Sharpening Valkyrie Broadheads

loneaggie

FNG
Spent a few hours tonight trying to touch up my bloodeagles but I am struggling to get them where I want them. I can get Montec M3s very sharp, Annihlators nice and sharp, and Iron Wills scary sharp. However these… barely grab nail. For those shooting them do you have any advice? Im basically using sandpaper around a dowel. I sharpie the edges and verify the entire blade face is in contact. FWIW I have a sharpness tester and my M3s are 200, and the Valkyries out of the box are 375 and I’m struggling to get one back under 400 after practicing. Ideas?

406unltd

WKR
Might not be what you were hoping for but what I’ve used on my jaggers the last few years is the sharpening kit I bought from Valkyrie as well. Incredibly sharp after running it through that system. I cannot speak to other ways of doing it. With that said, if you typically use three blade heads it is a sound investment.

Wrench

WKR
I have a tormek type sharpener and a valkyrie type. You'll be hard presses to beat the valkyrie for any 3 blade head. The tormek is fast to clean them up, but the paper is even superior to leather strops in my opinion.

The3 sided diamond rod would work, but you'll be there a long time.

Reactions: Zac
Yep the valkyrie sharpening system makes it stupid easy and fast, literally takes seconds per broadhead. Can't imagine trying without it. Its spendy but i definitely feel like a few hours of my time is worth more than than the cost of the sharpening system, as long as you already have a bench grinder lol

OP
loneaggie

loneaggie

FNG
With the Valkyrie wheels how sharp did they get? I realize that is somewhat subjective, but trying to get them sharper than they came. Are the wheels necessary just because the steel is so hard?

The owner brent had a video demonstrating it and thats what sold me. I have no idea if they get sharper cause they seemed plenty sharp to me when they came and they are really sharp after touching them up but yeah id imagine the hardness of the steel plays into it. Makes it easy and consistent for sure. I use it to touch up my pocket knives too

Wrench

WKR
I can shave my arm in a single pass after the wheel. Full disclosure, I made my wheels, but they're the same....MDF and grit.

OP
loneaggie

loneaggie

FNG
Great information. Thank you everyone. I had originally tried sharpening on a curved surface with back and forth strokes. I changed to splitting the blade into 3 sections and using side to side. This worked really well and I was able to get them down to 200 which I’m pretty happy with. I think they might be able to get a tad sharper with more time with polishing compound. I’ll have to look into trying a wheel if I like how they ventilate hogs the next few weeks.

Last edited:
With the Valkyrie wheels how sharp did they get? I realize that is somewhat subjective, but trying to get them sharper than they came. Are the wheels necessary just because the steel is so hard?
i bought his wheel sharpening kit before i bought his heads.... i knew i didn't want to mess with hand sharpening those.

did you happen to take them out of the foam when you got them? i did right when i got them, then put that head back in the foam, and that pretty much convinced me they were plenty sharp out of the pack... i have never experienced a head penetrating with less pressure.... almost falls back into that foam under it's own 200gr alone.... crazy. my testing so far is textbook bro science, but i'm impressed so far, and a good amount of shooting into a dirty rienhart, the edge is holding up great. i think that edge angle is limiting for sharpness, but it makes up for it in edge integrity, especially considering how sharp they do get.

if they are not much worse than IW for rust maintenance, i will probably stick with them as my recurve head.... if they rust easier like a vpa, i'll stick with IW

OR_Hunter

FNG
I find using the Valkyrie sharpening system works very well with getting the broadheads deathly sharp.

I realize this is an older thread but was curious if anyone used the Valkyrie sharpening system on two blade heads both single and double bevel? If so how is your results?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I realize this is an older thread but was curious if anyone used the Valkyrie sharpening system on two blade heads both single and double bevel? If so how is your results?

I have some of the expandables that valkyrie collaborated with evolution outdoors on and they dont come come as sharp as i like. I touch them up with it and it works great. I also sharpen my knives with the valkyrie system, its easy

I’ll be ordering the Valkyrie sharpening system soon. Looks like it will work great on any 3 blade head, not just his.

Wrench

WKR
Please... Share more... How you made your own sharpening wheels
I glued two 4x4 pieces of 1" mdf together to make a 2" thick block. I center drilled it and added a bolt. Chucked that up in the lathe and turned it till round. Added wax and rouge....spin with a drill or lathe and enjoy.