Sheep hunting partner etiquette

Just curious what the majority of sheep hunting partners do when it comes to deciding who shoots first. I'm gonna guess most do what they do for other species of, who spots the first legal ram gets first crack? Or is it whoever spots the band, if there is more then just the lone ram gets first crack? Then let's say you and your partner dont double up, does the guy who didn't get a ram the previous year automatically get first crack the following year? Or do you go back to who ever spots it gets first crack? Sheep hunting is much different because of energy and rare legality. Dont want to burn bridges with a good hunting partner. Just curious what most do.

It’s never been a big deal. Generally we have taken turns. Last year I had first pick because my partner had gotten a goat on our previous hunt (and he's a nice guy). This year I’m packing for a first timer, because I had good luck last season.

Exception might be if a guy invites you to hunt his known “honey hole”. Then I’d typically give him first right of refusal.

The “he who spots it first” might sometimes apply to moose, caribou, or deer, but for sheep and goat we have typically decided ahead of time.

Last edited:

Stid2677

WKR
It’s never been a big deal. Generally we have taken turns. Last year I had first pick because my partner had gotten a goat on our previous hunt (and he's a nice guy). This year I’m packing for a first timer, because I had good luck last season.

Exception might be if a guy invites you to hunt his known “honey hole”. Then I’d typically give him first right of refusal.

The “he who spots it first” might sometimes apply to moose, caribou, or deer, but for sheep and goat we have typically decided ahead of time.

Pretty much do the same as YK,, the key being it is discussed and agreed upon "BEFORE" the hunt. Have seen hurt feelings, so clear concise agreement never hurts.

OP
NorthernAK
Thanks for the input guys. With this being our first sheep hunt together I think we are gonna roll with who "spots it first" approach, followed by taking turns.

Given the long distances involved in glassing sheep, "spotting it first" might be tougher than you think. Sometimes it takes a while to figure out if it's even a ram, much less legal. And it's hard to keep track of all those guys when they are wandering through the rocks. Was that the same one you were looking at earlier?

I'd lean towards some version of the coin toss, but it's up to you. Statistically, the odds of either of you scoring on the first hunt aren't great.... so let him have the first dibs this year and take first dibs next year for yourself!

OP
NorthernAK
Given the long distances involved in glassing sheep, "spotting it first" might be tougher than you think. Sometimes it takes a while to figure out if it's even a ram, much less legal. And it's hard to keep track of all those guys when they are wandering through the rocks. Was that the same one you were looking at earlier?

I'd lean towards some version of the coin toss, but it's up to you. Statistically, the odds of either of you scoring on the first hunt aren't great.... so let him have the first dibs this year and take first dibs next year for yourself!

Very true with multiple rams meandering about. I could see an argument happen with each person saying they saw it first haha.

buzzy

WKR
Flip a coin on who shoots first on day 1 of the hunt. Then on day 2 the other person gets first shot and alternate every other day. If the person declines to shoot hoping for a bigger ram the obviously the other person can fire when ready.

Snyd

WKR
We have always decided before the hunt who's "first up". Then alternate the next year. This year it's a no brainer since my partner drew DCUA. Our strategy this year was I put in all my chances for TMA, he did the same for DCUA. If one if us drew then cool! He did!

Snyd

WKR
Sheep Hunting is about so much more than being the one that pulls the trigger. I suppose it's different if it's a once in a lifetime guided hunt. But for DIY partners it's different.

I've only been on 12 or 13 sheep hunts, packed and ate 10 rams I think, lowered the boom on 3 and polished off a wounded one. All the others I was next to my partner when he pulled the trigger. Don't let the kill shot be your driving force! If your obsessed with having to be the one that pulls the trigger then you've set yourself up for a let down if it doesn't happen.

If you have a partner that is obsessed with having to shoot HIS Ram rather than you guys teaming up and getting a ram then I say it's time to find a new partner.

Figure out who's first up to pull the trigger and go find a ram! Enjoy the hunt! That's what it's all about.

leoni1

FNG
Sheep Hunting is about so much more than being the one that pulls the trigger. I suppose it's different if it's a once in a lifetime guided hunt. But for DIY partners it's different.

I've only been on 12 or 13 sheep hunts, packed and ate 10 rams I think, lowered the boom on 3 and polished off a wounded one. All the others I was next to my partner when he pulled the trigger. Don't let the kill shot be your driving force! If your obsessed with having to be the one that pulls the trigger then you've set yourself up for a let down if it doesn't happen.

If you have a partner that is obsessed with having to shoot HIS Ram rather than you guys teaming up and getting a ram then I say it's time to find a new partner.

Figure out who's first up to pull the trigger and go find a ram! Enjoy the hunt! That's what it's all about.

X2

Best description I have seen. Attitude is so important here: Teamwork makes (or breaks) the hunt in every way. I had been a part of 5 successful DIY Alberta bighorn ram hunts before I finally pulled the trigger on a rammy last fall.

Having been on both sides, I have found that being the one to make the kill shot amounts to 5% of the overall experience, at best. In fact, the hunt in which my twin brother took his first ram still rates as the best hunting experience of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
NorthernAK

I agree with you. With seeing the success rate for first time sheep hunters I'm honestly just happy I'm getting to experience this adventure. If either one of us gets a sheep it will be cherry on top. Thankfully we have been hunting moose and caribou for years so we are use to each others shit haha

ColeyG

WKR
Another vote for the conversation and deciding before the hunt.

If you can't decide or default to your partner, I'd wager you are going to have a difficult hunt and relationship. The best and most successful partnerships are formed between two selfless people who care as much (if not more) about seeing their good friend bring a ram home as they do killing one themselves.

I've addressed "first shooter" few different ways with a few different partners. If all other factors are equal, the take turns on the trip method has served me well. Partner is the shooter on day 1, me on day 2, partner on day 3 etc. as was described above.

One of the last things I'd think anyone would want on a sheep hunt, or any hunt that matter, is any sort of competition or friction between you and your partner. Close cooperation and teamwork is essential to not only stay safe and kill something, but to enjoy yourselves and the incredible experiences that mountain hunting can offer.

Last year my partner and I doubled up. In my mind, I got to be first shooter last year so my partner should take it this year. In his mind he got to shoot the last ram so it should be my turn again. I hope to win out in convincing him to take it but then again, even though he shot second last year, his ram was much, much nicer than mine... Good problems to have with a good partner.

Seems like more and more we are trying to talk the other into shooting first...

That's because you know about the bigger ram around the corner. haha. Next time I won't fall for that!

With seeing the success rate for first time sheep hunters I'm honestly just happy I'm getting to experience this adventure. If either one of us gets a sheep it will be cherry on top.

This is no joke. Success rates for first timers run less than 1 in 5. You might well pull it off, but a fair chance it's just a learning experience. Could always flip a coin when you see an actual legal ram.