Shooting Gloves

JStol5

WKR
Hi all,

For those who shoot handheld releases with gloves, what do you use? Getting cold here and looking for a pair of low profile gloves to shoot with… I use a thumb release. Looking thinner merino gloves, and suggestions welcome. Thank you.

I've tried to shoot a handheld with a hinge in sub freezing weather with a thin merino glove (firstlite full finger lightweight glove), and I was just not a fan. But it's likely due to me just not having enough practice with the thin glove on so it never felt comfortable to me (slippery and never felt right or consistent feeling in the fingers).

Since I practice throughout the year without a glove, I've found the best system for me in the cold with a handheld is throw a hand warmer in the hole of the release so it keeps the release nice and warm and in a quick access pocket or in a pair of leather chopper mittens that I also use during the cold.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
I've tried to shoot a handheld with a hinge in sub freezing weather with a thin merino glove (firstlite full finger lightweight glove), and I was just not a fan. But it's likely due to me just not having enough practice with the thin glove on so it never felt comfortable to me (slippery and never felt right or consistent feeling in the fingers).

Since I practice throughout the year without a glove, I've found the best system for me in the cold with a handheld is throw a hand warmer in the hole of the release so it keeps the release nice and warm and in a quick access pocket or in a pair of leather chopper mittens that I also use during the cold.
I feel like such a p*ssy complaining about cold hands in California in November 🤣 after reading your comment

Agreed with this. I just cant wear a glove on my release hand - and definitely not one thick enough to make a difference in cold weather. The new marsupial hand muff is pretty impressive. I used it a few times this weekend in the low 30s and my hands stayed warm with just the muff, didnt even need to crack open hot hands or a warmer. Keep your release and hands in the muff until go time.

If its gets colder, use hot hands or a zippo 6 or 12 hour refillable hand warmer/zippo 9S heatbank with the muff.

I wear the talus merino wool fingerless gloves from firstlite. https://www.firstlite.com/products/...talus-fingerless-merino-glove_color=dry-earth

I also have a battery powered handwarmer to keep my fingers warm. The combo works out nicely for me. The merino gloves don’t really feel like they alter my grip or feel on my hand held release. I shot a turkey at 20 yards last week wearing them. They are actually pretty dang warm and since they come right to my middle knuckle on all my digits I don’t feel any loss of dexterity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monte312

FNG
I'll use a hand warmer packet or just remove my hand from glove when the approach is taking place...although somewhat cold, the adrenaline over comes any discomfort.

born2kill

FNG
I’ve fought that battle and settled on Sitka Stratus gloves. They provide decent warmth and have fingerless trigger and thumb. Just wish they had gortex like the test of the Stratus line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear a thin pair of gloves with the thumb cut off the glove on my release hand. I keep my hands in a muff until I pick up my bow. Sometimes I wear a heavier glove on the hand gripping the bow. This has been productive in frigid temps. Practicing with this setup is something I've found important too.

I keep my release in a pocket, usually with my hands. Keeps the metal warm. I don't bowhunt single digits, but I'll pull a glove off if wearing them and just hold my release. If it's warm, it ain't going to cool that fast.