Sheep hunting rifle

Elite

WKR
Hey guys so I know this as been asked before but my research has not found some of my answers needed.

I am wondering what a obtainable weight is for lightweight rifle with a scope. Basically ready to hunt with minus the bullets.

My current rifle is a savage 30-06 and is 8.4lbs ready to hunt with no bullets. This has been a great rifle for my needs so far. Moose/elk/deer and can comfortably shoot it out to 400 yards. But I have recently been sheep hunting the last for years and always trying to lighten my pack so that has lead me to a new rifle. I would like a rifle with a removable magazine clip. Currently am looking at some of the smaller calibers 6.5/308/7mm-08 I am worried the recoil would be a lot with a lighter gun. What does everyone recommend for a gun? The ones I have found so far are

Kimber (seems like some guys love them and some not so much?
Barrett field craft
Howa alpine mountain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
You might put Sako Finnlight on your list. Mine is in 300 WSM. I've shot quite a few rams, mtn goats, elk, deer, antelope, bear, ….the list goes on with it. Mine hardly kicks. I believe the weight with scope is around 7 lbs. Super nice for hauling up and down sheep hills.

Mountainman3

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Kimber mountain accent in .280AI. It’s better than a decent shooter and shoots well for the low profile barrel. I have not officially weighed my set up but I have a leupold VXR 44 MM on it with light weight Talley rings. I’d guess 6.5#. The lighter gun does kick but I don’t know anyone that’s ever noticed recoil when shooting at game. Practice proper form on the bench and in field positions will give you confidence in pulling the trigger.

Any of the calibers you list will do fine. I like the 280AI as you get almost 7 mag performance in a less recoiling round.

A friend has the Barret field craft and it’s a more accurate rifle than mine.

mt100gr.

WKR
Just depends how light you want to go. There's tradeoffs for everything you gain in weight savings. If I was going sheep hunting tomorrow, this Kimber 6.5 would not be going. 20191020_125838.jpg

It shoots fine but I have a lot more confidence from impromptu field positions with something in the 7-7.5 pound range. Cartridge-wise I think you're on the right track.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a kimber that weighs about 6.5lbs with a nightforce shv 3-10. I also have a tikka with an SWFA 3-9 that is under 7.5lbs. either one works.

BjornF16

WKR
I have Barrett FieldCraft Special Edition (22" threaded) in 6.5CM. FCs have a blind box magazine.

With Talley Ultralight rings, Z5 scope, Harris bipod, and Omega 300 can, it weighs right at 8.0 lbs. Replace the Harris with an ultralight bipod and it should come in at 7.5 lbs.

How much are you wanting to spend to shave up to 1.5 pounds of rifle weight? How much weight in other areas can you cut for the same cost?

I have a Savage Lightweight Hunter (stainless) in 308 Win topped with a Vortex Razor LH (3-15). Loaded it is right at 7 pounds. My biggest gripe is a sloppy bolt; however, that has never caused an issue take a shot.

I love my Tikkas but their twist rates are slower than standard except for their 6.5s. Mine are all shooters and great to carry.

Of the calibers you listed, I'd go with either a 6.5 (choose your variant) or the 7-08. If large predators are in the area, I'd consider Mountain Man's advice on the 280 AI.

teamr2

FNG
Have Kimber 308’s in the Adirondack and Mountain Ascent versions. Incredibly accurate little rifles. Weigh nothing and the recoil, even at the bench, in negligible. With the longer barrel, the MA has a higher MV but the Adirondack is so handy even with a suppressor. I think one of the big reasons people have a bad experience with and of the light Kimber rifles is they don’t know how to shoot a light rifle. I have to exert downward pressure on the scope to extract the best accuracy. Allowing the rifle to “free recoil” will result in subpar results.

MThuntr

WKR
FWIW Howa no longer offers the Alpine Rifle though you may be able to find them on gunbroker.

I have a Kimber Hunter Pro 280AI (cerakote w/ brake) and it's a 0.6 MOA shooter but it has been sent to the factory because they left tooling marks in the chamber near the base of the case shoulder. Not sure of the weight but I use a 3.5-10 VX3i and talley rings.

I've heard the Barrett Fieldcraft production is on hold or reduced until Barrett can fulfill gov contracts so they could be hard to find soon.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Have Kimber 308’s in the Adirondack and Mountain Ascent versions. Incredibly accurate little rifles. Weigh nothing and the recoil, even at the bench, in negligible. With the longer barrel, the MA has a higher MV but the Adirondack is so handy even with a suppressor. I think one of the big reasons people have a bad experience with and of the light Kimber rifles is they don’t know how to shoot a light rifle. I have to exert downward pressure on the scope to extract the best accuracy. Allowing the rifle to “free recoil” will result in subpar results.

I tend to agree, I read all the horror stories of kimbers but I have had absolutely none of those problems and my Kimber gets used quite a bit, I've also never seen any of my friends Kimbers have these problems. I just started working up loads for a new Mountain Ascent 300wsm the other day. I load up the 168g berger hunters for my 308 and they shoot great, 1/2" groups easily.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
FWIW Howa no longer offers the Alpine Rifle though you may be able to find them on gunbroker.

I have a Kimber Hunter Pro 280AI (cerakote w/ brake) and it's a 0.6 MOA shooter but it has been sent to the factory because they left tooling marks in the chamber near the base of the case shoulder. Not sure of the weight but I use a 3.5-10 VX3i and talley rings.

I've heard the Barrett Fieldcraft production is on hold or reduced until Barrett can fulfill gov contracts so they could be hard to find soon.

I found a brand new Howa alpine in 6.5 never been fired. So I am curious how they compare to a kimber. I can find much on them and they didn’t make them for to long?

Look at the Sako 85 Black Bear, light but not to light to control. I have 2 one in 308 and one in 3006. Both are light weight, submoa accurate, and they just fit so well - much like a balanced over and under shotgun. They are the rifles I reach for when it is time to get serious. Watch out for rifles that are to light, they are difficult to shoot in windy mountain conditions.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Look at the Sako 85 Black Bear, light but not to light to control. I have 2 one in 308 and one in 3006. Both are light weight, submoa accurate, and they just fit so well - much like a balanced over and under shotgun. They are the rifles I reach for when it is time to get serious. Watch out for rifles that are to light, they are difficult to shoot in windy mountain conditions.

id love to get a black bear at some point.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've never been or will ever get go sheep hunting, so I'm jealous. My Remington Model Seven SS 7-08 all dolled up and ready to go sits at 7lbs 2oz and is right in my sweet spot. I'll be bringing it with me on my next Western hunt.

I haven’t been sheep hunting yet but will make it happen one day! I think the tikka rifles are a tough to beat for a lighter weight option. My 7-08 with leupold vx3i 4.5-14 will probably go with me when I do go on a sheep hunt. It’s right at 7.5 pounds empty which for me is about perfect. 8444BB0C-911B-44E8-BAE9-3D1ADEB9BF1F.jpeg

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Any body have feed back on the howa alpine?

This is a boring but very practical answer .... jump on the scale ..... if you can potentially lose a little body fat .... let's say .... 5 pounds ..... keep your accurate... trusted in the moment rifle and be lighter on the mountain.... but heavier in the wallet

On a different note ..... I.ve read this site for years looking for advice .... really glad I joined up the other day !!!

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
This is a boring but very practical answer .... jump on the scale ..... if you can potentially lose a little body fat .... let's say .... 5 pounds ..... keep your accurate... trusted in the moment rifle and be lighter on the mountain.... but heavier in the wallet

Losing weight of your body vs carrying it on your back is two different things. You carry weight a lot better on your body vs weight hanging off your back. I am 5’10” and weigh in currently at 160lbs. Not to overweight.

Last edited: