Sheep gear

Ronster

Lil-Rokslider
So, I need to replace a bit of gear this year prior to sheep season and I have settled on Kryptek for the most part. My wife got me a pair of the Cadog pants for Christmas and I need to get a jacket. Was thinking about picking up the Cadog jacket, but the more I think about it Im thinking that I should pick up the Borealis puffy jacket and go with the Poseidon rain jacket. They say the Cadog jacket is semi water resistant, not sure I want to spend 10-12 days on a hike in with a rain resistant jacket though.

What are your guys thoughts? Option 1 with just the Cadog jacket and basic layers underneath, or Option 2 with a puffy jacket and a lightweight rain coat?

Ron

You absolutely want real rain gear. Option 2 is the way to go. Not only would hiking in the rain with a "water resistant" jacket suck, the fact that you would be doing it in insulated jacket at all would double the suck.

For my 2 cents, I handled the Borealis "semi puffy" and it wouldn't be nearly warm enough to suit me. I'm dressed pretty light when moving in the mountains, even in sub-freezing conditions, and use the insulation layer only when I'm stopped and the pack is off. If fact the regular Kryptek Puffy would be a little thin for a August snowstorm unless you run warmer than I do.

Yk

OP
Ronster

Ronster

Lil-Rokslider
Would a Cadog jacket and the Poseidon rain jacket work better? Im trying to keep cost in check as I already had to purchase a pack and several other items this year.

gelton

WKR
I have the Cadog and enjoy it in temps from 20's to 70's with the ventilation. BUT - I would never depend on it being waterproof so it must be paired with rain gear. SO -I am considering replacing it with a puffy jacket that I already own that is lighter than the Cadog and a Kryptek Aegis. The Aegis is lightly insulated so I plan on using it as my outerlayer full time and layering with the puffy as needed. With that being said, if you are looking for a Cadog jacket in XL I may be tempted to let mine go.

Floorguy

WKR
Personally I am not a fan of softshells. The cadog is no exception I think the cadog/posiedon combo would be less warm than the posiedon/puffy. I think you will want dedicated rain pants as well.

jherald

WKR
I always have dedicated hard shell rain gear. I would not go without it, even if it was forecast to not rain. Hard shell rain wear is in my pack all the time as a standard piece of kit. It's dual duty as rain gear and wind block while glassing.

OP
Ronster

Ronster

Lil-Rokslider
Im pretty sure that the Cadog jacket is warmer than the puffy Kryptek jacket. I was able to put my hands on both and other than the option of the puffy having a hood I was pretty sold on the cadog until I found out its not water "proof".

The Cadog would likely work ok, but it's heavy/bulky, not THAT warm, and was not designed to primarily layer under things. The plus side is that it will be far more durable and wind resistant than a standard "puffy" insulation piece which may have applications in other forms of hunting/outdoor adventures.

If you really want to stick with Kryptek, and are looking primarily at sheep hunting, I'd lean toward the Kratos puffy and add a light fleece shirt or vest into the equation to up the warmth when needed. There are lots of variations on the insulation layer, and most of them work. High loft fleece isn't bad, or a puffy vest + fleece, or a light fleece + softshell. The differences are mostly in weight vs packability and durability. If you are in Fairbanks, odds are you have some layers in your gear closet that will work just fine.

It's kind of one of those things you need to try out to see what your body likes. After a few mountain storms, you figure it out.

As noted by others, you do need a hard shell for top and bottom.

Yk

RyanC

WKR
Ronster,

I would NOT buy the Cadog jacket for a sheep hunt. My top layers for sheep hunting include Merino base, Kryptek Sherpa Top as a mid layer, the Kratos Puffy Jacket, and the Koldo Rain Top. I will probably use their new Poseidon Rain Top this year on my sheep hunt but as of right now that is what I am going with. The Cadog jacket as for any softshell jacket is just a bit too heavy for my pack. My last sheep hunt I spent 90% of my time in a baselayer and Mid layer. In the mornings I throw on the puffy jacket to get my gear ready and it comes off as soon as I start walking. If it is raining or windy, the rain top will not only keep you dry but block the wind and keep you warm. IMO a puffy jacket is the way to go!

With your decision being between the #1 Cadog vs. #2 Borealis with Poseidon.....I would go with Option #2 all day! Good luck with everything.

Ryan

swat8888

WKR
I'm not a fan of soft shells sheep hunting....as others mentioned bulky and not hat warm. Warm/weight ratio just isn't there for me. I don't even run a "mid-layer". I run a merino long sleeve, puffy (on the heavy side but wind proof I have an OR havoc), and a hard shell.