Shenandoah Vacation

Hey guys, the wife has a thing in Shenandoah and I thought I'd tag along with the kids and check out the area. Anyone got any recommendations for places to see while there? Quick look on the website show old rag is popular. Anyone here done it and thought it was a good hike? Any other areas you'd recommend?

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
Old rag is nice but always crowded. They went to a day use permit format and now only allow a certain number of people a day. There are lots of hikes in Shenandoah national park and lots of Appalachian Trail there also to hike also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ShortMountain91
Old rag is nice but always crowded. They went to a day use permit format and now only allow a certain number of people a day. There are lots of hikes in Shenandoah national park and lots of Appalachian Trail there also to hike also.

Have you hiked it since the permit change? If so did it help with the crowd?

Riff

FNG
Old Rag is nice, but as noted got really popular and uses a day permit that runs out quickly on nice days. My kids like running around in Big Meadows, easy grade and tons for them to explore plus a visitors center is right there as well as access to the AT and a hike to Dark Hollows falls.

ODB

WKR
Sky Meadows is near my old hometown of Delaplane. Used to go all the time as kids.

OP
ShortMountain91
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'll probably pull the old rag permit a few days before and take the kids to Big Meadows

I've only seen Old Rag crowded on weekends and holidays..

That being said, there are A LOT of other hikes in the same area that are sometimes NEVER have anyone on them