SG Sky5900 vs Sky Archer 6400?

Probably because asym packs are not attractive with that growth hanging off one side. I'd put money that if you look at their sales history, that would even show up in the data. ST 6900 fixes this, but at that weight you're basically within a pound of a Kifaru frame plus bag of your choice. (Even the 6300 @ 5lb-8oz is pushing close to a Kifaru setup .. my Tactical frame + giant EMRII bag is right about 6.5 lbs, and much larger.)

I really wanted to try an SG X-curve, but their bags seriously do not do it for me. I've used a LOT of bags, and being in SAR I see all kinds from all sorts of differnt mfgs, dyneema to cordura1000, but SGs are just head-scratchers, like 'wtf were they thinking' and 'wow, those are some ugly packs.'

But that frame is tempting for sure ...

Also, the R3 line... .who thought THAT was a good color scheme and angle to shoot(!) those bigger packs? I mean, really....

Cheers,
-mox
Not trying to argue, but the weight thing is actually bigger gap. sG packs come with lid as well, so add a Kifaru lid and add another 11 ounces.

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
Fair.

Details:
1) seems too tall and awkward for ducking branches and nav'ing blowdowns
2) asym design encourages unbalanced loads, including calling it a spotter pocket as optics are heavy/dense
3) asym design forgoes usable space on the opposite side
4) lid seems prone to snagging being that far up top (vs on lower wider pack)
5) no center zip or deep access noted - if you need something in the bottom you pull everything out. Could be wrong here, but most topload-only can be a bit annoying after a while.

It seems like a standard Worksack- style bag with a weird lump. Shrug.

As for the lid, for example, many Kifaru packs are much larger to start with and so a lid is not needed.

Ex: EMR2 is 6000main, + 2x1200 for zip pockets, and that does not include the two large drawstring pockets or the 2 long sleeve pockets. So Kifaru starts off heavier, but does bring a bit more to the table at the outset. I have not run a lid for a few years now, just never needed it.

Not saying SG isn't great gear, just making sure we are being fairly consistent in the actual comparisons for anyone third-party who stumbles in. At this level or durability, xpac really is not THAT MUCH lighter due to the facing fabric since it appears to be using 500d Cordura as the facing fabric on it, so .. /shrug

But a pound is a pound, so I totally get it.

Cheers,
-mox

Yeah. But if you read it all discussion continued after you announced your choice. I am just reading this thread now trying to decide which bag to get myself. My post was to mention that the 6400 has a full length side zipper so others reading this thread would note that.

Last edited: