Shed from the Same Elk, 1 year and 15 miles apart

I've spent the last 5 days bear hunting (unsuccessfully, but that's another post :rolleyes:). Saturday, I picked up a little elk shed. Today, in a totally different area, I saw another shed, picked it up, and immediately said out loud to myself, "you gotta be _____ing _____ing me..." (I'll let y'all play madlibs with the blanks).

Pics:

What's the difference in inches?

Kinda looks like it must take 25 years to hit 300".

Tho, there's a lot that can happen in a year. Should gain (x) when they are injured or hard winter and they don't grow.

OP
MountainFeral
The closer I’m looking at the details of these, the more convinced I am that they’re from the same animal… and if what I’ve read about convex vs concave pedicle seals indicating good vs poor health, it would make sense that he didn’t grow much considering the bigger shed is concave at the pedicle…IMG_1859.jpegIMG_1860.jpeg

mtnbound

WKR

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not uncommon for them to roam that distance, nor to not put a ton of growth in one year unless a genetic freak or on Gear🤣 depending on where they migrate or not from fall to spring it is all contingent on geography and region. Pedicles don’t lie and would say from the photo that is two separate bulls. Similar and common genetics for the region likely. Here is a bulls growth over 3 years in north Idaho. They often don’t roam too far from the fall in this region when they drop.

Attachments

• IMG_0782.jpeg
    IMG_0782.jpeg
    513.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider
It’s ok just to say Idaho. Was it DIY? 😂

North Idaho guys looking down on the south Idaho guys 😂

Pedicles can change over time too. It’s your story if you want them to be the same bull it’s the same bull.