Shooting tripods

I got my test head from Amazon. I think it can work. I have to figure out the bolts to mount to the tripod head. Going to ACE this morning. That's gonna be the trick, mounting the ball stem to the tripod.
I've been looking at that and maybe with some sort of adapter that would screw onto the stud sticking out of the tripod and let the ball head stem screw in from the topside. Would be easiest if both were 3/8-16 or both 1/4-20.

I run a Sirui carbon tripod with their ball head.
I took their clamp base and mounted a small picatiny clamp to it.(drilled and tapped)
Then on the rifles I either install a short 2 or 3 inch pic rail section, or I install sling swivel pic rail adapter from Caldwell. Allows me to quickly set up friends and family to use the tripod.
My setup is maybe $200. It’s not as strong as the high dollar dedicated units and the ball head isn’t strong enough to hold the rifle level unless the pic rail is back towards the action.
But it’s light, maybe 2lb, small, and it works great.
I would like to see a picture if you have one.

I can take more detailed pics and better describe the parts this afternoon.
If a guy can drill and tap 2 holes in aluminum and shop the web you can build this setup.

Attachments

• 4B3F0205-B665-4FC3-850E-A04CF9FF61B2.jpeg
    4B3F0205-B665-4FC3-850E-A04CF9FF61B2.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 9534ED6A-7DB9-4CC6-AE71-7DE4CBA33341.jpeg
    9534ED6A-7DB9-4CC6-AE71-7DE4CBA33341.jpeg
    364.1 KB · Views: 58
FYI, RRS has a clamp that takes Picatinny or ARCA, same as on the Anvil.

But, it is simple for that solution.

These are the parts I play with (pic at bottom). I run my spotter, bino’s, and rifle all on the same tripod setup. just have several adapter plates and mount them where I need them.

To make the rifle pic rail adapter I buy a pic rail quick clamp. The one I buy has a section of pic rail screwed on it. I remove this and use the 2 screw holes and drill and tap a tripod adapter plate and mount it to the quick connector.

With this setup it’s just a touch short for standing shots. There are other tripod choices but they tend to be heavier and store as a longer unit. I hardly field shoot standing so it’s not an issue for me.

For rifles with single sling swivel studs I use the Caldwell clamp on rail section. There are other brands that make similar. This is good for friends and family.
For rifles with dual front studs you can mount a permanent rail section. AR’s same deal, just mount a rail section.
You can also convert your Harris bipods, or others, over to clamp on pic rail.
ARACA rail stuff like RRS and others sell is sweet. Especially if shooting PRS where full length rails and being able to slide along the rail is important. But for hunting I just haven’t found that to be necessary and the extra expense for those features is massive.

Attachments

• E7619AF8-D3DD-4A9F-B498-5107A1EC7207.jpeg
    E7619AF8-D3DD-4A9F-B498-5107A1EC7207.jpeg
    235.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 8E22E2C0-D9A4-4BA2-B50F-5E61FF410390.jpeg
    8E22E2C0-D9A4-4BA2-B50F-5E61FF410390.jpeg
    316.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 7CB603E2-7501-4EA5-A08A-7BE1FA73363D.jpeg
    7CB603E2-7501-4EA5-A08A-7BE1FA73363D.jpeg
    227.6 KB · Views: 41
I got my test head from Amazon. I think it can work. I have to figure out the bolts to mount to the tripod head. Going to ACE this morning. That's gonna be the trick, mounting the ball stem to the tripod.
Found a neat lightweight inverted ball head that might make a great glassing head.

Found a neat lightweight inverted ball head that might make a great glassing head.

I found one with same design on Amazon. It is staying on my lightweight tripod. Gonna return the other one.

Operation is just like a mini Anvil 30. It isn't as strong and doesn't lock 100% when the gun is on it, but that is expected. Its a lot of leverage. Once locked though, it is steady for aiming. Might move on recoil if you don't set up well behind it.

With the pan base, it will be great for glassing when I use this tripod.

20210226_190152.jpg

I found one with same design on Amazon. It is staying on my lightweight tripod. Gonna return the other one.

Operation is just like a mini Anvil 30. It isn't as strong and doesn't lock 100% when the gun is on it, but that is expected. Its a lot of leverage. Once locked though, it is steady for aiming. Might move on recoil if you don't set up well behind it.

With the pan base, it will be great for glassing when I use this tripod.

View attachment 268756
Hey yeah that looks better than the one I linked. I had one of their monopods and it was good stuff.PXL_20201122_210523167.jpg

Last edited:
These are the parts I play with (pic at bottom). I run my spotter, bino’s, and rifle all on the same tripod setup. just have several adapter plates and mount them where I need them.

To make the rifle pic rail adapter I buy a pic rail quick clamp. The one I buy has a section of pic rail screwed on it. I remove this and use the 2 screw holes and drill and tap a tripod adapter plate and mount it to the quick connector.

With this setup it’s just a touch short for standing shots. There are other tripod choices but they tend to be heavier and store as a longer unit. I hardly field shoot standing so it’s not an issue for me.

For rifles with single sling swivel studs I use the Caldwell clamp on rail section. There are other brands that make similar. This is good for friends and family.
For rifles with dual front studs you can mount a permanent rail section. AR’s same deal, just mount a rail section.
You can also convert your Harris bipods, or others, over to clamp on pic rail.
ARACA rail stuff like RRS and others sell is sweet. Especially if shooting PRS where full length rails and being able to slide along the rail is important. But for hunting I just haven’t found that to be necessary and the extra expense for those features is massive.
@dieselchessy good post; I like your system. You may have covered this so excuse my question. I’m shopping online to order some components. I see the Caldwell pic rail that mounts on the swivel stud. And I see the the quick Clamp pic-rail riser (you linked) to take apart leaving a “base” the Caldwell can sit in.

Question 1: can I mount the “base” directly to a tripod head to minimize weight? How?

Question 2: is there an adapter you recommend to mount on the bottom of a bino adapter to sit in the “base”.

(if this is getting too far in the weeds for the thread, I’d be happy to chat on the phone if you PM your number).

@dieselchessy good post; I like your system. You may have covered this so excuse my question. I’m shopping online to order some components. I see the Caldwell pic rail that mounts on the swivel stud. And I see the the quick Clamp pic-rail riser (you linked) to take apart leaving a “base” the Caldwell can sit in.

Question 1: can I mount the “base” directly to a tripod head to minimize weight? How?

Question 2: is there an adapter you recommend to mount on the bottom of a bino adapter to sit in the “base”.

(if this is getting too far in the weeds for the thread, I’d be happy to chat on the phone if you PM your number).

I've never tried to mount the Pic rail clamp to the Tripod itself directly. This would only remove the weight of the aluminum Tripod adapter plate, maybe an ounce or two. If you get to that point you'd have cut the foam off the tripod legs, removed the feet from the tripod legs, shaved the knobs on the tripod, ect.....

If you were to mount the clamp to the Tripod directly, then all of your attachments would need a piece of PIC rail as the adapter. The clamp I linked on Amazon has a short section of pic rail that would be removed before you mounted the clamp to the tripod. Just use that short section to mount to your Bino adapter.

I've never tried to mount the Pic rail clamp to the Tripod itself directly. This would only remove the weight of the aluminum Tripod adapter plate, maybe an ounce or two. If you get to that point you'd have cut the foam off the tripod legs, removed the feet from the tripod legs, shaved the knobs on the tripod, ect.....

If you were to mount the clamp to the Tripod directly, then all of your attachments would need a piece of PIC rail as the adapter. The clamp I linked on Amazon has a short section of pic rail that would be removed before you mounted the clamp to the tripod. Just use that short section to mount to your Bino adapter.
@dieselchessy I get the humor, haha. I wouldn’t say it is the weight alone, although that’s the way I represented it. Not having bought anything, not even a “real” tripod, I’m starting from scratch. As I am risking the McGyver look already, I’m seeking simplicity. The idea if adapter stacked upon adapter just hits me wrong I guess. I appreciate your perspective since you have everything in hand. Using the take-off rail piece from the clamp sounds good. It’s already drilled, so I just have to buy a bino mount with enough room to drill matching screw holes. I’m not tapping for bolts. I’ll post pics when I’m done. I haven’t seen anyone with pics the way I visualize it, so maybe I’ll have a new option to offer.

@dieselchessy I get the humor, haha. I wouldn’t say it is the weight alone, although that’s the way I represented it. Not having bought anything, not even a “real” tripod, I’m starting from scratch. As I am risking the McGyver look already, I’m seeking simplicity. The idea if adapter stacked upon adapter just hits me wrong I guess. I appreciate your perspective since you have everything in hand. Using the take-off rail piece from the clamp sounds good. It’s already drilled, so I just have to buy a bino mount with enough room to drill matching screw holes. I’m not tapping for bolts. I’ll post pics when I’m done. I haven’t seen anyone with pics the way I visualize it, so maybe I’ll have a new option to offer.
Tapping holes in aluminum is fairly simple and can be done with a $30 tap kit from the hardware store that would include a handle, a few taps, and drill bits.

I have this one and its very useful for small projects.

I use my tripod for my binos, spotting scope, rifle, and camera. Being that the Bino adapter, spotting scope, and camera all come with the standard (1/4-20?) screw mount, its much easier to use the already made setup for those and only get creative for the rifle mounting.

I have to agree that mounting an ARCA plate to a Pic clamp is an elegant solution for the way you are running the system. Done right, it will look good and be very usable. For $120 or 70 you can get top quality dual clamps.

The alternative is to buy an ARCA/Pic clamp like RRS makes and you have both in one. One of my AR forends have Pic on it right now, so I use the dual clamp on my Anvil 30 to shoot it. Other adapters are also not unknown.

I was rummaging around for a plate the other day and saw that I had a brand new RRS clamp and realized I had the perfect use for it.

Last edited:
Thanks, great thread, tons to think about here.

So my dilemma is...go with
1) a good deal on what seems to be a pretty bomber shooting platform that's about 4 lbs, and pay the weight penalty. (I can get a Leupold Pro Guide cheaply....it looks like its a Leofoto LS-384c). or,

2) do a bunch more research, maybe save a pound, probably pay as much or much more, enjoy the small size and low weight in the field, but have to work harder to shoot.

hmmm. The Leupold/Leufoto kinda looks like the easy button and more fun. Most of the time....

Darn it, I'm going to wind up with 2 tripods.

Thanks for enabling!

Thanks, great thread, tons to think about here.

So my dilemma is...go with
1) a good deal on what seems to be a pretty bomber shooting platform that's about 4 lbs, and pay the weight penalty. (I can get a Leupold Pro Guide cheaply....it looks like its a Leofoto LS-384c). or,

2) do a bunch more research, maybe save a pound, probably pay as much or much more, enjoy the small size and low weight in the field, but have to work harder to shoot.

hmmm. The Leupold/Leufoto kinda looks like the easy button and more fun. Most of the time....

Darn it, I'm going to wind up with 2 tripods.

Thanks for enabling!
I have two tripods, and will end up with more to suit the needs.

I spend MORE money on the bigger tripod, cause that's what it takes to get weight down and stability up. Its a relatively heavy but extremely sturdy tripod.

I spend much less on the smaller tripod, cause I know it is mainly a spotting tripod with the ability to make most of the shots. It is actually a very little and inexpensive tripod. It goes only as high as sitting and is light. I have this one and even cut the center column shorter to save weight and because I don't like the whole length glassing or shooting.

Couple of points I would make.

Leave the bipod at home because the tripod replaces it. That means the new tripod likely replaces a tripod AND bipod of a combined weight of 4 pounds or more, so you break even on load with a better shooting platform.

On the Leofoto, you can leave off the smallest legs if you want to save weight and glass sitting if you are on a really hard hunt and want to save weight. Put a rubber cap or tape something on it, hillbilly, yeah, but that's how I roll.

You can have a lighter head with the heavier bipod and you are still better off for shooting. So, that's an option when ounces count. There is an inverted ball head on Amazon, its a solid choice for a light Anvil 30 replacement. I put it on my little Benro tripod, so both of mine are inverted ballheads, driving the rifle and glass is the same.

Get that really little and light tripod and figure out its limits, and depending on the hunt, you'll find it is all you need.

How far will you shoot? Is it in the wind? Will you be shooting standing because of grass? etc. If your furthest shot is 400 or 500 yards, which frankly is the limits of most shooters and their rifle system, then a super solid tripod isn't necessary if you are sitting or kneeling. Its nicer, but it is a place to compromise.

You might never want to shoot off the tripod. There are hunters who will never go all in on tripod shooting like I do, and they will still kill animals. Are you sure you want to give it a try? If you like shooting and want to be awesome, then get a tripod. If you are a shoot off the backpack sort of guy, maybe it isn't for you.

That said, I think what you are doing is the right way to go about it. The Leofoto is all the tripod that you need to get started. If you find you want more, then upgrade over time. But, there are lots of other things to spend money on if you are like most with a limited budget.

Tapping holes in aluminum is fairly simple and can be done with a $30 tap kit from the hardware store that would include a handle, a few taps, and drill bits.

I have this one and its very useful for small projects.

I use my tripod for my binos, spotting scope, rifle, and camera. Being that the Bino adapter, spotting scope, and camera all come with the standard (1/4-20?) screw mount, its much easier to use the already made setup for those and only get creative for the rifle mounting.
Or I can tap the back of the piece of pic rail 1/4-20 and put a threaded stud in it to attach to the bino adapter base. Thank you for the details. I’ll be ordering this week and post pictures when done.

I have two tripods, and will end up with more to suit the needs.

I spend MORE money on the bigger tripod, cause that's what it takes to get weight down and stability up. Its a relatively heavy but extremely sturdy tripod.

I spend much less on the smaller tripod, cause I know it is mainly a spotting tripod with the ability to make most of the shots. It is actually a very little and inexpensive tripod. It goes only as high as sitting and is light. I have this one and even cut the center column shorter to save weight and because I don't like the whole length glassing or shooting.

Couple of points I would make.

Leave the bipod at home because the tripod replaces it. That means the new tripod likely replaces a tripod AND bipod of a combined weight of 4 pounds or more, so you break even on load with a better shooting platform.

On the Leofoto, you can leave off the smallest legs if you want to save weight and glass sitting if you are on a really hard hunt and want to save weight. Put a rubber cap or tape something on it, hillbilly, yeah, but that's how I roll.

You can have a lighter head with the heavier bipod and you are still better off for shooting. So, that's an option when ounces count. There is an inverted ball head on Amazon, its a solid choice for a light Anvil 30 replacement. I put it on my little Benro tripod, so both of mine are inverted ballheads, driving the rifle and glass is the same.

Get that really little and light tripod and figure out its limits, and depending on the hunt, you'll find it is all you need.

How far will you shoot? Is it in the wind? Will you be shooting standing because of grass? etc. If your furthest shot is 400 or 500 yards, which frankly is the limits of most shooters and their rifle system, then a super solid tripod isn't necessary if you are sitting or kneeling. Its nicer, but it is a place to compromise.

You might never want to shoot off the tripod. There are hunters who will never go all in on tripod shooting like I do, and they will still kill animals. Are you sure you want to give it a try? If you like shooting and want to be awesome, then get a tripod. If you are a shoot off the backpack sort of guy, maybe it isn't for you.

That said, I think what you are doing is the right way to go about it. The Leofoto is all the tripod that you need to get started. If you find you want more, then upgrade over time. But, there are lots of other things to spend money on if you are like most with a limited budget.

Thanks, good info. A tripod would have been really handy to shoot from on several hunts and where I'm typically hunting now (alpine blacktail hunts)
I plan to start using a tripod to improve my glassing with binos.

Thanks for the idea on removing the bottom to save weight. I could see doing that.

Thanks, good info. A tripod would have been really handy to shoot from on several hunts and where I'm typically hunting now (alpine blacktail hunts)
I plan to start using a tripod to improve my glassing with binos.

Thanks for the idea on removing the bottom to save weight. I could see doing that.

Handy like this? I think you understand this sort of terrain better than me...

This was a less stable than what you are getting.

Having just shot the NRL Hunter match mostly off of bipod or top of pack, I learned that tripod shooting is vastly superior for stability in most field positions. This thread has been extremely helpful in giving me new ideas in how to spend more money.

Last edited:
Back