Short Notice, Long Trip to AZ

work is sending me to Tucson for a few weeks in September into October. I talked to someone from AZ game and fish to get an idea of what to look at, now I’m coming here for another point of view.

It looks like legally I can probably hunt black bear, mountain lion, and an assortment of small game. I’m ambitious but I try not to be stupid. Would y’all have any pointers on making something in that realm seem viable for weekend trips based from Tucson? Did I miss anything? Should I skip hunting and just go hike or fish some if I want some nature time?

bnsafe

WKR
I was in Tucson for work last jan thru march. I loved it. I didnt hunt, but lots to see and do, lots of quail around. Dunno how hot its gonna be but Tucson was great.
I will say, that is some rough country around there tho

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
Would have to go look at the small game regs, but not sure quail is open yet. Dove would be more than fun. Lots of DIY opportunity around Tucson. Fishing is eeehh,, most of the better lakes are 1 1/2 - 2+ hours away. Scenic, but fishing is subpar (or maybe I'm a terrible fisherman). Hikes are ok- Madera Canyon, Sabino Canyon etc. there is a post on here somewhere about what to do in Tucson. Food trucks are a must- get a Sonoran hotdog & birria tacos. pretty decent history if you are into that-

Would have to go look at the small game regs, but not sure quail is open yet. Dove would be more than fun. Lots of DIY opportunity around Tucson. Fishing is eeehh,, most of the better lakes are 1 1/2 - 2+ hours away. Scenic, but fishing is subpar (or maybe I'm a terrible fisherman). Hikes are ok- Madera Canyon, Sabino Canyon etc. there is a post on here somewhere about what to do in Tucson. Food trucks are a must- get a Sonoran hotdog & birria tacos. pretty decent history if you are into that-
My cousin lives in Tucson and he slays bass all the time. I dont know enough about the area to tell you where, but he is always throwing lunkers up on FB. Ive spent a little time there. My wife's now estranged brother lived there for a long time just outside of Sabino Canyon. Nice part of town. Can't speak to whether or not it's a sh#thole overall but we enjoyed our visits there. I just got back from a two week stint in phoenix and the food in az is decent.

BBob

WKR
I don’t know where that guy hung out but it’s not a shitehole and plenty of friendly people here. We’ve got some great bass fishing believe it or not and a million other things to do outside. Trout and smallmouth within a few hours or so. Lots of great food. Awesome mountains.

BBob

WKR
^^^ I can be looking at sheep in as little as 20-30 minutes. Same for deer. I can be climbing or hiking in that amount of time or less. I can be mountain biking or trail running in the same. I can be on bass and panfish in about an hour and a half. I can be up on the mountain out of the heat trucking around at 8K ft or so in an hour and a half.

CorbLand

WKR
In the next five years, I will be joining you two. I dont want to live down that far south, most likely farther north eastern but I fell in love with that area when I was down there on a sheep hunt.

OP
R
If it was me, I would skip hunting and take my optics. Your close to a lot of areas that hold desert sheep and some good deer, if you can find them. Thats what I would do.
That is my bare minimum plan for outdoor adventures. A hunt is only if I can make it make logistical sense and I’m aware it will be a stretch. But I couldn’t not ask the question, you know?

bnsafe

WKR
I met some great people while I was there. Cant complain at all. The mountains are gorgeous, but man are they rough.

Weldor

WKR
Bear does not open until the first week in October this year. Still be pretty warm in September Dove is the way to go. No closed season on Eurasian doves.

Oldirtdog

FNG
I'd recommend cruising up catalina highway and going to Mt. Lemon. Get up there early, tons of awesome trails to get a good ruck in, and glass up some Coues before you hit timber. The road up is an awesome transition from desert (3k) to pines (9k) and paved on the front side all the way up (no issues with your rental car). Then go up top to the ski resort and stop by the Oktoberfest that's going on for some beers and food. There's also a small lake stocked with trout up there if you want some mediocre fishing.

Tucson's culinary scene is also exceptional. If you like mexican food, there's a ton of great/reasonable options.