SG Sky5900 vs Sky Archer 6400?

atmat

WKR
Wanted to get everyone’s thoughts on which pack to go with?

Honestly, it’ll probably see most of its use packed down in bivvy mode for 2-3 days at a time. But I’d like the option to have a 5-8 day pack.

I like the center pocket on the Sky5900 for day use items (rain gear, etc) that I need readily available. The flip side is those could just go into the lid on the 6400.

I don’t archery hunt, but I’d like to get into it and like the idea of being able to strap the bow easily to the 6400 while still accessing the whole pack.

Any thoughts?

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
I was in the same boat as you, but wanted zipper access to a side spotter, not even for a spotter, (wet clothes, wet tent, etc), I didn’t like the 6400 for that reason, ended up getting the 6900 and won’t look back, unless they make the 3600 with external zipper access for a spotter. I don’t understand the internal scope access without zipper on the outside, when the pack is full is virtually impossible to get in and out. I didn’t go for the 5900 because I want to attach a bow and spotter pocket to me would get bulgy. they all pack down to nothing for day use anyways.
Also one last thing when bow is attached to the 6900 you can just put everything you need for the day in the side pockets and lid doesn’t matter to me that the center zipper is blocked

OP
A

atmat

WKR
I was in the same boat as you, but wanted zipper access to a side spotter, not even for a spotter, (wet clothes, wet tent, etc), I didn’t like the 6400 for that reason, ended up getting the 6900 and won’t look back, unless they make the 3600 with external zipper access for a spotter. I don’t understand the internal scope access without zipper on the outside, when the pack is full is virtually impossible to get in and out. I didn’t go for the 5900 because I want to attach a bow and spotter pocket to me would get bulgy. they all pack down to nothing for day use anyways.
Also one last thing when bow is attached to the 6900 you can just put everything you need for the day in the side pockets and lid doesn’t matter to me that the center zipper is blocked
Thanks for the response. I agree, I’m not keen on the 6400 having no zippered external pockets to quickly stash or keep wet gear separate.

I haven’t looked much at the 6900 as I thought it started to get bigger than I’d need. But maybe I need to.

D S 319

WKR
I haven’t quite figured out how to open the pack with my bow attached to it on my 6400 very well But I’m happy with it none the less.

OP
A

atmat

WKR
I haven’t quite figured out how to open the pack with my bow attached to it on my 6400 very well But I’m happy with it none the less.
Thank you for the response! Honestly, as someone who doesn’t bow hunt yet, I wondered how feasible it would be to open while strapped to a bow anyway.

You don’t mind the lack of an external pocket? Also, how do you like the internal spotting scope pocket?

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for the response. I agree, I’m not keen on the 6400 having no zippered external pockets to quickly stash or keep wet gear separate.

I haven’t looked much at the 6900 as I thought it started to get bigger than I’d need. But maybe I need to.
No prob, Look on the website I’m pretty sure, the 5900 6400 and 6900 (excluding spotter pockets) in bivy mode are all 4800 size,

D S 319

WKR
Thank you for the response! Honestly, as someone who doesn’t bow hunt yet, I wondered how feasible it would be to open while strapped to a bow anyway.

You don’t mind the lack of an external pocket? Also, how do you like the internal spotting scope pocket?
not very feasible, I don’t even mess with it. just toss my bow over my shoulder.

My pack prior was a Sitka 2700 so I haven’t really had a pack with external pockets to know how nice they might be. But I don’t mind not having it so far. I have a pouch on the hip belt. If I gotta get into my pack I have to take it off anyhow.

Spotting scope pocket is somewhat nice it does protect it a bit more, but really only able to throw trekking poles on that side when in use due to the bulge and I’m only using a compact razr typically.

I just used mine all weekend without the lid as a daypack with 0 complaints. I love the pack sometimes I’m frustrated with the lack of internal storage, but I manage just fine using their swing out pockets with the things I wanna grab quickly other than that I gotta fish around a bit.

Last edited:
I went with the Talus 6900 and love it. Cinches down pretty good. Love the center zipper as well as the roll top. I had a Beartooth before this and at 5200ci, I swore I’d never skimp on pack space/size again. With the bivvy mode you can definitely use it as a day - 3 day pack but also get the luxury of extended hunts. I also picked up an Avail as an EDC kind of backpack but can throw it on the frame if I really wanted a true day pack as well.

OP
A

atmat

WKR
I love how I asked about the Sky5900 vs Archer6400… and everyone’s answer has been Talus6900. Looks like I need to consider that instead!

OldGrayJB

WKR
I have the 5900 and I love it. However, during rifle season, when you carry extra layers and a bulkier sleeping bag, it fills up quickly. Last time I packed it for 7 days, I had my sleep pad strapped to the outside. That's without carrying a spotter. If I tried to go over 7 days I would've probably used the load shelf for my food.

SpringM1A

Lil-Rokslider
Running a Sky Archer on my goat hunt this year. Was a coin flip between that and the Sky Talus. Decided I probably wouldn’t care for the center zip on the Talus when the bow is attached. Side pockets would’ve been slick, but I like the SA so far... Only Kuiu experience I have is an old first gen Ultra. Liked the frame and belt. Bag and zippers didn’t last long though. I’m sure the Pro’s are an upgrade however.

OP
A

atmat

WKR
Running a Sky Archer on my goat hunt this year. Was a coin flip between that and the Sky Talus. Decided I probably wouldn’t care for the center zip on the Talus when the bow is attached. Side pockets would’ve been slick, but I like the SA so far... Only Kuiu experience I have is an old first gen Ultra. Liked the frame and belt. Bag and zippers didn’t last long though. I’m sure the Pro’s are an upgrade however.
Can you open the SA6400 without taking your bow off?

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I like my SA6400, I've been loading it up this week for a 5-day hunt and it has plenty of room. There is a swing-out attachment point right next to the zipper, I like to put quick-access items there like ear protection, bipod, etc. Haven't tried the pack with a bow yet.

Only negative I can think of is that their Camp Pocket doesn't work the best with the pack. Accessing it from the side can feel a little awkward. A less-than-ideal solution is to tilt it upwards and access it from the top opening of the pack. But I feel like the Camp Pocket is really best-suited for their horseshoe packs.

I have owned 2 SA6400's and am thinking about going back. at 5lbs-8oz it is one of the lightest expedition style packs. Couple of swing out pockets and the spotter pocket are perfect for how I organize. I'm surprised this pack doesn't get more love.

I have also owned the sky talus and you will not be disappointed. Its only 4 ounces heavier than the SA6400 and does offer more organization.

One thing to note that nobody has mentioned is the open side pockets at the bottom of the pack are much deeper/larger than the SA6400. You can even see it on the website, the one on the right that is supposed to be for storage on the SA6400 is shallower than the ST6900.

I actually called SG shop and asked about this and they actually really didn't have an answer why the SA6400 didn't have the same dimension pocket on the right side as the sky talus 6900 does on both sides.

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
I'm surprised this pack doesn't get more love.

Probably because asym packs are not attractive with that growth hanging off one side. I'd put money that if you look at their sales history, that would even show up in the data. ST 6900 fixes this, but at that weight you're basically within a pound of a Kifaru frame plus bag of your choice. (Even the 6300 @ 5lb-8oz is pushing close to a Kifaru setup .. my Tactical frame + giant EMRII bag is right about 6.5 lbs, and much larger.)

I really wanted to try an SG X-curve, but their bags seriously do not do it for me. I've used a LOT of bags, and being in SAR I see all kinds from all sorts of differnt mfgs, dyneema to cordura1000, but SGs are just head-scratchers, like 'wtf were they thinking' and 'wow, those are some ugly packs.'

But that frame is tempting for sure ...

Also, the R3 line... .who thought THAT was a good color scheme and angle to shoot(!) those bigger packs? I mean, really....

Cheers,
-mox

OP
A

atmat

WKR
Probably because asym packs are not attractive with that growth hanging off one side. I'd put money that if you look at their sales history, that would even show up in the data. ST 6900 fixes this, but at that weight you're basically within a pound of a Kifaru frame plus bag of your choice. (Even the 6300 @ 5lb-8oz is pushing close to a Kifaru setup .. my Tactical frame + giant EMRII bag is right about 6.5 lbs, and much larger.)

I really wanted to try an SG X-curve, but their bags seriously do not do it for me. I've used a LOT of bags, and being in SAR I see all kinds from all sorts of differnt mfgs, dyneema to cordura1000, but SGs are just head-scratchers, like 'wtf were they thinking' and 'wow, those are some ugly packs.'

But that frame is tempting for sure ...

Also, the R3 line... .who thought THAT was a good color scheme and angle to shoot(!) those bigger packs? I mean, really....

Cheers,
-mox
It seems like your criticism is mostly surrounding aesthetics, which is a weird thing to be critical of in an expedition pack.

I bought the ST6900 on an Evo frame at 5lb 2oz. That’s 1lb, 6oz (20%) lighter than the pack you mentioned — which is quite a lot.

So far I love it, but it hasn’t seen much backcountry time yet.