Sharpening QAD blades

Hey guys, seeing how popular the QAD Exodus heads seem to be I was wondering if anyone had any good tips for sharpening the blades. I have a staysharp guide for replaceable blades that worked well for the Wasp Drone heads I was using and also for a buddies Magnus Black Hornets, but I can't seem to get it to work on the Exodus blades. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Bump79

WKR
Interesting. What isn't working with it?

I'd start by marking the blade with a black sharpie. Then do a light pass to see how it's aligned. Adjust the blade until it's taking off the sharpie evenly. Do this on one side till it gets a burr then flip. Repeat with finer grits.

OP
Trout&Buck
Interesting. What isn't working with it?

I'd start by marking the blade with a black sharpie. Then do a light pass to see how it's aligned. Adjust the blade until it's taking off the sharpie evenly. Do this on one side till it gets a burr then flip. Repeat with finer grits.
It seems like I just can't get the blade to align in a way that I'm actually removing material from the edge of the blade. I've been marking it with sharpie and it looks like I'm only removing material from the back of the bevel.

I didn't have this much trouble with the other heads, so I figured I must be doing something wrong.

Bump79

WKR
It seems like I just can't get the blade to align in a way that I'm actually removing material from the edge of the blade. I've been marking it with sharpie and it looks like I'm only removing material from the back of the bevel.

I didn't have this much trouble with the other heads, so I figured I must be doing something wrong.
You either need to bring it in closer to the jig or you might need to add some marking tape to the wheels to make the angle steeper. There is a video on Staysharps website about that.

OP
Trout&Buck
You either need to bring it in closer to the jig or you might need to add some marking tape to the wheels to make the angle steeper. There is a video on Staysharps website about that.
Alright, I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Ho5tile1

WKR
You may have to change the bevel slightly I had the grey stay sharp guid and got em shaving sharp before I stopped using them. I also would buy the replacement blades as it was a pain to sharpen them good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stopped sharpening broadheads a few years ago. I just buy the replacement blades. I only have one or two I use for practice and the others are all for hunting only. If I shoot an animal then I just replace the blades. I suppose I could sharpen them again if I want and I might if it’s just a few blades here and there.

Just watched the video for the Blade Sled. That’s one of the easiest tools to sharpen replacement blades I have seen. I’ve used files, stones, KME, Gatco, Staysharp, etc. I just may need to get one and sharpen broadhead blades again! 🤣🤦🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

Ho5tile1

WKR
The reason I went to single bevel heads was they are easy to sharpen. If the blade get a ding in it I will try to get it out then it becomes a practice head only.

Reactions: Zac

Ho5tile1

WKR
If you like ease of sharpening - you can't beat a solid 3 blade broadhead.

I have some Magnus snuffer solid 3 blade that your just supposed to lay flat on a stone to sharpen but they won’t get sharp at all so I never used them

vmals

FNG
The iron will carbide sharpener + leather shrope works really well on them. I also use it to sharpen the blades on my sevrs.