Shelter System for the Frank Church Wilderness

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
I've been running an Outdoor Research Advanced Bivy for the past two or three years in Central Idaho and am thinking about ditching the bivy for a lighter more spacious shelter. The bivy has performed flawlessly, but weighs just over 2 LBS and gives no space to sit-up in. There are many tarp shelter options available at under 2 LBS now. So why would I stay cramped up in that bivy if I don't have to.

After stepping into the Frank Church Wilderness for the first time earlier in September introduced me to the most challenging mountains I may ever have the pleasure to hunt. I have a lot of land to explore in search of big bucks, bulls, and rams. I need to refine my gear list to fit my hunt, specifically for hunting the Frank Church Wilderness from mid to late October. Yes, i did say late October. Mainly for cooler weather incase I happen to have I big bull elk to pack out and this past September had some hot weather up in the Frank Church.

Now that you know when and where I'm hunting and what I currently use, what would you recommend. Should I stick with the bivy or switch to a tarp shelter.

Also, I'll add that I've been eyeing the Seek Outside Lil Bug Out Base with 3-piece Vestible, titanium stakes, and trekking pole extension. The total combination came out to 30 oz or so, which is less than my bivy sac (I don't include the weight of my trekking poles since I'm carrying them regardless).

Please feel free to chime in and tell me what you think or recommend, even if you tell me to stick with the bivy sac.

Thank You,

Ironman8

WKR
Not to dodge the question, but I think you're going to get alot of responses from guys who are going to just recommend what they already have and use. You just gotta do some research and go with what fits your style and budget best. I personally would take a tarp/tent over a bivy for roughly the same weight any day of the week.

If you have a need/want for modularity, then the LBO would be a good choice. I did, and now I have a LBO :)
If you don't, take a look at the new Seek Outside BT-2. It's new, so I don't know if may will know much about it, but looks to be a pretty good solo option.
Kifaru is also another great brand to look at with plenty of options.

OP
Outdoorsman3830

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the input. I hope to get some good responses regarding the LBO as well as open my eyes to other great options. I do like the looks of the Kifaru Tarps, but I like the LBO's options/modularity better.

Ben

WKR
I have a 6x9 jimmy tarp and ti goat bivy. Together they are 13oz. I really felt the difference in my pack weight. Couldn't be happier.

Love the tarp setup, search for 'jimmy tarp' on eBay. He also sells a few shaped tarp shelters as well. However, you have more pitching options with a flat tarp. As for the Bivy - check out borah gear.

I used this setup on a September alpine hunt and got all kinds of weather. I plan on using it all year.

for me, my research landed me on the sl-5 from golite a few years back. it was a nice shelter. space to weight was great. did well in poor weather. 2 people and gear no problem, but light enough that you could still take it solo.
after running it, there were a few small, nagging things about it and i started looking at the LBO. it pretty much took all the good qualities of the sl-5 and fixed all my complaints about it. so far im very happy with it. the modularity wasnt originally even a selling point for me, but it has come to be very appreciated.

LaGriz

WKR
I would recomed a LBO and a small stove for you late hunts in the FCW. You could use the base only with a piece of tyvek solo in the early season. Justify the stove (like my large WiFi from Ti-goat) for cooking, and to dry out gear in the LBO w/3-piece vestibule. If you have a partner, then the stove and full shelter is a no brainer.If I lived near by (at my age/health) I would own a couple off lamas or at least have a few friends on speed dial.LOL! That is some rough and awesome country. You must be at the top of your game to consider a solo trip for elk. I have a BCS-2 and w/stove plan on a late season Muley hunt in the near feature.
Good Luck! I will watch for your posts.

OP
Outdoorsman3830

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
I'm definitely set on the LBO, but was still debating on whether I should pick up a stove to go with it. I know the stove would great if the weather took a turn for the worst.

I'm going after both deer and elk, but have to be more conservative with when and where I shoot an elk than a deer. Eventually I hope to draw a sheep tag for the area. The Frank Church is not for everyone and there is nothing easy about the country. I can't wait to get back out there next year and explore more of the massive wilderness.

Rizzy

WKR
If you want to be fast and light, then a tarp or tarp+bivy would be the best option. If you don't want to have to crawl in and out of your shelter then you will want a teepee or BCS2. These are heavy, but more comfortable in wet weather. It's a trade off :)

OP
Outdoorsman3830

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
Rizzy,
The BCS2 looks a bit big for me. I backpack in solo most of the time. My wife is accompanying me on a scouting trip in August, but it looks like I will more than likely be solo in October. The LBO appears to be a more appropriate size for the majority of my trips, but I also have no experience with this type of shelter.

Also, I'm still debating on the wood stove. Should I get a Seek Outside small or medium stove for the LBO and how much space does it take up inside of a pack? My goal is to remain under 5000 cu in, if possible for a 6 day hunt.

I would recomed a LBO and a small stove for you late hunts in the FCW. You could use the base only with a piece of tyvek solo in the early season. Justify the stove (like my large WiFi from Ti-goat) for cooking, and to dry out gear in the LBO w/3-piece vestibule. If you have a partner, then the stove and full shelter is a no brainer.If I lived near by (at my age/health) I would own a couple off lamas or at least have a few friends on speed dial.LOL! That is some rough and awesome country. You must be at the top of your game to consider a solo trip for elk. I have a BCS-2 and w/stove plan on a late season Muley hunt in the near feature.
Good Luck! I will watch for your posts.

I'm actually looking at both the LBO and BCS-2. It would be great to hear your comparison of the two!