Shipping long gun private party to FFL.. where did I go wrong?

I sold a long gun and shipped it to an FFL myself, following all of the protocols to the best of my knowledge. In pirate ship, I checked hazmat as it states for firearms, added signature confirmation, and insured the package.

I then took it to the post office near my work and dropped it off on lunch. There was a LONG line and only one employee. She asked me if I already had a label printed, and I said yes. She instructed me to leave the package on the drop off area with all of the other packages. (A fairly large pile.)

I did so, and have been checking tracking since, and the package has not been scanned. The buyer isn’t happy with me, though I feel like I followed the book.

Am I overthinking this? Where did I screw up? Help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
allstajacket
Have you asked the post office wtf?

They did not answer their phone. Then I called the main USPS hotline and opened an inquiry regarding the package scan.

I plan on driving back up to that post office tomorrow to ask as well, just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences. What started as a great transaction with the buyer now has began to deteriorate and I’m bummed.

Did you get a receipt with tracking?
If not who knows what happened with your package. They could have opened up the box, took your gun and thrown your label away.
Never just leave a package and trust the post office they will scan it and make sure it's shipped. Always get a receipt

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
allstajacket
If not who knows what happened with your package. They could have opened up the box, took your gun and thrown your label away.
Never just leave a package and trust the post office they will scan it and make sure it's shipped. Always get a receipt

I’ll go up there tomorrow, they have cameras all over the lobby.. luckily it’s insured.

Lesson learned about the receipt, I literally just did what the employee told me to do.

OP
allstajacket

Well this has me terrified.

OP
allstajacket
You might be ok.
It will be a sleepless night for you.
I would be there when they open at 8am if the package hasnt updated by the time to head that way.
IMO tell the buyer to chill his tits. He isnt helping. Sometimes it take a day for tracking to update.

Thanks. I’ll be there right when they open. What a headache.

BjornF16

WKR
I’ve resorted to mailing any long gun from USPS directly. Not sure why you’d need to use Pirate Ship. Just declare it as long gun. I then immediately scan the USPS provided tracking number and send to buyer and receiving FFL.

I’ll go up there tomorrow, they have cameras all over the lobby.. luckily it’s insured.

Lesson learned about the receipt, I literally just did what the employee told me to do.

Insured through USPS?

Technically it's not insured if you don't have a receipt proving it is in USPS possession.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

rodney482

WKR
You might be ok.
It will be a sleepless night for you.
I would be there when they open at 8am if the package hasnt updated by the time to head that way.
IMO tell the buyer to chill his tits. He isnt helping. Sometimes it take a day for tracking to update.
My tits are pretty chill. However, I will also add the seller received my $1100 6 days ago. Struggled to find a box even though he knew money was sent on 25th.

Finally ships but gets no receipt and leaves it in a pile and tracking shows “not dropped off”

With that being said, I think the OP is a good guy but got a bit sloppy. He has offered to return my money orders if the rifle doesnt show up (which is fine)

Im just baffled how usps insurance works. I mailed an archery release that got lost by them in the mail. They denied my claim and made a big fuss about what was mailed and proving it's value with a printed out PayPal invoice. I had a screenshot that I thought was clear but it wasn't enough. Did a second appeal and hopefully I finally get my money back (already refunded buyer) but what do you do if it was friends and family or they sent you a money order? What if I was just sending to my friend? Makes me a lot more lerry of sendng high value optics or firearms now, even if fully insured and sig required

Well its not haz mat, and you are not certified to ship haz mat so this is probably gonna be a major issue.

That being said when I drop things in the box at the bigger usps in my area the lazy asses never scan it.
Usually it gets scanned on delivery and the 1st we know of it, its already there.

Usps is a government agency, I think people forget that.
Never trust the government.

OP
allstajacket
I think you're making this more of a headache than it needs to be. Freak out at the 48-hour mark, not the 4-hour mark. I second telling you're buyer to keep his shirt on.

I completely understand his frustration. It took nearly a week to get the rifle shipped, and now this happens. Hoping tracking updates tomorrow, but will also go up there first thing. After calling the PO multiple times today I see this particular office has very bad reviews regarding speed and efficiency. It is in a very nice area so I don’t think theft should be an issue. That being said, there will be clear video of my walking up to the clerk, talking to her, and leaving the package where she shows me to.

Lots of good info here, including just taking the rifle to usps and shipping it through them rather than a label at home. Ive shipped many firearms from the gun shop I managed, however this is my first time doing it personally. Tried to follow the book, but I went wrong by not insisting I get a drop-off receipt.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
My tits are pretty chill. However, I will also add the seller received my $1100 6 days ago. Struggled to find a box even though he knew money was sent on 25th.

Finally ships but gets no receipt and leaves it in a pile and tracking shows “not dropped off”

With that being said, I think the OP is a good guy but got a bit sloppy. He has offered to return my money orders if the rifle doesnt show up (which is fine)

Shit 6 days...........
I dont even list an item until its packaged and ready to go.
I strive for 6 hours to scanned in shippers possesion.