Short Barrel Suppressed 7s for Elk

I'd like to add a 7 to my collection and use the new Rokstock. I'll probably cut a factory Tikka stainless to 20". I know 7 RM has more case capacity than 7 PRC. But I'm seeing conflicting results for the 7 PRC running higher pressure and the classic gun rags have some comparisons that leave a lot to be desired. i.e. They just go by the back of the factory ammo box.

Questions:
-Is the 7mm 160 gr TMK similar to the 22 cal 77 gr TMK and the 6.5 mm 130 gr TMK regarding performance on game?
-If this is the bullet choice, does PRC gain anything?
-Using a 20 inch barrel, what range are handloaders seeing better performance with a 7 PRC 180 ELD-M compared to a 7 RM using a 160 TMK or 162 ELD-M?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How far do you want to shoot?
What twist barrel?

I would shoot the 175 to 180 Hornady ELDx or Berger hunting bullets and go with the 7 PRC because the rifle will come from the factory set up for long heavy bullets. I wouldn’t sweat all the gun rag discussions.

The velocity difference is going to be without consequence and the Rem Mag brings negatives, IMO. I shot a 7 Rem mag and sold it to a good friend who is still shooting it, so if you do get one, you will be able to get it done.

You can shoot the 180 class bullets at 2850+ fps. They will kill stuff plenty dead inside 600 yards. If you load a 160 in a 7mm, IMO you may as well go with the 6.5 PRC and run a 140+ grain bullet.

Velocity and a good bullet is what kills. Don’t get hung up on the 77 gr TMK. The Hornady ELDx and Berger will also perform in other calibers, including the .223.

This is my 7 SS mag shooting a 180 VLD at 3100 fps with a 26” barrel. It went through him and blew a hole in his offside back leg. He tipped over dead just out of the frame. A friend made the 730 yard shot with my proven rifle system and coaching for the shot. Definitely not something I recommend unless the system is proven and the dope is good.

Last edited:

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You can watch the trace/vapor trail well if you slow the video down in YouTube’s settings. Wind was calm and steady breeze.

OP
dreamingWest
I'm leaning PRC for the "newness". But I could save money if I just chop a factory 7RM (9.5 twist). If I go PRC it will be a custom barrel (so I'm thinking 1:8).

I'm thinking 400-700 yards on elk, 1,000 yards on target. My 30-06 shoots 178 ELD-X at 2760 MV. Honestly that's great performance and a very good 400 yard hunting rifle. But I'd like to match or exceed this performance in a shorter barrel with suppressor. My 30-06 has a unthreaded 24" barrel.

I'll run the numbers myself, I just know a lot you LR shooters are already compiling good data out of 20" 7 mm barrels.

amassi

WKR
I'm leaning PRC for the "newness". But I could save money if I just chop a factory 7RM (9.5 twist). If I go PRC it will be a custom barrel (so I'm thinking 1:8).

I'm thinking 400-700 yards on elk, 1,000 yards on target. My 30-06 shoots 178 ELD-X at 2760 MV. Honestly that's great performance and a very good 400 yard hunting rifle. But I'd like to match or exceed this performance in a shorter barrel with suppressor. My 30-06 has a unthreaded 24" barrel.

I'll run the numbers myself, I just know a lot you LR shooters are already compiling good data out of 20" 7 mm barrels.

Unless you want or already have a magnum bolt face
A short suppressed 7mm elk cartridge can be had in the 284 Winchester, 284 shehane and 7-08 ai they’ll stay terminal to 700 easily with the 162 class bullets and potentially with the 175-180

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
dreamingWest
7 SAUM was my plan for a really long time. Judging by recent Hornady releases, it seems 7 PRC will get much more support moving forward.

Weldor

WKR
What about the 280? I have been chasing information this fall for a possible winter build. 18-20 for suppressor.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What about the 280? I have been chasing information this fall for a possible winter build. 18-20 for suppressor.
Do a 280ai, more velocity and factory ammo and brass is available.

What bullet?
How far?

I load 168 VLD Berger for a buddy and he has killed at 430 and 590 for elk. It is the Savage Ultralight, and has a shortish barrel. I can look for data if you want.

He picked up a second. Nosler M48 in 280ai and he is gonna cut it and thread for suppressor. I keep telling him 20 inches, so I am right with you.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

The 7 prc shooting a 168 to 180 gr will get you more muzzle velocity and higher BC bullet to surpass your 30-06.

It will be a 700-800 yard capable hunting gun, with the right skill and training.

Sorry I don’t have numbers for a short 7mm, but there are days I wish I could cut my carbon fiber barrel down. I am all about shorter now. I leave it long so I have a 1000 yard elk gun for a couple spots that lend themselves to 400-700 yard shots off a ridge in excellent conditions, if wind cooperates. Hard to get in there and hunt this particular spot.

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
How far do you want to shoot?
What twist barrel?

I would shoot the 175 to 180 Hornady ELDx or Berger hunting bullets and go with the 7 PRC because the rifle will come from the factory set up for long heavy bullets. I wouldn’t sweat all the gun rag discussions.

The velocity difference is going to be without consequence and the Rem Mag brings negatives, IMO. I shot a 7 Rem mag and sold it to a good friend who is still shooting it, so if you do get one, you will be able to get it done.

You can shoot the 180 class bullets at 2850+ fps. They will kill stuff plenty dead inside 600 yards. If you load a 160 in a 7mm, IMO you may as well go with the 6.5 PRC and run a 140+ grain bullet.

Velocity and a good bullet is what kills. Don’t get hung up on the 77 gr TMK. The Hornady ELDx and Berger will also perform in other calibers, including the .223.

This is my 7 SS mag shooting a 180 VLD at 3100 fps with a 26” barrel. It went through him and blew a hole in his offside back leg. He tipped over dead just out of the frame. A friend made the 730 yard shot with my proven rifle system and coaching for the shot. Definitely not something I recommend unless the system is proven and the dope is good.

Was that the second shot?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Was that the second shot?
Yup, it was the second shot.

Funny story to remember that makes me laugh, the kid was so excited. He later admitted to buck fever and getting on the trigger to hard. The first one got sent over the back. The buck stood up and the rest is on video.

I say kid, he is in his 20s, friend of the family I have hunted and shot with.

I do handload. But I also like have good factory ammo available.
In that case the 7 prc is your best choice,
I only handload so I'll never own one.
I run a 7-300 wsm improved with an 18" barrel for my suppressed light weight setup, it's good to 900 yards.
My advice is keep it short whatever you go with.

In that case the 7 prc is your best choice,
I only handload so I'll never own one.
I run a 7-300 wsm improved with an 18" barrel for my suppressed light weight setup, it's good to 900 yards.
My advice is keep it short whatever you go with.
What load did you settle on with that thing?

HuntnPack

WKR
7 SAUM. Will work well. Brass is Not hard to find.
It's an over achiever, well designed case, no improvements needed, easy to load for,
easy to shoot. accurate, long barrel life, versatile,
& something you can shoot ALOT.