Shipping elk meat from Idaho to NY

Has anyone used ups or fed ex to ship elk meat home after a trip ? Not flying straight home after the hunt and if successful I need a way to get the meat home . I have hunted out west before and always just brought the coolers on the plane .

Its very expensive. I would suggest making a large amount of jerky and snack sticks there which can be shipping via regular mail. I froze the choice cuts and took them in my carry on and they made it back to NY mostly frozen.

Wapiti1

WKR
You should find a processor out there and see what they do. If they can ship it refrigerated LTL truck, that will likely be cheaper. You would pick it up at the nearest terminal to you in NY. FedEx and UPS will want to do 2 day shipping which ups the cost tremendously.

That said, it will still be expensive.

Jeremy

Fullfan

WKR
When and where are you hunting in Idaho ? We are driving from Pa to Idaho from 9/9-9/30. Take a 26' enclosed trailer with two freezers. Might be able to help you out.

OP
HuntingAddict
Pioneer area . Where in PA are you . ? I live near Milford PA . I will be out there 9/14- 9/22. Have to go to work in Cali after, that's why I have this dilemma .

Call Custom Butcher and Smokehouse in Boise. They processed and shipped my Mountain Goat for a very reasonable price. It showed up well packaged in insulated boxes and frozen solid.

Call Custom Butcher and Smokehouse in Boise. They processed and shipped my Mountain Goat for a very reasonable price. It showed up well packaged in insulated boxes and frozen solid.

For what it’s worth, I really didn’t like Custom processing my meat. I didn’t have to ship it and it was just one bad experience so take it with a grain of salt. I process my own animals now.

OP
HuntingAddict
I’m the same way . My family is all butchers , so I’ve been cutting meat since I’m 8 years old . We used to cut 400 deer a season back east . A lot of times on my trips the local butchers let me use there shops .

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I've done this twice and have had bad experiences both times. One was a WI whitetail shipping to my place in LA and the other was a CO elk going to Chicago. It is expensive ($600-900) but for the me the value lost is in being able to butcher your own animals. The butcher turned 90% of my whitetail into bratwurst (not what I wanted but that's another story) which arrived only partial frozen. Unbeknownst to me, when I put into my freezer a bunch of the packaging cracked open (presumable from thawing out then refreezing) and spoiled about half the shipment. The CO elk arrived frozen solid but only 85lbs of total meat which about half was hamburger. No backstraps or tenderloins, I brought in at very least 150lbs of elk. Very suspicious. Anyways, now I drive to all my hunts so I can bring my meat home in coolers. I learned the hard way. I get that may not be a possibility if you're coming all the way from NY but something to think about.

I’m the same way . My family is all butchers , so I’ve been cutting meat since I’m 8 years old . We used to cut 400 deer a season back east . A lot of times on my trips the local butchers let me use there shops .
I know their are a lot of good game butcher videos on youtube but you shoud do a video and post it up with that experience

Have you looked into returning to the same airport on your way home? Wonder if you could pay someone to process the meat, freeze it, and just pick up the coolers at the airport to check in on your way back to NY. Too many horror stories about expensive prices and ruined meat for me to do the UPS/FedEx deal(we drive from MA)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peekamoose1

Lil-Rokslider
Hey.....FreightQuote.com ....I live in NY as well my Best friend lives in Bozeman usually someone drives out and brings my meat back. Last year shipped 2 Bulls a Cow and a Mule deer in a refrigerated truck using these guys and it was 4 Coolers 2 Rtic 145’s (1) 110 and a 65 quart and it cost me $650.00

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk