Sharpening Sevr blades

rclouse79

WKR
I monkeyed around with a jig on sandpaper and was able to get blades sharp, but based on my skill level it took me a long time and they probably could have been sharper. I had read that some people ruined blades using a worksharp belt sharpener on broadhead blades. Being on Christmas break and having time, I found a head I shot last year and gave it a go on the worksharp. I was able to hold the rounded part that sticks out to deploy the blades with the base of some locking forceps and run it through the sharpener no problem. After passing it through the medium grit belt a few times I had a nice burr. After a few times through the fine belt it was as sharp as I am ever likely to get it. It removed every hair it touched with light pressure. I think this will be my new method, as it was much faster and did a better job.

I have had good luck with the stay sharp jig and a smiths broadhead sharpener as well. I may do the worksharp right before the season now. Thanks for the info.

Bump79

WKR
I've had good luck using a workshop as well. Paying a little attention and using a really fine grit/strop

OP
rclouse79

rclouse79

WKR
I had four heads I didn’t get to last season. Just got them all razor sharp in the time it would have taken me to do one with the jig.

The Chef’s Choice 120 diamond wheel(s) sharpener has worked fairly well and quick on some mechanical and replaceable blades for me. Some without disassembly of the head. Otherwise I grab the loose blade with a small needle nose vise grip. Chef’s Choice puts a 20* blade angle on each side of the blade, and besides is awesome for kitchen and hunting knives. Even sharpens the disposable Havalon blades.

I did sharpen a few of the Ulmer Edge blades (forerunner of the Sevr). They were single bevel and took a bunch of prep on the coarse diamond wheels to grind a double bevel so never did many. But did get them way sharper than the crappy factory edge.