Sheep Hunt Optics - Archery Hunt

GPATTI

WKR
Guys,
I am new to this forum. I have an archery sheep hunt booked with Nahanni Butte for 2017. I have a pair of 8X30 Swarovski's and just purchased a Vortex tripod. My question is....should I:

a) buy a set of higher magnification bino's? If so, 10X42 or 12X42?

OR

b) buy a spotting scope?

OR

c) neither.....just go with my current bino's and rely on the guide

Thanks...I am torn and would love to get your input.

wyosteve

WKR
Go with your current bino's and rely on the guide for the spotting scope. Most likely the sheep will be located first with the spotter and you'll only use your binocs once you close the distance, in which case 8x30's are sufficient. Just my .02, albeit with 6 sheep hunts under my belt.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
If you have money to burn, buy the 10x42 Swaro Range and you should need a rangefinder. The guide should have a decent spotter to be able to judge the sheep from a distance. Dall's aren't hard to see but someone needs decent (really good is better) glass to make a trip after them.

Sounds like a fun hunt with a great outfit. Good Luck.

kaboku68

WKR
I think that Nahanni Butte is highly rated and its guides will have good spotters. However, if you have discretionary money I would look at a Meopta or a compact Vortex Spotter(65 or 50 Razor) as a possible emergency carry. A swaro ATS 65mm is good for all types of hunting and will make you more effective. It would suck to spend once in a lifetime money and find that your guide only has a second rate spotter gifted to him as a tip. It could be possible that a horse back hunt or bad series of events but a spare at hand is a man with a plan when it comes to spotters.

Sincerely,
Thomas

MattB

WKR
Dalls are generally pretty easy to spot, but I personally have Swarovski 8x30's and 10x42's and will always reach for the 10's.

I personally wouldn't carry a spotter or tripod, as the guide will carry both and any guide worth his salt will have a quality scope. A question about that to the outfitter in advance wouldn't hurt.

PA 5-0

WKR
I would get input from the outfitter about the specifics of what his sheep guide carries. I've heard and seen some horror stories. One I saw with my own eyes was a Swaro ATS65 sitting on one of those 24" tripods you get free with every camera purchase. The legs were bent under the weight of the spotter.

I've chased AK Dalls the last two years and don't know that I would go on that trip without quality binos AND a spotter. You'll live in ur binos for the entire hunt. I have and love my Zeiss Victory T'FL 10x42's. Personally, I wouldn't take a lower power set to skimp on weight.

As far as a spotter, I have a Swaro ATM65. Once in camp, I don't carry it every day. I use it at camp and have it as a back up if something happens to the guide's spotter. We were weathered in for 4 extra days this past August due to the snow and fog(full story coming soon). Imagine if ur guide's spotter was dropped and broken and you had to wait for another one to be flown in. Every thing in the backcountry takes 2 days or more!!! Not worth the chance.

I bought both of these units used, in mint condition and substantially below retail prices.

Best of luck Brother. That should be an epic hunt!! Dan

Last edited:

Yukon

FNG
I would say that the 8x binos would be fine. Especially with swaros you get what you pay for. Light is rarely an issue in NWT for sheep hunting and Dalls are typically not difficult to spot. The bigger field of view wont hurt and although I use 10x I can't see 8x being a problem.

Dalls can be very tricky to age and most outfitters are pretty set on harvesting older rams (10 years plus) so a lot of time can be spent looking through a spotting scope, waiting for that right look.

I would recommend your own on a few conditions
1- you can afford it. I don't believe it is worth it to get a lower end spotting scope as you often use it to look for age or tips or details on rams. Dalls are not as hard to spot as stones or bighorns and I rarely use my spotting scope to locate sheep (exception is in snow or maybe on far off mountains)
2- you are fit enough to carry it around for the hunt. In theory, your guide should have good optics but it would likely be more fun if you have your own optics. I love having two scopes on a ram as you can discuss features and it can be a really good part of the hunt, especially in NWT where you should be seeing lots of rams. It can also be fun if the hunting is slow and never hurts to have two scopes to pick apart terrain.

I don't think it would be necessary but wouldn't hurt if you can afford a decent one and if you are willing and able to carry it. I have guided up in NWT and most guides have good optics but an email to the outfitter wouldn't hurt!

Have fun, that is some special country up there.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
If you had a cheap pair of 8x30 binos then I'd say to get some new 10x binoculars. Your Swaro's will be as good in an 8x30 as cheap binos are in 8x42. The added range of a 10x is nice but not required. If you need to scan the mountains out past what your 8x's will give you then you can utilize the guides spotter. As stated by others, Dall sheep are pretty easy to spot. Glass the more open areas with your binos and use the spotter to double check the shadowed areas.

If you're on horseback and can afford some extra weight, then your own spotter might be nice to have. If you're looking at a couple dozen miles on foot then forget the extra spotter. I've never had more than one spotter on a sheep hunt, as we just can't justify the extra weight.

jherald

WKR
I use bino's to scan and locate, then put the spotter on it to see if it's worth moving in for a closer look. 8X30 is "ok" but I would suggest a 8X42 or 10X42. I prefer a Swaro 10X42 but any of the big name glass will be great glass; Zeiss, Leica, Vortex (Razor HD's).

Do some serious shopping around and you can find deals on quality high end optics. Check Cabela's Bargain Cave if you can visit in store, Ebay, Rokslide Classifieds. I've seen high end optics filter through the bargain cave anywhere from 20% to 35% off.

NMO

FNG
Tripod mounted binos in the 10x42 range will likely be most valuable picking apart mountains for sheep. Once located your guide should have good spotter glass to judge. I would be surprised if any of the guides at Nahanni had cheap glass, but as others have stated it is a worthwhile question to ask the outfitter. I don't have a vast experience but I spent 7 weeks wrangling for a Yukon outfitter this sheep season and that is how we did it.

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider
I think you will be happy with the Swaro 8x30, but I would prefer a 10 power pair of quality glass if given the choice for a sheep hunt in NWT. You should have the opportunity to glass long distances. I would try to confirm with the outfitter who your guide will be and what spotter they plan to carry. You will find sheep guides in the NWT with cheap spotters and cheap (broken) tripods. I've seen it twice. If the guide will carry a spotter you are comfortable with, I would not bring one. Yes, it would be nice to have one yourself, but I don't think the extra weight on your back is worthwhile. Moving light and fast can be very important.