Shooting stick/trekking pole

Johnksully

Lil-Rokslider
What's the best option for a trekking pole shooting stick? I'm taking my son on his first rifle hunt and I'd like to have a something that's light and easy to carry. And fast to set up.

The trigger sticks are quick. They make a single, bipod, and tripod.

The tripod is super fast to use.

I have moved to stuff that actually attaches to the rifle. Spartan and Arca.

I've been using a Vanguard B62 shooting stix the last 3 years, and its working out very well. I adjust them to standing shooting height when starting a stalk. If I have time to set up a more stable shot, I'll always shoot off my pack first, if possible. If vegetation is too tall for that, I'll use the stix and adjust them for proper sitting height.

For use as a walking stick, I velcro the legs together for more stability. When not needed, they pack down nice and small, and ride on the side of my pack in the bottle pocket.

And, they're cheap.

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
I picked one of these up when they were on sale a few weeks ago. Installed it on my Cascade carbon stick. Very stable and really easy to deploy.

TheGDog

WKR
No problem. $20 bucks. Cabelas Kwik Stix.

Super light. Shock-corded, easy to deploy. I've used these extensively to shoot Ground Squirrels. Even out to 104yds.

No problem. $20 bucks. Cabelas Kwik Stix.

Super light. Shock-corded, easy to deploy. I've used these extensively to shoot Ground Squirrels. Even out to 104yds.

I looked at those, back when I bought the Vanguard B62, but it only extends to 41". Wouldn't work for me if I needed to take a standing shot.

TheGDog

WKR
I looked at those, back when I bought the Vanguard B62, but it only extends to 41". Wouldn't work for me if I needed to take a standing shot.
Yes, not for standing shot. Nor should you be taking a standing shot if at all possible. To do a standing shot you're pretty much locked into heavier options. The Primos Tall Trigger Stick that's a mono is not bad. Although I've begun using it for wading out into the muck at Wister, so I wan't fall, have a 3rd point of contact in that mud. Which pretty much ruins using it for anything else.

The Kwik Stix are a total no-brainer. Don't weigh anything. Deploy fast. You can do Kneeling shots. Can be a lil tricky setting up on uber soft soils with lotta dead leaf matter in it. But those cases you just move it around a bit til you find a spot on the soil is more firm, or for example there are roots from grasses or the tree you're backed up near. Or you can set a glove underneath a side that's being problematic for you and there you go.

Yes, not for standing shot. Nor should you be taking a standing shot if at all possible. To do a standing shot you're pretty much locked into heavier options. The Primos Tall Trigger Stick that's a mono is not bad. Although I've begun using it for wading out into the muck at Wister, so I wan't fall, have a 3rd point of contact in that mud. Which pretty much ruins using it for anything else.

The Kwik Stix are a total no-brainer. Don't weigh anything. Deploy fast. You can do Kneeling shots. Can be a lil tricky setting up on uber soft soils with lotta dead leaf matter in it. But those cases you just move it around a bit til you find a spot on the soil is more firm, or for example there are roots from grasses or the tree you're backed up near. Or you can set a glove underneath a side that's being problematic for you and there you go.
Because I'm a NE stillhunter, probably, 95% of my shot opportunities are standing. I don't carry stix then, because range is typically 70 yds or less, plus there's simply no time to set up. If I happen to have a sapling or tree limb handy, I'll use that as a rest.

On my last 4 western hunts, the sage and griese wood were so tall, a standing shot was the only option...and I needed the full 62" that my stix provided. No way, 41" would have cut it.

I find standing shots a lot more natural, and more comfortable, than a kneeling shot. Of course, that's what's been given to me in the way of opportunity my whole life, so they're second nature to me by now.

Last edited:
But way less stable and accurate, than shot properly from kneeling stix..... Give me stability and accuracy, over natural comfort, any ol'

Personal preference. I find standing shots on stix more stable, accurate and comfortable than kneeling on stix. You feel the opposite. I can live with that.

Plus, as previously stated, where I hunt in the Great Basin area of Wyoming, a prone, sitting or kneeling shot doesn't get me above vegetation.

bluumoon

WKR
My Quick-Stix squeak something terrible, unless a game animal thinks it's a call everything within a couple hundred yards is going to vacate the area. Tried silicone and graphite lubricants, no luck. Anyone else have this issue?

TheGDog

WKR
No sound whatsoever from the Kiwk Stix. Essentially they're just shock-corded tent-poles with a pivot at the yoke "V"

My Quick-Stix squeak something terrible, unless a game animal thinks it's a call everything within a couple hundred yards is going to vacate the area. Tried silicone and graphite lubricants, no luck. Anyone else have this issue?
Mine squeaked. I got a wet rag and whiped both sides down to remove any dust, and the squeak went away.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRealGerman