physics of this.

No. I’m saying that integrally suppressed barrel with porting don’t lose as many FPS as a standard barrel. You have 14” of rifling in your barrel, but with an overall length including the porting of 20”. It’s producing more MV than just a standard 14” barrel will.

rugerhoyt

Lil-Rokslider

Dang! I’m getting 3085 out of an 18” Horizon Vandal C with stock 80 gr Hornady Precision Match and a deadair sandman can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thegman

WKR
That's a cool barrel. I would expect no less from the OP...😅

But I do understand the question, how would velocity be any different than screwing on a 6" suppressor, but it seems maybe it is...(?).

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
No. I’m saying that integrally suppressed barrel with porting don’t lose as many FPS as a standard barrel. You have 14” of rifling in your barrel, but with an overall length including the porting of 20”. It’s producing more MV than just a standard 14” barrel will.
Question you may not have an answer for. Is this anything unique to the integral suppression specifically or the fact the integral suppression is a smaller diameter thus holding more pressure behind the bullet long than a larger volume suppressor? Would a barrel diameter screw on suppressor produce similar results?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Question you may not have an answer for. Is this anything unique to the integral suppression specifically or the fact the integral suppression is a smaller diameter thus holding more pressure behind the bullet long than a larger volume suppressor? Would a barrel diameter screw on suppressor produce similar results?

I don’t have an actually known answer. Clearly there is pressure still working on the bullet past the ports- whether that is the intermittent rifling, or the can still helping pressure behind the bullet I am not sure.

Duh

WKR
So after you burn the barrel out, do you have to apply for another tax stamp to put another one on or is that stamp basically for the titanium shroud that covers the barrel?

So after you burn the barrel out, do you have to apply for another tax stamp to put another one on or is that stamp basically for the titanium shroud that covers the barrel?
I guess that would be my question as well, especially for something like a 22 creed. I get if it's only used for hunting that would take a while, but with a setup like that it would be too fun to shoot all the time.

Reactions: Duh

AZ_Hunter

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes. Free-bore boost. I usually get 25-30fps w/can vs no can. The smaller the OD, and longer the can, theoretically should yield more free bore boost.