Sheep/extended muley pack

cmeier117

WKR
That makes sense, but you realize the guy who designed this bag (Mark Seacat) loved and used the longbow and crew cab before this, so no upper attachment point. I think he always goes out with a few guys that have cameras etc... and they can split gear with that said I don't think they designed the meat carrying option to compete with KUIU and SG, but made the upper attachment points to compete with them. That is the main gripe about the nice frame. I think had they made the bad a little taller and approached 6000 cu inches they would have a winner. I just think for most guys it will be too small, and only big enough if you plan on carryinge meat the way the above picture shows which is not condusive to a comfortable pack out. I do like the side zip access option on this though.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I really like the looks of this pack, and the side access is an awesome idea, I think.

I also think higher load lifters with the meat shelf expanded would work better, but I couldn't say for sure without trying it out the way it is. Maybe it would work fine as is.

As far as the meat pushing the load too far out, in using packs similar to that design, it didn't really seem to have all that dramatic of an effect to me.

cmeier117

WKR
I really like the looks of this pack, and the side access is an awesome idea, I think.

I also think higher load lifters with the meat shelf expanded would work better, but I couldn't say for sure without trying it out the way it is. Maybe it would work fine as is.

As far as the meat pushing the load too far out, in using packs similar to that design, it didn't really seem to have all that dramatic of an effect to me.

How much weight do you have in the bags when you put weight in the load slings?

I've been on 11 sheep hunts (my own or helping) and I think you are right on on your ammo. I can't imagine going into sheep country without 20 rounds of ammo. You always need to be prepared if you slam your scope and need a few rounds to get back on target. I've heard too many horror stories of running out of ammo not to pack a few more ounces. The last thing you want is a wounded ram and no ammo.

Last edited:

There are some widely differing experience out there from people who have used load slings... Some love them, and other hate them. Why there are such differences in opinion really got my curiosity going a while back and I discussed this in some depth with Kurt @ Stone Glacier when trying to figure out how the concept worked.

To answer some of my questions, I ended up doing some basic CG calculations and computer modeling of traditional pack loading methods vs putting the meat in a loads sling. The model basically showed that putting the meat close to your back and pushing even a relatively heavy camp to the back shouldn't have any significant effect on the amount of shoulder pull on a pack IF... and this is a big IF... the meat can be distributed along the frame and held relatively tightly too it. If the meat is allowed to sag toward bottom, like MOST of the cheaper load sling packs on the market, the shoulder pull and forward lean required will get significant (and painful) very fast.

A properly set up load sling should not only keep the center of balance in basically the same spot as loading meat high and tight, it will actually lower the center of gravity, which some people may like in rough ground.

I've been evaluating a SG pack this year. Need to get some meat in it for final evaluation. My actual camp weight on the way out is usually ~ 20 lbs (discounting rifle weight), so I'm not seeing any reason why it would won't work.

Yk

Snyd

WKR

I've been evaluating a SG pack this year. Need to get some meat in it for final evaluation. My actual camp weight on the way out is usually ~ 20 lbs (discounting rifle weight), so I'm not seeing any reason why it would won't work.

Ya, I don't see 20-25 lbs of gear being an issue. The NICE frame is wide enough that depending on game bag meat could be flattened out pretty good. Head and horns on top under the lid. Plus, the lid will hold gear that would'nt be hanging off the back of the meat.

I still think it could be a viable pack. Maybe the load lifter situation could possibly be an issue. That would depend on how well the belt fit a guy.

OP
RedStag

RedStag

Lil-Rokslider
A few things here guys

The weight i had listed on my kimber was just a guess, im running closer to 7.5 scoped
im going to cut down my salt to about 2 pounds and just leave a fair amount at base camp.

There are a number of things I carry on myself at all times. Binos being one of them, just a regular harness, no case. i also have a folded laminated map and compass on me, my kuiu merino beanie in a pocket as well.

With the rip zip pocket, and stick it, it makes it very easy to attach some items outside the pack if necesarry.

My partner will also carry a large cannister of fuel, between the two of us we should be more than fine. Again we will leave a food cache at basecamp just in case we get really hungry. I have this bag fully compressed, so in otherwords there is a fair bit of room inside the pack for meat, I would think I could put two boned out rear quarters of a sheep/muley inside the pack. Unless my partner and I double header in one day, this should make a single animal pack out easy, even if i have a full pack. If both of us are tagged out and packing out full camp back down to the river, we can strap some lighter gear (sleeping bags/clothing) to the outside and make it out, WHATEVER IT TAKES.

I've trekked 4 days in a 3000cu.i pack a number of times, I dont see needing too much more than my metcalf, albeit the 6500 might be a little more luxurious.
Maybe Im not packing as much as some guys????

Snyd

WKR
Sounds like you have a great plan and have your gear pretty much dialed in. When is the hunt?

OP
RedStag

RedStag

Lil-Rokslider
August 7-24
Muskwa River area of Northern BC
We are solely targeting sheep although 3 point elk, 5 point caribou and bull moose all open on the 15th of august.
Anyone else headin to northern BC for sheep?

Snyd

WKR
August 7-24
Muskwa River area of Northern BC
We are solely targeting sheep although 3 point elk, 5 point caribou and bull moose all open on the 15th of august.
Anyone else headin to northern BC for sheep?

Excellent. I won't be in Northern BC, I'll be in Northern Alaska :D

I'd love to hunt those Stone Sheep someday. Not sure how that'd ever pan out though. I guess it comes down to $$$$$

AZ Ron

Lil-Rokslider
I took my Metcalf out for a hike this weekend with my son in central AZ. It was just a short overnighter to introduce my son to backpacking. I was carrying his sleeping bag and pad, as well as some other things for him. He carried his water, snacks, and a sweatshirt. We had a great trip and he had a lot of fun! The Metcalf felt great.

Here are some pics of my Metcalf loaded down...
Deer%2520Creek%2520Trail%2520Hike%2520052.JPG

Deer%2520Creek%2520Trail%2520Hike%2520041.JPG

Deer%2520Creek%2520Trail%2520Hike%2520001.JPG

Deer%2520Creek%2520Trail%2520Hike%2520005.JPG

Deer%2520Creek%2520Trail%2520Hike%2520004.JPG

Ron