Short Brace Height

Couple things to keep in mind....
1) The thing that causes more string slap than any other factor (regardless of BH) is your draw length. Too long=STRING BURN.

2) The brace height has NOTHING to do with the string angle (independently) as jmex states. A 29 inch ata bow with a 12 inch brace height will have a MUCH MUCH steeper string angle at full draw than that of a 41 inch ata bow with a 5 inch brace height... it is simple geometry. It depends on your DL, the BH and the ata of the bow, but all things held equal, shorter ata means steeper string angles. You have to take into account the riser geometry and the limb angles and everything, you cannot just make a blanket statement. THAT SAID, I think what he was trying to convey is the fact that a shorter BH bow with longer draw length will have a tendancy to be effected by torque more throughout the shot process (while the while is on the string) As he mentioned, this is not a timing factor as much as a factor of the closer string being closer to the riser will show the effects of torque more than a longer bh. It will not cause you to actually torque it more, it will just have a worse outcome if you do. As mentioned, good torque free form will make this a non issue..... In hunting, it is not always possible to get that form (in a stand, bihind bushes, extreme angles etc.

3) it is a constant argument about whether or not the BH effects torque more because it is "on the string longer" or with goemetry issues as JMEX brings up. I tend to ignore the "time on string" argument for torque..... But one thing is for certain, the time on the string (power stroke) does have a large effect on the SPEED of the arrow. I have friends (prfessional shooters sponsored by hoyt and mathews) that shoot ligher target arrows because they feel that the less time on the string the more forgiving the bow is..... believe what you want, but trust me, it works for them. I watched one shoot three rounds on a vegas face in a row and only drop 1 baby X haha

4) if you are taking your grip off you are ADDING DRAWLENGTH. It may only be a quarter of an inch, but it can be a big difference. I can tell when my string has stretched to where my DL is off by only an eighth of an inch. FACTOR THAT IN.

5) string stops help a lot

ctdad

FNG
"the fact that a shorter BH bow with longer draw length will have a tendancy to be effected by torque more throughout the shot process (while the while is on the string) As he mentioned, this is not a timing factor as much as a factor of the closer string being closer to the riser will show the effects of torque more than a longer bh. It will not cause you to actually torque it more, it will just have a worse outcome if you do."

Can you explain why the effects of torque are magnified when the string is closer to the riser than when it is further away? (shorter vs. longer bh). I'm not arguing, but I don't understand.

I've questioned the validity of time on the string due to the speed of most modern bows and the very small amount of time difference an arrow is on the string with a short vs long bh. However, as I read your post and try to process it, I'm having difficulty separating your geometry theory from the time on the string. But to repeat, I'm asking so that I can understand, not to disagree.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Short brace height bows....I shoot em better than any bow I have owned. You can talk about brace height pros and cons til you're blue in the face. But it comes down to each individual and what works best for them. Some people refuse to go less than 7" BH and will talk smack about bows that are less than that....and most times they have never shot one. Perfect form comes into play with any style of bow and everybody needs to achieve that to be the best shot possible.

Two years ago now Mathews and an outside consulting group did a bunch of tests on shorter brace bows VS the 7" because of this debate. PPL saying a 7" is more forgiving and the BIG one: the arrow is on the string to long w/ a 6" bow.

They found better speeds w/ the 6" bow and THE DIFFERENCE IN TIME BETWEEN A 7 VS 6 INCHES IS LESS TIME THAN IT TAKES A FLUORESCENT LIGHT TO FLICKER (which the human eye can't see!!)

Form is the bigger factor as J-rod said above BUT I have seen guys shoot 7"+ brace bows and rake their arms.

So play around and test some 6" bows. I think that you'll like them.

velvetfvr

WKR
No issues here when I had my omen pro. I could stack arrows fine at any distance. Main thing is having a repeatable form. This will help a lot with these bows and a accurate DL and not a long DL.