short draw length elk set up

jbeikmann

FNG
Looking for some input on my set up for elk. I'm shooting 75 Lbs, 26.5" dl, VAP TKO's. Looking to stay around the 420 grain mark. I have just installed some Iron will components on the end of my arrows. I have 6 made for snyder core and 6 for the Deep6. Personally I think they have the strongest insert system but of course limited on heads. I have so many questions about the iron will system and just which heads would be best for elk. Having a short draw length seems to be very limiting on what gives me enough confidence in my set up. Any more input appreciated!

OP
J

jbeikmann

FNG
You should be good. I have a 27”
Draw. I shoot 70 lbs. 440 Grain arrow

Ironwill makes great heads. Sharp
And fly well
I have a friend that has taken 2 whitetail with Iron will's. No blood trail with either, and has lost one while shooting Iron will 125's. that is really my only other concern of using them.

Bump79

WKR
That's not really a low energy setup in my book. I'd go 135 Syndercore double bevel solid personally. Single bevel if you feel like it

Reactions: Zac
OP
J

jbeikmann

FNG
That's not really a low energy setup in my book. I'd go 135 Syndercore double bevel solid personally. Single bevel if you feel like it
My thoughts were to do the snyder core 110 vented. I'm a little concerned about too much FOC with the crossbow bolts that I use for arrows...

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
My thoughts were to do the snyder core 110 vented. I'm a little concerned about too much FOC with the crossbow bolts that I use for arrows...
Vented are noisier than solid. Too much FOC?🤔 What is your calculate FOC right now?

Iron Will makes great heads. Shoot any of them with confidence; they will get the job done. Blood trails are more a function of shot placement (and luck) than broadhead design. If you're committed to a Deep Six insert, your broadhead options are very limited anyway. Iron Will, QAD Exodus, and Sevr are the only Deep Six heads I can think of off the top of my head.

OP
J

jbeikmann

FNG
Iron Will makes great heads. Shoot any of them with confidence; they will get the job done. Blood trails are more a function of shot placement (and luck) than broadhead design. If you're committed to a Deep Six insert, your broadhead options are very limited anyway. Iron Will, QAD Exodus, and Sevr are the only Deep Six heads I can think of off the top of my head.
I believe all the heads you mentioned are good heads! I hit an elk with a SEVR last year and did not recover it. Had to be the broadheads fault, not my shot placement. lol
The 135 snyder core double bevel is probably my #2 choice right now. Thinking the Vented 110 snyder core #1

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
I believe my current FOC is 14.5% with the 110. The 135 would put me to 17%
Either will work, but I usually err on the side of a little heavier and don't worry about FOC. There's nothing wrong with 17%, It'll perform just fine.

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
I am shooting 65 lbs at 27.5" draw length. I have used arrows in the 400-440 grain range, with speeds between 250-270 fps over the years.
Old School Muzzy 3 blades have been my main BH. All broadside shots have been a passthrough, quartering away will stop if the far shoulder socket is hit. It is not a setup you want to hit a scapula with. Over the years I have done that twice, got through it once and did not the other time.

I am almost out of the old Muzzy originals and moved to a Sevr 1.5" after Idaho started allowing mechanicals.
Last year I shot one at 27 yards with a Sevr, TAW of 425 grains. It was a double lung shot, passed through, and it ran 50 yards and was down. No complaints with them so far.
I do sharpen the Sevr's up with a KME broadhead jig, out of the package sharpness is disappointing. Have always had to sharpen the Muzzy replacement blades too though.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't been around the iron will vented at all. Do you think they would be comparable to a vented 3 blade like the grim reaper micro hades?
I haven't shot the GR hades or micro, so I can't comment on the noise if that's question. Any vented BH is going to be noisier than a solid. So do seem to have a higher pitched "whistle" than others. There are a few guys in my area that have used and like the Hades. As far as strength, the Iron Will will be far stronger.

Zac

WKR
You could drop your draw weight to 40 lbs, and still be fine as long as you had something from IW on the front.

ATL

FNG
The several elk I shot (recovered all) between 2011-2016 were with my lowest energy producing setup. 2008 Bowtech Equalizer, 27” at 60#. Arrows were Easton Axis 400, stock inserts, and 100/125 grain Slick Trick Standards. TAW was 450’ish possibly, not positive on speed, but 250-260 fps is what I seem to remember.

I can not tell the difference with higher energy setups from the past and more recent present. A couple pass throughs, full body length penetration with point poking through rear of hip, broken front shoulder joint (admittedly lucky on that one) with penetration through heart and into opposite shoulder. The Bull’s leg collapsed at impact, lost footing on steep WY hillside, rolled approximately 50 yards downhill till the trees stopped him, he was dead within 20 seconds.

The most important elements to me for deep penetration is true arrow flight, focusing what ever energy available directly behind the arrow tip, narrow cutting diameter, sharp tip, and extremely sharp blades. I sharpen every broadhead myself before hunting.

Reactions: Zac